Bubblicious Gopher Wish List (Wednesday)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Tuesday's Good
1. Gophers over Indiana
2. Texas over Oklahoma State
3. Michigan State over Michigan
4. Clemson over Boston College

Tuesday's Bad
1. UNLV over TCU
2. Kentucky over Florida
3. Stanford over Cal State Bakersfield
4. Providence over South Florida

Gopher Fans' Wednesday Wish List (in order of importance)
1. Colorado State over BYU (double whammy; BYU one of my last 4 in & we beat the Rams)
2. Utah over San Diego State (Aztecs one of my first 4 out)
3. St. John's over Cincinnati (Bearcats one of my first 4 out)
4. Oklahoma over Baylor (Bears on the bubble)
5. Iowa over Wisconsin (Badgers one of my last 4 in)
6. Purdue over Penn State (helps Gophers chances of top-5 Big 10 finish)
7. Mississippi State over LSU (Tigers leading SEC West & overall but still a bubble team)
8. Texas Tech over Kansas State (K-State on the bubble)
9. Xavier over Dayton (late-season slide could put Flyers on the bubble)
10. Georgia Tech over Virginia Tech (Hokies in good shape but not out of the woods)
11. Georgia over Tennessee (SOS saving Vols but still, they need to start winning)
12. UConn over Syracuse (Orangemen have brutal finishing schedule)
13. Memphis over Tulsa (if Golden Hurricane lose, they're out of the at-large picture entirely)
14. St. Bonaventure over Rhode Island (URI a fringe at-large candidate)
15. Bowling Green over Toledo (every little bit helps)
16. Georgia State over Towson (every little but helps)
17. High Point over Winthrop (every little bit helps)

this is interesting stuff don't get me wrong (and it looks like you go to a lot of trouble tallying this stuff so don't think i am belittling you), but wouldn't we rather take care of our own business and earn our way in rather than backing our way in by 17 degrees of transitivity. i would rather wisconsin win because wisconsin being down makes the conference look weak, and with a week conference comes less at large bids. besides we beat them at the kohl center and if we do our job and win the games we should to finish out conference play we don't have to worry about what IUPUI is doing.

You are correct. Take care of their own business and the Gophers will have no trouble making the tournament. No argument here. However. ...

"With a weak conference comes less at large bids."

Individual teams get bids, not conferences. I can envision no scenario where Wisconsin beating Iowa tonight is beneficial to the Gophers, and that's not even taking into account our border rivlary.

We only care what IUPUI is doing when they play NDSU or SDSU.;)

Transitivity has nothing to do with it. It's all about RPI and where the Gophers finish in the conference. Wisconsin and PSU losing tonight would go a long way to helping the team finish in the top 5. That would all but guarantee a tourney bid.

How would Wisconsin losing tonight make the conference look weak? They would be losing to a conference foe, Copernicus. Cheer for B10 schools in OOC games, in conference games cheer for whoever moves the Gophers up the standings.

Transitivity has nothing to do with it. It's all about RPI and where the Gophers finish in the conference. Wisconsin and PSU losing tonight would go a long way to helping the team finish in the top 5. That would all but guarantee a tourney bid.

How would Wisconsin losing tonight make the conference look weak? They would be losing to a conference foe, Copernicus. Cheer for B10 schools in OOC games, in conference games cheer for whoever moves the Gophers up the standings.

copernicus, huh? it is dickheads like yourself that make being a gopher fan almost unbearable. in case you missed the spirit of my post--something which i don't think SS did, i was merely stating that the gophers should win the games that they should win and let the rpi take care of itself. minnesota winning the games it is supposed to (remaining home games-norhtwestern, wisconsin and michigan) would go even further than anything else the gophers actually have control over.

copernicus... *shakes head*... i can't wait to get into a pissing match with you over something so idiotic.

I love your list and find it very good...i sort of use it as a reference to what games are worth trying to find on tv or online. however, i see you pick some ranked teams over some bubble teams, and i start to think.....wouldnt we want the gophers to take care of themselves and have some of these teams ranked ahead of us fall to improve our seeding? For example...Dayton beating Xavier tonight knocks Xavier out of a few places in seeding for sure.

Who cares if we get in the tourney through the back door or the front door? Of course, I'd prefer we handled our own business to leave nothing to chance, but as long as we get in the tourney, in the end, I could careless if we needed help or not.

"Wouldnt we want the gophers to take care of themselves and have some of these teams ranked ahead of us fall to improve our seeding?"

A good question. But keep in mind, I'm producing this list only with "making the tournament" in mind. Not bringing seeding into the equation. ... just getting into the NCAA is the focus.

copernicus... *shakes head*... i can't wait to get into a pissing match with you over something so idiotic.

Touchy, touchy. It's not like I called you a dickhead...oh wait, you did that.

You made a dumb point (Team A losing an in-conference game makes the conference look weak) and I pointed it out by using a rip from a popular television show. Take it easy.

I have a solution, don't post stupid things. I'm kidding, of course.

Touchy, touchy. It's not like I called you a dickhead...oh wait, you did that.

You made a dumb point (Team A losing an in-conference game makes the conference look weak) and I pointed it out by using a rip from a popular television show. Take it easy.

I have a solution, don't post stupid things. I'm kidding, of course.

first, it is not a dumb point. most college basketball fans would judge the stength of a conference based on how many teams make the ncaa tournament. wisconsin has a pretty easy stretch coming up and if it beats teams like iowa it would have a decent chance of being the seventh big ten team in the tournament--if all the other bubble teams in the big ten get in.

second, who made you the dumb post moniter. this is a free board where everyone's free to make a whatever statements they want. i always find it somewhat sad when someone sitting in front of a computer screen pounding on a keyboard tries to intimidate other posters on an anonymous board. it is almost as bad as people who correct others grammar.

i'm kidding, of course.

Well, you can forget about clicking off one of your wish list.

Xavier 55 Dayton 71 FINAL

Top Bottom