JucoRecruiting: 2011 JUCO TOP 100 - Ingram #40, Welch #42

I notice Carlos Emory another local product that is headed to Oregon is rated #10. I wonder if MN would have known about the departure of Colton earlier if there would have been mutual interest between the Gophers and Emory.

Congrats to Welch and Ingram! Should be solid additions to the roster.

How does a big ten team with two starting positions available not do better than 40 and 42 in JUCo recruiting? A little dissappointing in my opinion.

I notice Carlos Emory another local product that is headed to Oregon is rated #10. I wonder if MN would have known about the departure of Colton earlier if there would have been mutual interest between the Gophers and Emory.

I believe the gophs looked at him multiple times, and knew about him all along. I don't think they ever got serious for some reason.

agreed

How does a big ten team with two starting positions available not do better than 40 and 42 in JUCo recruiting? A little dissappointing in my opinion.

The only big basketball schools with any lower ranked juco's were Georgia and USC taking flyers on a couple of 7 footers. Not a good sign.

Two starting positions? I assume PG, what's the other one, I'm curious?

Would have been nice to be a little higher than that, but I'm guessing they weren't even going JUCO with either position until first Devoe left, and then Colton hightailing. This is a complete guess, but I'm thinking those schools ahead of us had a jump on recruiting a lot of those higher ranked JUCO kids cause they knew those spots would be open prior to the season starting. Again, I could be wrong, and you can fault Tubby for not deciding to recruit JUCO harder early in the year, but just throwing that out there. Grades were probably a factor as well, as for whatever reason, it seems like it's hard to get kids here from JUCOs to this school.

You have to realize that in fantasy land Ingram is starting and Mbakwe only sees minutes if he gets in foul trouble.

I've been underwhelmed by both from everything I've read and seen.

Ingram and Welch are much, much, much more likely to be on the Limar Wilson and Engen Nurumbi end of the specturm than the Bobby J and Mbakwe side.

Being outside the top 20 on a JUCO list is like being outside the top 150 for HSers. However, they get 2 years to play, not 4.

I guess I'd temper any expectations that they become significant contributors. Heck, Bostick was JUCO player of the year, listed as a top 5 player coming out of those ranks and he underperformed modest expectations. If you view Ingram or Welch as anything more than the 4th or 5th guys off the bench, you're setting them up for failure.

I'm highly skeptical of the impact of a JUCO transfer, especially ones with a resume of Welch(yes I know he "dominated" as a freshman at UC-Davis) or Ingram.

Tubby wants to play a structured/disciplined game. Juco ball is not known for structure and discipline. Tubby perhaps is not able to find a number of Juco players who can fit into his system quickly taking into consideration two years of eligibility remaining. In that sense, Juco players recruited by Tubby, I think, mostly are for the purpose of reserve and insurance. Ingram fits the bill. Welch, having a year of Div I experience like TM, may turn out to be a different story. Hopefully, Welch can fit in more quickly.

That is, we may have to appreciate the factor of "fitting in"/roles as much as the rankings when it comes to Juco players.

All I know is that Bostick was the #1 JUCO player and he didn't turnout, while Carter wasn't a highly recruited JUCO and he was awesome. I think JUCO rankings are even less accurate than normal high school prospect rankings. Glad to have both of these guys on the team and I can't wait to see them play.

Welch, having a year of Div I experience like TM, may turn out to be a different story. Hopefully, Welch can fit in more quickly.

Yes.

There is a difference between JUCO players not recruited to play D1 ball out of HS and guys that use Jr. College as a transition season.

I've been underwhelmed by both from everything I've read and seen.

Everything? What are you reading and "seeing" about Welch that has you underwhelmed? He was freshman of the year, followed by player of the year over the last 2 years. Of the little information out there is out there, it is all positive. If Welch is the 4th-5th guy off the bench next year, the Gopher's are in big trouble.

All I expect from Ingram is a few minutes, a few fouls and a few dunks. Welch, Andre, and Coleman should improve our guard play. Mav, Andre, or Welch has to step up and run the team as the pg, I think that will happen but time will tell. With our red shirts and injured players returning we should be much better. Walker Elliot Oto will add options depth and all that. Go Gophs

All I know is that Bostick was the #1 JUCO player and he didn't turnout, while Carter wasn't a highly recruited JUCO and he was awesome. I think JUCO rankings are even less accurate than normal high school prospect rankings. Glad to have both of these guys on the team and I can't wait to see them play.

I think you're right Madtown.

It will be interesting to see how accurate these ratings are. Both Pierre Jackson and Sam Grooms were on the Gophers radar (no's 1 and 3 on that list) and the Gophers went hard after Julian Welch.

Would have been nice to be a little higher than that, but I'm guessing they weren't even going JUCO with either position until first Devoe left, and then Colton hightailing. This is a complete guess, but I'm thinking those schools ahead of us had a jump on recruiting a lot of those higher ranked JUCO kids cause they knew those spots would be open prior to the season starting. Again, I could be wrong, and you can fault Tubby for not deciding to recruit JUCO harder early in the year, but just throwing that out there. Grades were probably a factor as well, as for whatever reason, it seems like it's hard to get kids here from JUCOs to this school.

Point guard and shooting guard. Austin Hollins is not a shoe in at the 2- needs to improve -though he looks promising. Rodney is not a 2. Armelin needs an outside shot. So the 2 guard is an open competition.

Our starting PG and SG both graduated...we have two Sophomores to fill their shoes and neither was great last year...how is that not two????

But a JUCO isn't filling the 2-guard spot. It's not like either were signed to play the 2 or something. We signed two freshmen guard/wings in Coleman and Hollins already, both in or very near the top 100 in the country. I wouldn't use a JUCO spot to grab another shooting guard. I guess I took his comment to mean that we were filling two starting spots with JUCOs and could only must a couple of 40 rank guys.

Top Bottom