Don Zierden's postgame comments

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
I realize Zierden (who for the record I think does a very good job as analyst) was looking for the positives, but talk about trying to put a nice dress on a pig? Listening to Zierden after the game he made it sound like the Gophers had just done a lot of wonderful things on the basketball court. That's not what I saw, and it was pretty obvious Tubby was none too happy.

As always, will take a win any way we can get it, especially at this time of year, but I didn't leave the arena feeling very good about the Gophers' performance. That was vintage Chicago White Sox "winnin' ugly" (circa 1983). Basically, the Gophers won because IU is awful, and because the Gophers had a two-minute stretch when their full-court pressure frazzled the Hoosiers (good call Bleed). With the schedule we have remaining, the Gophers can't afford any more performances like last night.

I was amazed by his comments as well. An 'A' for "run, run, run?" High marks on all three game keys? I left feeling exactly as you did. We would not have beaten any other Big ten team tonight. This team is really trying hard but has totally lost it's confidence. The only two guys who have confidence on the offensive end right now are Joseph and Carter. The rest appear hesitant about everything, shooting, passing moving without the ball- you name it.
Another thing continued last night that is mystifying: They still are have a whale of a time just getting the ball in bounds on a pass in from under the basket. Basic.

The good thing is that I can't see the team remaining in this funk forever. The last really good offensive game was either Penn State or OSU. Maybe there is something about the Penn State matchups that will give our players confidence.

It's hard to figure, we are 19-5, 7-5 in the B10. Tell me in November that we are looking at that record in mid Feb and I would have been elated. I'm pleased, but the lads are sure struggling on offense. No flow, few easy baskets. Nothing coming easy at this point. I look for more ugly dog fights in our future.

Can't disagree

with your assessment, Hodger. They've hit a plateau (or taken a step or two back) since the Wisconsin game and seemed to have lost any energy on offense that they displayed. (I recall actually seeing some players moving without the ball toward the basket instead of shuffling around the 3-point line.)

I sensed a large amount of resigned frustration from Tubby last night. While I saw the "stare" at times, there were other times when he seemed to be looking in disbelief at what was going on out on the court. Thank goodness he had Carter on the bench to use as he scored as much as the entire starting five.

The press defense did its job but I would have been happier if we'd also put it on toward the end of the first half to extend the lead.

The only solace I took was Tubby's comment that some of the team were still under the weather.

"The only solace I took was Tubby's comment that some of the team were still under the weather."

Interesting you bring that up, Snowman. That's pretty much what my buddy said right after the game. He said he sure hoped the Gophers had a lot of guys under the weather because the Gophers certainly looked "sick" last night.

I'm feeling a lot less certain about our NCAA chances than I was 24 hours ago. If we play much more basketball resembling last night, we're in deep doo-doo. Every game from here on out is going to be a dogfight, as every opponent remaining is either a lock for the NCAAs or at least in the conversation for a bid. Here's hoping the Gophers are more "fight" than "dog" down the stretch.

As the year goes on and things are winding down, I am beginning to wonder if it is reasonable for us to expect any more progress in the half court offense. My gut feeling is that we will not see any big "breakthroughs" from today until the end of the year. I had hoped that we would see improvement each game and that the team would find an offensive identity with a leader, or two, to set the tone. As a whole, that hasn't happened.

Watching our offense from last year, I know we have made some progress. And when I watch this team struggle so mightily on the offensive end, I have to thank God that Tubby is our coach and he is squeezing so much water from these assorted rocks.

Maybe I need to adjust my expectations and realize that the "chemistry" might not be coming any time soon for these 11 guys. On a smaller scale, there have been some positives. Paul Carter is emerging. Ralph Sampson is looking more comfortable and, for a freshman, is becoming a presence in the paint. DJ continues to alter shots and get us easy buckets with this defense.

I can't imagine it's any small task to do what Tubby is trying to do. I still think we are ahead of schedule.

Excellent point, Shik. The Gophers are way ahead of schedule in just Year 2. It's after games like last night where I need to remind myself of that. I just think back to Clemson two short years ago to regain some perspective. I take it as a good sign that I've gotten to the point where I can be disappointed with a winning effort that gets us to 2 games over .500 in the Big 10.

Top Bottom