Game observations..

gopherguy05

Section 246 Row 4
Reaction score
First game in quite a long time actually in the Barn for me and here's what I saw:

Paul Carter's shot was as flat as Kiera Knightly in the first half. He improved greatly in the second, but man his first 5 or so minutes in he looked bad. he even said so on the postgame radio interview on CCO on the way home..

Al Nolan needs to work on his decision making. He threw some horrible passes into the post, forced some that were never there, and had some wide open looks and double clutched and held the ball. He really needs to improve if we are going to go anywhere postseason wise.

Westbrook looked lost several times tonight..not his best game

Bostick looked even worse. I can tell why he isn't getting a lot of minutes

Jon Williams may be one of the worst gophers in the history of the program. Tubby gave him waaaay to much time tonight instead of Iversen. Not sure why Colton sat so much in the second half. He wasn't great, but he was much better then Williams missing dunks, committing crappy fouls and getting beat defensively.

Abu-Shamalla looked good tonight I thought.

All in all ita a good thing we were playing Indiana tonight, because for as sloppy and bad shooting at times as we were they were worse.

First game in quite a long time actually in the Barn for me and here's what I saw:

Paul Carter's shot was as flat as Kiera Knightly in the first half. He improved greatly in the second, but man his first 5 or so minutes in he looked bad. he even said so on the postgame radio interview on CCO on the way home..

Al Nolan needs to work on his decision making. He threw some horrible passes into the post, forced some that were never there, and had some wide open looks and double clutched and held the ball. He really needs to improve if we are going to go anywhere postseason wise.

Westbrook looked lost several times tonight..not his best game

Bostick looked even worse. I can tell why he isn't getting a lot of minutes

Jon Williams may be one of the worst gophers in the history of the program. Tubby gave him waaaay to much time tonight instead of Iversen. Not sure why Colton sat so much in the second half. He wasn't great, but he was much better then Williams missing dunks, committing crappy fouls and getting beat defensively.

Abu-Shamalla looked good tonight I thought.

All in all ita a good thing we were playing Indiana tonight, because for as sloppy and bad shooting at times as we were they were worse.

gopherguy- I have been a Bostick booster because I think he has the kind of offensive upside that they really badly need. I know he aired an open three ball but he did make a very nice little running bank shot and he once again showed me he's one of our better passers. He's one of the few guys that either makes a move or snaps off a pass when he gets the ball. He's working harder on defense though he's not there yet. What did you see that made him look so bad to you?

I still maintain that Bostick needs to get into the flow of the game to really get going. I think the skills are there, and whenever he gets extended minutes he does well. He isn't the immediate off the bench type...playing 3 minutes here and there is tough.

I agree bostick has the offensive skills however his defense is a bit suspect still and vince taylor chewed him out during a timeout for not boxing his man out on two consecutive possessions. But you are right in he needs to see extended minutes.

I think Bostic needs to play more, but I also feel that he should drive a ton instead of taking 3's. His deep shot has been dreadful to say the least the last 10 games, but everytime he drives something good happends and we don't have that dimention right now.

Williams played more tonight instead of Colton because Colton had the flu.

Bostick looked terrible? Really? In 3 minutes of action? How did Travis Busch look in 0 minutes? Awesome? Awful? You can't tell.

I agree with the rest, let DB play more, get him in the flow of the game more.

I disagree with Carter looking awful in the first 5 mns as well. Yeah he missed a shot or two, but what do you expect? Everyone to make every field goal they take? There is more to basketball than just making shots. I don't think you get it. He looked really terrible about 4 minutes in when he blocked the hell out of a lay-up attempt...I mean are you kidding me?

Sorry for knocking your take, but lets just agree...

The entire team was sloppy as hell tonight at times. But a W is a W and we'll take it.

Favorite part of the game last night...after Pritchard fouled out with 3:57 left in the game and refused to actually sit down and the whole student section was chanting for the remainder of the game, "Stannnnnnding, stannnnnnding!" Then, during every time out we would resume the "Left, Right, Left, Right" cheer as he moved. My right arm is sore this morning from constantly moving it in a chop motion while chanting towards Pritchard. Good times.

Favorite part of the game last night...after Pritchard fouled out with 3:57 left in the game and refused to actually sit down and the whole student section was chanting for the remainder of the game, "Stannnnnnding, stannnnnnding!" Then, during every time out we would resume the "Left, Right, Left, Right" cheer as he moved. My right arm is sore this morning from constantly moving it in a chop motion while chanting towards Pritchard. Good times.

I'm only assuming it will start right back up again next year, right?

Williams played more tonight instead of Colton because Colton had the flu.

Bostick looked terrible? Really? In 3 minutes of action? How did Travis Busch look in 0 minutes? Awesome? Awful? You can't tell.

I agree with the rest, let DB play more, get him in the flow of the game more.

I disagree with Carter looking awful in the first 5 mns as well. Yeah he missed a shot or two, but what do you expect? Everyone to make every field goal they take? There is more to basketball than just making shots. I don't think you get it. He looked really terrible about 4 minutes in when he blocked the hell out of a lay-up attempt...I mean are you kidding me?

Sorry for knocking your take, but lets just agree...

The entire team was sloppy as hell tonight at times. But a W is a W and we'll take it.

I agree a W is a W. However, had we been playing anyone but Indianda that would have been an L.

Bostick airballed the three, and like was said above didn;t box out at least twice I saw. He got burnt defensively as well. Maybe its true that he needs to get into the flow of the game, but it felt to me watching the game was too fast for him last night and he couldn't keep up.

As for Carter, I was sitting near the front of the upper deck on the rim where Indiana was shooting in the first half. I could see the shot trajectories really well from there. Carter's first three or four jump shots were basicially line drives. They were flat in that the had no arc what so ever. They were basicially goign right into the side of the rim with no real chance of getting in. That improved greatly in the second half, and he also drove to the hole a lot more, which is antoehr thing he said on the postgame interview that Coach Saul Smith told him he should be doing and it worked. Paul had a great game, but had his shot warmed up a little earlier this might not have ever been close. Hopefully he can get into his rhythm sooner for the rest of the season.

This was fun during the media timeout and then it got old.

It was perfect for Indiana. The game was still in the balance, you could see the Gophers were a little skiddish and Indiana knew they had a chance if a couple shots fell, and because most of Section 110 (the section I sit in) preferred to chant at a kid who couldn't possibly influence the game any further rather than provided noise/support for the Gophers at both ends of the floor, the crowd was effectively neutralized down the stretch in this one. I'm sure everyone on both squads was aware that, for some strange reason, a chunk of the students had tuned out of the game at this point.

I'm all for heckling. I do plenty of it myself. Often times though, supporting the team through making noise while they're defending and supporting them while they attack, rather than harassing players on the opposing bench, may be a more helpful way to utilize 2,200 voices to help the team in whatever way these things help teams.

GG05 I liked the Keira Knightly reference, it made me laugh. In my honest opinion I think we can attribute their inconsistency to the simple fact that this is an extremely young team. None of them have been on a Gopher team that has had this much success this early on and I think the pressure is exposing their inexperience. I expect them to be in the tournament and if they play REALLY well down the stretch possibly Sweet 16. Next year is the year that I can't wait for already with the experience they are going to have and the new recruits they will be very good next year.

Bostick's playing time

I'll admit, I've been one that's been pining for Bostick to get more playing time. Can his defense really be as bad as JAS?

I'd venture to guess that this is the FIRST time in Bostick's entire basketball life that he's had to worry about getting yanked for making a mistake. You don't think that makes him play with a little apprehension?

I noted it before with some stats; he plays minutes, he makes an impact and scores. It's been pretty simple. I actually thought he had a couple of nice boards last night and someone else noted, a nice mid-range jumper he knocked down, something nobody else on this team seems to be able to do.

Anyway, I don't know about anybody else but after being basically a star, primary scoring threat, his whole life, it would wreak havoc on my game if I had to worry about getting yanked every time I set foot on the floor.

You could argue that he should start for Westbrook for a game or two, since LW's defense is nothing to write home about either.

Top Bottom