Did Carter earn a spot on the starting lineup??

GoldenHerbs

Reaction score
Ive wanted to see him start at the 4spot for the past 5-6 games, let Iverson sit. Yea he takes some bad shots once in a while but he is full of energy and probably the best pure athelete on the team. I think he earned that spot tonight but Tubby might like his spark off the bench and keep him there. Colton made several more mistakes tonight but had a couple good plays and tough layups. We will need to do something because our half court offense is looking sad and we have a tough schedule ahead.

Oh yea and totally off subject but when are they gonna announce what day and time for the Michigan at Minn. game, I need to make plans and its still TBD. WTF??

It doesn't matter who starts. The match ups will determine who plays when and how long as the game wears on. If Carter starts who sit down? Johnson is not going to be the one and he basically plays the same position. Iverson and Sampson are the future and they have to get their minutes. Carter will get his minutes if he continues to prove himself. it doesn't matter if its on the front end or the back end.

I for one like Carter off the bench. I know the game always starts slow with the current starters as seen in East Lansing but I think once PC comes off the bench he brings energy and intensity to the whole team...if he starts who would be that igniter. Just a thought

Call me crazy but I think starting Bostick in place of Iverson would help out a lot. I know he is a little bit of a defensive liability but this would give us another scorer in the starting lineup. I am tired of watching the opening of our games. We did a hole against good teams and most of the time cannot get out.

I'm not as high on Bostick these days. He seems pretty lost out there most of the time. I don't think he even touched the ball last night during his first three possessions in the half court.

Hard to keep Carter on the bench any longer.

Not sure how long we can keep sending out the young twin towers to begin games. Has Tubby made deals with their families?

I might start Joseph, Bostick, Johnson, Carter, and Sampson and see what happens. When defense needs a lift, bring in Nolen. When Sampson tires, bring in Iverson. If Bostick doesn't respond, bring in Westbrook or Hoff.

I for one like Carter off the bench. I know the game always starts slow with the current starters as seen in East Lansing but I think once PC comes off the bench he brings energy and intensity to the whole team...if he starts who would be that igniter. Just a thought

Why not just have intense players from the start? We need a boost off the bench if we are down 10 half way through the first half, but by not just avoid the need for the boost altogether and play well the entire game?

Why not just have intense players from the start? We need a boost off the bench if we are down 10 half way through the first half, but by not just avoid the need for the boost altogether and play well the entire game?

Sorry, that's too much of a logical idea there.

I agree, Carter should be a starter. If we're arguing for him to come off the bench to give our starters some energy, then it makes more sense to start him and have that energy from the opening tip.

First of all, I hope nobody really expects Carter to shoot like that very often. My take is that Paul will have five or six horrible shooting games for every good one. And I haven't seen anything in between yet, he's either on or way off.

That said, yes I think Tubby should be starting Carter. I think he's the Gopher's best rebounder, plays pretty good defense, and allows the team to trap and push the ball up-court a bit more.

Carter earned some consideration, thats for sure. But overall, Nolen's jam and a sudden surge in energy on the defense helped them rebound in the Indiana game.

Though I do give allowance for some of the team trying to recover from whatever flu or virus they had, it was that energy surge that won the game and they had been lacking lately.

Yes, PC should be starting. I don't care if his shooting % is low. He brings energy, rebounding, and he drives to the basket- which in turn, helps out our "shooters". Iverson should only be playing when Ralph isn't.

All you expert pups out there, listen up. Coach Smith has these guys playing at a much better success rate than most of you predicted pre-season. Now that they are playing and doing better than was predicted, your expectations have gone up. And that is good, because so have the expectations of Coach Smith. But, as an old coach, NEVER, EVER, tell the Coach who to start, when to sub, with whom to sub, because NONE of you knows why. Let the Man do his job, to teach these players, to nurture these players. All many of you want is instant gratification, and I can tell you from experience, instant gratification is BOGUS!!!! So I request of you, please back off, and enjoy the ride. Thank you. Dr.Don

Thanks, Big Play, and you know me......I will. :)

I know Doc, but that's what we do. And this is a forum to talk about this stuff. So it doesn't really matter if we're not the coach, we're not doing his job, we're doing ours; being fans and talking about the game.

Yeah, I understand he wants to get his freshmen some important minutes because of the future rewards. But Colton doesnt deserve to be starting and he should be riding pine. Period.

Colton has played well of late. He is playing very physical inside. If he doesn't start, you can bet that Sampson will get in foul trouble most nights as he is the only defensive stopper left inside. I don't mind Iverson starting. He blocks a few shots and picks up a few rebounds and typically gets a couple junk baskets via hustle.

Carter is great and I would not mind him starting. I just wanted to throw some love at Iverson.

In the OSU game when ever Iverson was on the bench it seems they got a big offensive rebound and a put back. Iverson seems to do very well at finding a guy and boxing him out. Unfortunately that isn't a stat that is tracked.

But, as an old coach, NEVER, EVER, tell the Coach who to start, when to sub, with whom to sub, because NONE of you knows why. Let the Man do his job, to teach these players, to nurture these players.

C'mon now! You're telling people they cant have their own opinions about the team they love? Blind faith works okay if you are following Jesus or something.....and no Tubby is not him. No we are not in Tubby's head and we do not know every reason he has for doing what he does, but telling people to not have opinions about their team is just ridiculous. I'm pretty sure Tubby is not scrolling through the pages of gopherhole everyday and will not be changing gameplans based upon what he sees here. That said, dont tell people to be kool-aid drinkin' drones.

Carter and Joseph should both be starting, but tubby is stupid.

Top Bottom