Agree or Disagree... All Nolen does a good job setting up players to score.

Agree.

4th best assists per game in the big ten. Chester Frazier leads the conference with 5.21 per game. Not far off for Nolan at 4.91 per game.

Nolan is also 2nd best in the big ten in turn over to assist ratio.

Then add in his "D"...2nd in the big ten in steals (basically tied for first) Kris Kramer with 2.10 and Nolan has 2.09 per game.

We have a lot of people who have been pretty hard on Nolan. If you look at the numbers, he is still productive.

Yeah, I guess I can give you that....he falls to 12th in the big ten in assists when counting Big Ten stats only. Third in steals.

What are the stats in conference play?

Big Ten totals (12 games); 43 assists, 26 TOs, 1.65 a/t ratio 3.5 assists/game

home (6 games): 27 assists, 10 to, 2.70 a/t 4.5 assists/game
away (6 games): 16 assists, 16 to, 1.0 a/t 2.6 assists/game

wins (7 games) 26 assists, 7 to, 3.7 a/t 3.7 assists/game
loses (5 games) 17 assists, 19 to, 0.9 a/t 3.4 assists/game

My personal feeling is he is a great ball handler, and he plays awesome defense. Sometimes he can score.

I don't often see him set someone up for a wide open layup. I would like to know where most of his assists come from. My guess is for 3-pointers.

I don't look at him as commanding our offense.

I think Nolen does a good job setting up players. But one think I noticed is that the defenders lay off of him four feet because they know he isn't going to shoot. His lack of offensive skills has really shown lately. Man he would be good if he had a good shot! I always love his hustle and defense. He's also a pretty good rebounder for a guard.

We have such an odd point guard predicament. The offense flows better when Devoe is out there, but he turns the ball over way too often. Al makes bad turnovers much less often, but the offense as a whole is dreadful when he is out there. Not sure which I would choose right now.

My issue with Al is that over and over Colton/Ralph will be posting up and Al's defender will either be laying off him so much that it makes it difficult or he doen't use a bounce pass or for what ever reason he will not feed our bigs. All of the activity on offense seems to always be from beind the three-point line, from a team that struggles to make outside shots. To me the style on the offensive end is a clear reflect on the PG.

Al is a great defender I will never question that but I just wish he would slow down on offense and work on his post-entry passing.

My issue with Al is that over and over Colton/Ralph will be posting up and Al's defender will either be laying off him so much that it makes it difficult or he doen't use a bounce pass or for what ever reason he will not feed our bigs. All of the activity on offense seems to always be from beind the three-point line, from a team that struggles to make outside shots. To me the style on the offensive end is a clear reflect on the PG.

Al is a great defender I will never question that but I just wish he would slow down on offense and work on his post-entry passing.

The entire team doesn't get it into the bigs. Al probably gives it to the bigs the most, with his drives and dishes, but not very much from the perimeter.

By biggest issue, with the all the guards, is not looking for the slip screen, which is wide open all the time, and we hardly make the pass.

Dribble Penetraion

It was interesting how Indiana came after our defense with some success in the second half with Verdell's dribble penetraion, and dishing to various players. I agree, this is something we need to improve on.

The entire team doesn't get it into the bigs. Al probably gives it to the bigs the most, with his drives and dishes, but not very much from the perimeter.

By biggest issue, with the all the guards, is not looking for the slip screen, which is wide open all the time, and we hardly make the pass.

Al does drive and dish but he is never on target with his pass IMO. Some might look at this as the the posts having bad hands, but I think he is out of control and throwing the ball in the wrong place.

Maybe that is just me.

We have such an odd point guard predicament. The offense flows better when Devoe is out there, but he turns the ball over way too often. Al makes bad turnovers much less often, but the offense as a whole is dreadful when he is out there. Not sure which I would choose right now.
I agree.

I think he does a great job on the fast break. On the set offense, not so much. It seems like we spend 90% of our set offense with him dribbling from top left to tip right, passing to Westbrook or someone else and then starting all over.

Al does a good job setting up..

perimeter players but not the post players. I see RSII creating space and Al still passes it along the outside. This is one of the reasons Blake's shooting is down in BT play! Hard to get an uncontested 3 if you don't keep the defense honest by throwing it inside.

Top Bottom