Tim Davis quotes from Charley Walters

Sour1729

231!
Reaction score
http://www.twincities.com/ci_11074703?nclick_check=1

Just as Gophers athletics director Joel Maturi saw a lot of himself in Tim Brewster when he hired him as football coach, so has, apparently, Brewster in Tim Davis, whom he hired this week as running game coordinator-offensive line coach.

Davis, 50, is leaving No. 1 Alabama this weekend to join the Gophers on Monday. He's not staying for a national championship run.

"We've got to get going; we've got a bowl game to get ready for," Davis said of Minnesota. "The sooner we get started, the better. I'll tell you, this is a great deal. I'm really pumped up. My family and kids are pumped up. I'm fired up about (Brewster) coach. I can't wait. This is awesome. Let's go."

At Alabama, Davis oversaw player personnel.

"Coach (Nick) Saban has been really great to me," said Davis, who also was with Saban with the Miami Dolphins.

Davis also worked for Pete Carroll as offensive line coach for two national championship Southern California teams (2003-04) as well as Barry Alvarez at Wisconsin, where he coached the tight ends. He said he's excited about working for Brewster.

"You've got to go with guys who have a lot of energy," Davis said.

Davis' plan to improve Minnesota's running game?

"You bring an attitude, and the attitude is this: When you enable and empower kids to put their hand on the ground and get after people, it develops a toughness," he said. "If you give 'em something to put their finger on, confidence-wise, and it doesn't have to be a lot, and get 'em something to where they can see it and feel it, then they can finish it.
"It can be only one type of play. Like at SC, we put the power in, 4 yards. And it kind of snowballs. And we need to get more kids in there, obviously. And we need to get in the weight room and do all kinds of stuff. If you establish it and you do it, then the kids will go after it. They follow the coaches. It will be fun."

Davis appears to be nearly a Brewster clone.

"That's why I like him so much," Davis said. "It's contagious. That's the way I've always been. I've learned from really good guys."

Davis was reminded that the Minnesota football program is hardly Alabama or USC.

"It's how you do it; who thought Alabama would go 11-0?" he said. "Now, coach Saban has a plan. But who would have thought this? I tell you, it's contagious. You get it going and it lights a fire. It's the same thing that happened to us at USC. We got going, lit a fire, and pretty soon it starts to snowball."

I hope he's serious about having the OLine put their hand on the ground. I hate having them start a play in a squat with their hands on their knees. Looks like they are taking a dump in the woods. Hard to get a push from that stance.

I hope he's serious about having the OLine put their hand on the ground. I hate having them start a play in a squat with their hands on their knees. Looks like they are taking a dump in the woods. Hard to get a push from that stance.

lol

I like the hire the guy seems to really know his stuff and as been around the best programs in the country, my only concern is that his style really seems to clash with Dunbar's style. How will the two work together? What is going to be our identity. Please don't tell me we are going to be both . . . they are way to different and you need different players for the two. I just think we need to master ONE of them before trying to be both.

why did this guy leave alabama?

did we pay him more or what?

I just can't beleive it

why did this guy leave alabama?

did we pay him more or what?

I just can't beleive it

I think ir'a two things:

(1) A somewhat co-coordinator postion, and,

(2) Ka-ching.

Whatever the reasons, I don't really care. The guy has a good resume and Maturi has given Brewster the budget flexibility to pay more for assistants and Brewster is willing to stay low on his salary (at least for this contact) to give the program the budget space to hire top-tier guys.

I always gulp a bit when I see a guy has moved around, but the life of a football assistant coach at both the pro and college levels is somewhat that of a gypsy. Davis seems to have both the pedigree and energy that can help the Gophers hit the next level.

I think ir'a two things:

(1) A somewhat co-coordinator postion, and,

(2) Ka-ching.

Whatever the reasons, I don't really care. The guy has a good resume and Maturi has given Brewster the budget flexibility to pay more for assistants and Brewster is willing to stay low on his salary (at least for this contact) to give the program the budget space to hire top-tier guys.

I always gulp a bit when I see a guy has moved around, but the life of a football assistant coach at both the pro and college levels is somewhat that of a gypsy. Davis seems to have both the pedigree and energy that can help the Gophers hit the next level.

You may be worried about him moving around, but it doesn't seem like he was ever "fired" for poor job performance. Off the top of my head, these are his coaching stops and why he moved...

Utah to Wisconsin: Step up in prestige and pay (as much as I hate to admit it)
Wisconsin to USC: Same as above
USC to Miami Dolphins: Up to the pro ranks
Miami Dolphins to Alabama: Saban left Miami and Davis either wanted to stay with him or the new coach of Miami wanted his own staff. That isn't a knock on Davis's ability at all.
Alabama to Minnesota: A lower prestige level for the program itself, but with us he will have a MUCH larger role than he did at Alabama, be back on the field, and likely a pay raise. Plus he started his coaching at Madison and came back there in his later years so he knows all about the Big Ten and what Minnesota is like. Apparently he is fond of it.

I agree 100% with your assessment sour. Davis looks like the real deal. He has been with top-notch programs and top-notch coaches and Saban wouldn't have brought him along from the Dolphins if he didn't know his stuff.

And my "gulping" comes as much from not knowing how assistant coaches and their families must have to live with a moving company on speed dial as much as concerns about why they are moving around.

My only red flag I have been thinking about is, if Saban liked him so much why wasn't he coaching Alabama's Oline?

Pendry has more experience at the pro level. Perhaps Saban thought he'd be more valuable for recruiting.

Why must everyone worry about when he'll leave or what must have gone wrong to have him come to Minnesota?

Maybe the guy just didn't like the office job and wanted to get back to coaching. Passion and enjoyment in what you do can be far better than monetary reward. With Brewster's enthusiasm, Minnesota being part of the Big Ten, and obviously decent enough pay -- why not ask, 'why shouldn't he come?' :rolleyes:

Top Bottom