Verdell Jones and Krys Faber

XMan

Reaction score
With the game tonight against Indiana, we will see Verdell Jones for the second time.

Here are Jones' stats vs. Nolan's stats:

Points Per Game: Jones 8.7 Nolan 7.8

Assists Per Game: Jones 3.2 Nolan 4.9

Rebounds Per Game: Jones 2.8 Nolan 3.4

I am doubting Jones would have made much of a difference here this year, and I think we are all glad we have the scholarship open for the talent coming in next year.

However, here is the one guy I am glad didn't sign on: Krys Faber

Krys Faber's stats at Depaul:

Points Per Game: 2.0 Rebounds Per Game: 1.8

With Colten and Ralph here, Krys wouldn't have made any difference and his scholarship spot will again be so valuable next year.

In my opinion it's too way early to write off Jones and Faber. These guys are freshmen. What I've seen of Jones is he has a chance to become a pretty good Big 10 player. Haven't seen Faber as much, though I did see him in person vs. Cincinnati the day before the Gopher-Northwestern game. He did look a little lost that day, but he's a raw-boned kid that has a chance to develop into a good-sized banger for DePaul. There's always room for big guys that can bang a little bit, especially when you're playing in a conference like the Big East or Big 10.

In my opinion it's too way early to write off Jones and Faber. These guys are freshmen. What I've seen of Jones is he has a chance to become a pretty good Big 10 player. Haven't seen Faber as much, though I did see him in person vs. Cincinnati the day before the Gopher-Northwestern game. He did look a little lost that day, but he's a raw-boned kid that has a chance to develop into a good-sized banger for DePaul. There's always room for big guys that can bang a little bit, especially when you're playing in a conference like the Big East or Big 10.

I was there, too. (At UC vs DePaul game) Did you see Gophers staff there? They were In The House.

Jones also plays more minutes than Nolen. Nolen's stats would be more favorable if they were /minute stats.

Jones has done a decent job for Indiana and could be a good PG for them. I wouldn't trade Nolen or Joseph for him, but he has done pretty well this year all things considered.

I thought that Jones played pretty well the other night. Considering the lack of talent around him, he has pretty good numbers. He won't be in the NBA but, as someone else said, he will be a fine B10 player and could play on our team.

I don't know anything about Faber.

DePaul is easily the worst team in the huge Big East conference. Faber is playing about 8 minutes a game and hasn't done anything really well.

I have no idea whether Faber will end up being a serviceable high-major D-I player, but I don't think a fair judgment can be made 12 winless games into his Big East career. The Gophers have two juniors (Johnson & Westbrook) who played sparingly as freshmen on arguably one of the worst Gopher teams of all time, yet now they're solid Big 10 players on a team that has a chance to get to the NCAAs.

I agree that Faber may be a fairly decent player down the road....or maybe he won't. I don't know. My point was that having Faber and Jones decline our offer is actually a positive in my book, as we kept things open to add players like Williams and Mbakwe to go along with White next year.

DePaul is easily the worst team in the huge Big East conference. Faber is playing about 8 minutes a game and hasn't done anything really well.
As an administrator to a DePaul board similar to this one I can tell you this; Krys has shown signs of having some very good talent, but the problem is the coach. Jerry Wainwright can not develop a player if his life depended on him, and he has Krys is the doghouse for some reason. Senior Matija Poscic can trip over his own feet and Wainwright is ok with it; Krys' shorts have static cling to them? Wainwright sits him for the whole game (kind of being sarcastic). My father (a Gopher season ticket holder) was down last week to catch the Pittsburgh/DePaul game and he was more impressed with Faber than he expected. Just is not getting the opportunity that is needed.

Top Bottom