Give Verdell Hell

From the Barn

Reaction score
I hope he hears a bit from The Barnyard about stringing the Gophers along, only to hold a press conference at a run down pizza place.

In addition to the Barnyard, the TEAM can do their part to make Verdell wish he would have chosen the Gophers by beating the SNOT out of Indiana.

Nah

Personally I hope they don't acknowledge him at all. He's a decent player and may turn out to be above average, but it's not like he was/is Eric Gordon or anything.

Don't play this up too much. He ain't worth it.

Verdell is the new Jerry Gee

Here is a reference that requires you to get into the moderately way-back machine. Verdell Jones might be the next Jerry Gee. Remember him? Clem recruited him hard but he went to Illinois. Our fans booed the crap out of him for 4 years. And by the end you wondered, why did we want this guy so bad? I'm guessing he would still get booed if he came back to the Barn right now with Athletes in Action or something.

I haven't seen a lot of Indiana this year and they're obviously undermanned, but Verdell seems to have definite Jerry Gee potential.

I hope he hears a bit from The Barnyard about stringing the Gophers along, only to hold a press conference at a run down pizza place.

His entire recruitment kind of seemed like a circus. And the funny thing is that he isn't all that good of a player. He's an okay point guard, nothing special. But all the twists and turns that both he and his family took with "well, we like this and we like that and now we're going to hold this big press conference and so on and so forth" just got old.

I for one wasn't all that bummed when he committed to Indiana. From all accounts, Cobbs will be a better all-around player anyway, so I'm happy that the Hoosiers got him and that we got Cobbs.

Agree, I think Verdell was way over-rated. We should hold signs up saying things like, "Thank You Verdell... For Not Coming to Minnesota".

Agree, I think Verdell was way over-rated. We should hold signs up saying things like, "Thank You Verdell... For Not Coming to Minnesota".

Tubby must have thought highly of him to offer and keep recruiting until he went with IU.

Good comparison playhosea.

I remember being stoked about the possibility of Gee coming here. He never really was more than average though.

If the crowd is loud, and the gophers pound Indiana, the message will be clear. I'd have to say I think he will have a much better career than Jerry Gee... The kid is doing quite well for a freshman point guard on a really crappy/under manned team. I think Verdell knew he'd be waiting for a year or more to earn any playing time on our squad with all the accolades Nolen was receiving as a freshman, and Devoe all ready committed.

I never saw what is was that Clem was so amazed by in Mr. Gee. He looked like he could be a great rebounder, but never developed any type of offense.

Go Gophers!

If you do have an interest in laying into VJIII tonight, his performance against Minnesota in Bloomington provides some fodder.

Fouled out in 26 minutes. 2 assists / 2 turnovers. 2-for-8 from the floor, 7 points total. In a game where a couple buckets or a couple possessions could have created the difference, he had some blown opportunities. I know a lot of players did, but if you're trying to single him out...

I think what we want to prove to VJIII is simply this....It wasn't that we weren't good enough for him, I say he isn't good enough for US. Al and DeVoe will eat him alive.

I agree with the accomplice....he isn't worth it. I know he will hear something from the crowd, but he wasn't going to make a difference here.

But without Doug Wrenn we would have never been graced by Kevin Burleson.

Wow, what a stroll down memory lane... now that makes me laugh! What a soap opera he was. I recall he was better known as Batman. In the article it notes he played at UWash for two years... I think he was at UConn for a brief stint as well.

Maximus - Thanks for the memory!

Top Bottom