Bubble Watch/Gopher Wish List (Tuesday)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
No games tonight really impact the Gophers (am assuming West Virginia will make the tournament), so we'll start the Gopher Wish List with Tuesday's docket. Games are listed in order of importance.

The wish list will continue until: (A) the Gophers win another road game; or (B) they get their 10th Big Ten win (which should be lock city this season), whichever comes first.

1. Gophers over Indiana
2. TCU over UNLV
3. Texas over Oklahoma State
4. Florida over Kentucky
5. Michigan State over Michigan
6. Clemson over Boston College
7. Cal State Bakersfield over Stanford
8. South Florida over Providence

SS - thanks as always for your reliable and quality posts.

What is it looking like for 9-9 in the Big Ten? The Gophs and Wisconsin look to have the potential to be 9-9 teams. MIchigan has a tough finish and PSU's stretch is brutal. Purdue looks dicey without Hummel, but they are still getting it done and have an easier schedule despite two MSU games.

If 9-9 lands at 5th in the B10 does that add to the resume?
What does sconny's picture look like if it gets to 9-9?

9-9 scenario for Big Ten

Generally speaking, here's how I think the 9-9 scenario plays out for potential Big 10 bubble teams. For now I'm assuming Illinois, Michigan State & Purdue are locks for the tournament. Obviously, that could change.

Ohio State & especially Michigan -- because of the quality of their nonconference wins -- likely will make it at 9-9 no matter where they finish in the standings or what they do at the Big Ten Tournament. They have the best non-league resumes when stacked up against other Big 10 schools. Both could potentially "jump" the Gophers with a lower conference standing/seed; I'd be particularly worried about Michigan because of its wins over Duke & UCLA.

The Gophers, Northwestern, Penn State & Wisconsin shouldn't feel comfortable if they head to Indy with a 9-9 record. In my opinion, the Gophers & Wisconsin would have a better shot at getting in at 9-9 than either NW or Penn State, especially Penn State. The Nittany Lions' atrocious nonconference schedule (far worse than the Gophers', which was poor as well) could come back to bite them.

Finishing as the #5 seed for the BTT with a 9-9 record isn't likely, but if it happened at least that team wouldn't have to worry about a "bad loss" in the first round on Thursday.

Results:

1)Gophers win over Indiana

2)UNLV over TCU
3)Texas over Ok. State
4)Kentucky over Florida
5)Michigan St. over Michigan
6)Clemson over BC
7)Stanford over Cal-St. Baker
8)Providence over USF

4 out of 8....too bad Florida couldn't pull it out.

Top Bottom