Tim Davis story from Alabama

stanchion

Reaction score
Here is a blog entry from one of the beat writers for the Crimson Tide on the hire of Tim Davis, including a statement from everyone's favorite coach, Nick Saban.

Alabama director of player personnel Tim Davis has been hired as the running game coordinator/offensive line coach at Minnesota, the Gophers announced today.

Davis, who served previously as Nick Saban's assistant offensive line coach with the Miami Dolphins and as an offensive line coach at Southern Cal, was hired at Alabama earlier this year to replace Geoff Collins, who became an assistant coach at Central Florida.

"Minnesota was a real draw for me because of the great city and having an opportunity to work in the Big Ten again," Davis said in a statement. "I can't wait to get started."

Davis had been viewed as a possible replacement when Alabama's veteran offensive line coach Joe Pendry opted to retire.

"This is a great opportunity for Tim in terms of his position as offensive line coach and running game coordinator," Saban said in a statement. "We've had the chance to work together here at the University of Alabama as well as with the Miami Dolphins, and Tim has been a hard worker and done an excellent job with each and every responsibility he's had.

"I know Tim is looking forward to getting up there in a coaching capacity that puts him back on the field interacting with the players. He'll do a great job with Coach (Tim) Brewster and the Minnesota program. We wish Tim and his family the best."

Stanchion,

Thanks for the article, my only question is why was Tim Davis not in a coaching capacity at Alabama and given Joe Pendry's job to begin with especially since he came to Alabama with Saban when Pendry did not.

Stanchion,

Thanks for the article, my only question is why was Tim Davis not in a coaching capacity at Alabama and given Joe Pendry's job to begin with especially since he came to Alabama with Saban when Pendry did not.

That was my first question as well. As much as we've struggled this year, you don't want someone learning on the job at this level. But it makes me feel much better that he was USC's line coach for a few years and often times coaches will hire someone that they hope to have a position for in the future and give them the title of Quality Control Coordinator, etc. to keep them on the staff. That sounds like the situation here. I get the impression that Saban does not carry around any dead weight on his staff.

I'm "giddy", this is exactly what this offense needs.

I've heard that if it wasn't for Jim Hueber, he would have been the OL coach at that school to the east for a while, too.

Nick Saban hired Joe Pendry as assistant head coach/offensive line coach in January 2007 after he came to Alabama. Pendry started coaching in 1970 and has 19 years of NFL coaching experience and was the head coach of the Pittsburgh Maulers in the USFL. With that level of experience, that does not look like a negative reflection on Davis that Pendry was coaching the O line.

There is not much dead weight on Saban's staff. 2 of the assistants are former DI head coaches - Kevin Steele (Baylor) and Bobby Williams (Michigan State).

Top Bottom