Cory Joseph attends Gopher/OSU game, likes Tubby a lot, sees improvement in Devoe

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus' blog:

Younger Joseph watches big brother
Gophers freshman Devoe Joseph's younger brother watched him play in person for the first time this season in Saturday's 64-58 loss at Ohio State in Columbus.

Despite watching Minnesota drop a tough game, four-star Findlay Prep and Canadian junior national team guard Cory Joseph said he was impressed with Tubby Smith's team.

Joseph, who is averaging 10 points a game as a junior this season, said he planned to visit the Gophers soon, but didn't have a favorite with other schools like Georgetown, Louisville and Marquette among his many scholarship offers.

"I like (Smith) a lot; he's a real good guy," said the 6-foot-3, 175-pound combo guard. "We talk some time on the phone. I'm trying to get out there for a visit. It's a nice school."

He thinks the Gophers could reach the NCAA tournament this season, because of how they play together.

"It looks like they get along a lot on the court," he said. "As long as they got that team chemistry and keep on playing together, I think they can win a lot of games and be able to go to that big tournament."

Joseph also noticed improvement in his big brother's game since they won a provincial championship together at Pickering High School in Ontario last season. Devoe finished with five points and two assists Saturday against Ohio State.

"He's getting his teammates involved and passing the ball a lot," Cory said. "I see him playing really good defense on other guards. He's passing the ball better. He's shooting well, but he's always been able to shoot."

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/

Go Gophers!!

This may depend entirely.........

on his brother's experience here. If Devoe is loving it, we should have a good shot.

We need a dynamic guard to emerge if we are to get into the upper echelon of the BT, it might as well be Devoe!

I think I recall that a few here on the board have seen the younger Joseph play. He sounds like a real get. Isn't Findlay Prep in Ogee's backyard? Any more notes on him?

on his brother's experience here. If Devoe is loving it, we should have a good shot.

We need a dynamic guard to emerge if we are to get into the upper echelon of the BT, it might as well be Devoe!

Bingo! Devoe will give Cory all the dish on Tubby, the coaches, the school, etc. Devoe does seem like he's having fun. He certainly says all the right things in his interviews, so I think he likes it here. The thing with siblings is that sometimes the other sibling wants to start their own path and not follow in their brother's path. However, there's plenty of instances where bros have been on the same team. This is definitely a tricky recruitment.

I really like this kid. I think he will have a HUGE senior season.

I really like this kid. I think he will have a HUGE senior season.

If the offers he's receiving are any judge it looks like a some pretty good programs want him as well.

Hopefully Devoe will talk him into coming. :)

OSU needs a PG BADLY in the 2010 class. They literally have no one that fans can project as the starting PG for the 2010-11 season. No PGs on the roster with eligibility beyond next season and no commits that are PGs or even CGs that can be expected to play PG. Cory Joseph and Lavonte Dority from Chicago are the only PG types in that class that I've seen anything written about OSU recruiting them.

OSU needs a PG BADLY in the 2010 class. They literally have no one that fans can project as the starting PG for the 2010-11 season. No PGs on the roster with eligibility beyond next season and no commits that are PGs or even CGs that can be expected to play PG. Cory Joseph and Lavonte Dority from Chicago are the only PG types in that class that I've seen anything written about OSU recruiting them.

That would be odd...Cory playing against Devoe?! I doubt that ends up happening.

On the other hand, if Cory joins the Gophers, he will be playing against DeVoe everyday. And also with him. Kinda cool thinking about that!!!!!!!!!!!

Findlay Prep

I think I recall that a few here on the board have seen the younger Joseph play. He sounds like a real get. Isn't Findlay Prep in Ogee's backyard? Any more notes on him?

The only thing I know about Findlay is I bought my car at Findlay Acura, and that both are in Henderson.

Okay, I'm mostly kidding. Occurred to me to go and check out a game of theirs but I haven't done it yet. My wife would probably think I'm crazy, going to a HS hoops game out here.

I knew there was a kid at Findlay that the Gophers were interested in, so when I saw Tubby in the Vegas airport last Labor Day weekend, I asked him if he was there on business or pleasure. He said he was there for the Jordan Fantasy Camp, although his wife said she was DEFINITELY along for the trip for pleasure, not business. Thought that was cute at the time. Seems like they had a good trip. Not sure if he paid Joseph a visit then or not.

Best sign in this post for all of us - Cory has seen a lot of improvement in his brother!

It's a big step to cross an international border to play ball. Your kind of hanging out there a bit in a culture that is a bit different and seems even more different on TV. Having a brother near by and a respected father figure as coach is a real plus. Family can visit both at once, etc.

Top Bottom