Another loss ... and the subsequent spate of silliness

MNSnowman

An old timer
Reaction score
Goodness, I wonder if the sun will rise tomorrow. And will it set? Woe is us and suckiness abounds.

[sarcasm]All the posts about Nolen "sucking" makes me pine for the good ol' days of Payton being the PG. Or Limar.

And the posts about Iverson and/or Sampson being ineffective ... to think that we let Nurumbi get away.[/sarcasm]

Goodness, I wonder if the sun will rise tomorrow. And will it set? Woe is us and suckiness abounds.

[sarcasm]All the posts about Nolen "sucking" makes me pine for the good ol' days of Payton being the PG. Or Limar.

And the posts about Iverson and/or Sampson being ineffective ... to think that we let Nurumbi get away.[/sarcasm]

I personally miss the days of Kevin Nathaniel running the point to tell you the truth. Those were the days when he could feed it into the post to Ryan Wildenborg...

Don't forget the 30-foot shots (and banging off the backboard, missing the rim altogether) from Kerwin Fleming...or Kevin Burleson trying to bring the ball up the floor...

I propose that this thread be immediately terminated. ATTF, how do you have the gall to remind the whole gopherhole community of Kerwin Flemming, clearly a relic that has been conveniently forgotten and relegated to the "lost" years of gopher basketball. I remember all the buzz on the gopherhole when we signed Kerwin Flemming. It's almost like he was supposed to be the next Bobby Jackson of Gopher Hoops. Haha, if this wasn't so embarrassing it would be funny!

fleming could shoot it better than nolen....i know that much

i'm not noticing many differences between the above mentioned and nolen

someone fill me in on the difference

nolen looks dazed and confused..........what did the above guys bring that was worse?...could anyone answer that for me

i'm not noticing many differences between the above mentioned and nolen

Goldteam has an interesting case of apparent visual impairment and memory loss. Or maybe too young?

As Seth Meyers would say "Really. You don't see much difference. Really?!?"

Another loss, more excuses on the hole.

Win big - Go Gophers!

Another loss, more excuses on the hole.
Who's making excuses, ZTA?

But tell us once again how we can't recruit due to an uneven playing field. Oh wait, that was the excuse you made back when your heroes, the golfing buddy and Monson, were here. :rolleyes:

We used to groan when Fleming made a shot early in the game because it meant he'd be heaving them up there all night and end up 1-10. 2-10 if we were lucky. Last night, Westbrook was our Kerwin.

Who's making excuses, ZTA?

But tell us once again how we can't recruit due to an uneven playing field. Oh wait, that was the excuse you made back when your heroes, the golfing buddy and Monson, were here. :rolleyes:

Who is ZTA? Why do you assume the former coach is my hero? :confused:

I think the point here is that the program is beyond the days of Payton as the point guard. Tubby has the program on the rise and it is frustrating to watch performances like we saw this past week. I guess I'd rather be upset about mediocre play than accepting--for an example of a fan base that has largely accepted mediocrity, see the football message board at gopherhole.com.

fleming could shoot it better than nolen....i know that much

Not that much better, and remember that we only had two years of Fleming (thank god). Those were his junior and senior years. My only gripe is that I don't think fans understand the maturation that big ten guards must go through unless you land a blue chip. Nolen hasn't been flashy, but a look back at some statistics from years past show that he is already far ahead of any other Minnesota point guard in the last ten years.

For one thing, Nolen is one of the big ten leaders in Assist to turnover ratio. He is the big ten's leader in steals per game.

Consider a past Minnesota point guard such as Terrence Simmons. In 2001, I believe, his numbers totaled 124 Assists and 82 turnovers at the end of the year. Nolen, and remember we are about halfway through big ten season, already has 113 Assists and only 43 Turnovers. I believe Simmons was a senior that year - Al Nolen is a soph.

Nolen is one of the big ten leaders in Assist to turnover ratio

Big Ten totals (11 games); 38 assists, 25 TOs, 1.52 a/t ratio

home (5 games): 22 assists, 9 to, 2.44 a/t
away (6 games): 16 assists, 16 to, 1.0 a/t

wins (6 games) 21 assists, 6 to, 3.5 a/t
loses (5 games) 17 assists, 19 to, 0.9 a/t

Nolen is one of the big ten leaders in Assist to turnover ratio

Big Ten totals (11 games); 38 assists, 25 TOs, 1.52 a/t ratio

home (5 games): 22 assists, 9 to, 2.44 a/t
away (6 games): 16 assists, 16 to, 1.0 a/t

wins (6 games) 21 assists, 6 to, 3.5 a/t
loses (5 games) 17 assists, 19 to, 0.9 a/t

I would suggest providing an analyis for all guards in the big ten so we have a benchmark for comparison instead of throwing numbers out there with blatant disregard for context. I also suggest controlling for experience at the big ten level. For instance, Chester Frazier is one of the better pgs, but he is a senior, I believe.

And, of course, I was looking at all numbers including non-conference games, which puts him in the top 3 of guards in the big ten.

And, of course, I was looking at all numbers including non-conference games, which puts him in the top 3 of guards in the big ten.
Why would you feel the need to do that?

Everyone and their mother talked about Hoff's shooting woe's since the Big 10 started, without noting that he was shooting a higher 3 pt % in the NC than he shot all last year, and at a clip to win the school 3 pt record.

Yet, it seems no one cares about anything other than Big 10, so that's why Nolen is judged on those numbers as well.

Who is ZTA? Why do you assume the former coach is my hero? :confused:
Sorry, ZTA, but changing your personae on the G'hole requires not only a new moniker but also dropping your old bits. In your case, it would require a whole personality change. Eventually, you return to your old ways ... in your case, not so eventually. :cool:

The only real question is when will "Friend of TruthTeller" appear?

"Friend of TruthTeller"!!!!!!!!! No such thing, unless Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny also exist.

Sorry, ZTA, but changing your personae on the G'hole requires not only a new moniker but also dropping your old bits. In your case, it would require a whole personality change. Eventually, you return to your old ways ... in your case, not so eventually. :cool:

The only real question is when will "Friend of TruthTeller" appear?

Whatever you feel you need to believe is great. Not sure who ZTA is.

Top Bottom