It doesn't get more simple than this

Ogee Ogilthorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
It's not a complex game. It comes down to putting the ball in the basket and the Gophers just don't have shooters.

Sure, they turned it over too many times, but if they make even half of the easy shots they missed, they win the game.

Don't hurt your head analyzing this one. Gotta make shots. Ask yourself one simple question:

How many players on this team can consistenly hit the mid-range jumpshot, particularly off the bounce? Westbrook is about all I can think of.

This team is capable of either making layups (of which they missed a handful tonight) or sometimes knocking down the 3-pointer. That's it.

Nevertheless, people will come up with 25 different reasons why the Gophers lost this game; this person sucks, that person sucks, the coaching sucks, the starting lineup sucks, etc.

Bottom line; not enough people who can put the ball in the basket. Move on....

I agree 100%, everything is rushed and moving way too fast. Everyone seems to be afraid their shot will get blocked or something. Just relax.

Ogee, must you continue to the voice of reason??

It's hard to "just relax" against Big Ten defenses. Our own system seems to stress defense and hope for the best on offense.

It is hard to relax, I agree. We play 11 guys and not one of them is exempt from playing to fast and out of control.

Carter can't shoot. Sampson can't shoot. Nolen can't shoot. Westbrook has lost his shot. Johnson can't shoot from beyond 3 feet. Iverson has lost his touch around the bucket. Shamala can't get open. OK maybe Blake has his shot back ( I hope). In short this team can not shoot.

Beside missing bunnies and free throws in the last 5 minutes, ISN'T quite the adventure when we try to get the ball in out of bounds!!! I think the play of the game was when we heaved one into the back court and they went in for a lay-up! We got to be able to score at least 60 one of these games! We need to win all of our home games and one on the road at PSU or Michigan!

If we win 4 more games we are in if we dont we are out.

It's not a complex game. It comes down to putting the ball in the basket and the Gophers just don't have shooters.

Sure, they turned it over too many times, but if they make even half of the easy shots they missed, they win the game.

Don't hurt your head analyzing this one. Gotta make shots. Ask yourself one simple question:

How many players on this team can consistenly hit the mid-range jumpshot, particularly off the bounce? Westbrook is about all I can think of.

This team is capable of either making layups (of which they missed a handful tonight) or sometimes knocking down the 3-pointer. That's it.

Nevertheless, people will come up with 25 different reasons why the Gophers lost this game; this person sucks, that person sucks, the coaching sucks, the starting lineup sucks, etc.

Bottom line; not enough people who can put the ball in the basket. Move on....

Who is coming to fill that role? When?

they cant shoot well but they cant break you down off the dribble

the good teams have guys out front who can break you down and get a defense scrambling and allow you an open look every so often

we never get open looks.........there is always a hand in the face and the shot is tough to make

hoffarbor never gets an open look, westbrook is a good shooter but never gets an open look because we cant break anyone down

one on one we get suffocated

Agree with Goldteam here. Our issues go way, way beyond just shooting woes. Our offense seems to be made up as we go. The inbounds plays are not well-designed, either, although last night I noticed (especially in the first half) that the Buckeyes were allowed to really crowd our inbound passer, well inside of 3 feet away. I've also noticed we fail to box out on rebounds consistently. When it's your bigs failing here, you get crushed on the boards at key times. That's what broke our backs last night after Hoffarber's tear.

The team is young, but I'm seeing things at this stage of the season that a well-coached team ought not be doing. It's a concern.

Several players in 2009 class can add scoring punch.

The two locals should step in and contribute as Freshman. White has the potential to be a Willie Burton kind of forward. I just attended a Cooper game a few weeks ago and thought Williams bored because he appeared to be playing with/against junior high kids. I've watched El-Amin, Rickert, Humphries, etc play as preps and don't remember seeing a high school player as athletic as him in Minnesota. His game didn't look that polished, but he hit a couple of three's (funny looking shot). Has anyone heard if he's making progress academically?

Next season the offense should look smooth, then. I'm sure the excuses will disappear about not having a scorer, no offensive flow as well.
You can have 12 scorers on a team; that doesn't mean that the offensive flow will improve.

You can have 12 scorers on a team; that doesn't mean that the offensive flow will improve.

No shit Sherlock. Why cant the Gophs have a decent flow to the offense? The excuse used here, often, is no scorers.

Solve the problem.

Super. Next season the offense should look smooth, then. I'm sure the excuses will disappear about not having a scorer, no offensive flow as well.

Go Gophers!

You can alway go back to Memories Of Monson and 9-22 if U prefer.

You can alway go back to Memories Of Monson and 9-22 if U prefer.

Think of the Boston tune, FOT - "Dont Look Back".

You can look back if you like. Lets talk about the present. Offense is offensive - not a slam, just reality. Can you admit that? No, you cant.

Excellent!

It seems very tough for some folks to admit that the offense is ugly and the coach needs to do something to rectify the situation.

Hmmmmm.... you mean Tubby should wave his wand and make DJ and Nolen better shooters overnight? I hadn't thought of that. You could be onto something.

In reality, if Westbrook makes a few of the 3's he missed, ones he normally does make because several were pretty open, the Gophers had a chance to steal a game in which they really didn't play that great.

Funny, most considered the Gophers a bubble team at the beginning of the season and now, because they might be just that, somehow they're an incredibly disappointing team, getting consistently outcoached, players suck, etc.

The players that are getting the minutes are defensive players, this shouldn't be a shock for a Tubby-coached team.

Hmmmmm.... you mean Tubby should wave his wand and make DJ and Nolen better shooters overnight? I hadn't thought of that. You could be onto something.

In reality, if Westbrook makes a few of the 3's he missed, ones he normally does make because several were pretty open, the Gophers had a chance to steal a game in which they really didn't play that great.

Funny, most considered the Gophers a bubble team at the beginning of the season and now, because they might be just that, somehow they're an incredibly disappointing team, getting consistently outcoached, players suck, etc.

The players that are getting the minutes are defensive players, this shouldn't be a shock for a Tubby-coached team.

That would be great ogee. I am sure coaches all over america, including all previous coaches at MN would like to be able to do that.

IF, if, if shots would fall ogee. Same for all teams, all over.

Just win, and win big baby!

Go Gophers!!!!

Top Bottom