NOLEN IS KILLING US

maliksealy

Reaction score
He can't shoot

He's turning it over about every other possession it seems

He SLLLOWWWWWS the game down so much, we have better luck scoring in transition with Damien handling the ball.

Maybe you could help Nolen improve his game. Have you considered asking Tubby to be Nolen's personal coach?

Good call...I will get a hold of Tubby after the game

Hope you missed that beautiful no-look pass while you were typing, Malik

and he cost us any chance by missing another free throw

i really can't think what kind of positive impact he's on on this game at all...

This team needs a pure PG in the worst way. There is not one player that calms the court when needed.

Of course, Carter misses two easy lay ups and his free throws but lets not let that detract from mistakes made by Nolen.

Malik,
Nolen really needs you to take him under your wing and teach him the game.

Whatever homers. Our PG play carried us during the non conference and early conference play, but how can anyone deny that the position has been a mismatch for the other team since the Northwestern loss?

I have been a big Nolen guy for a while, but he is in a huge slump...he can't do much right. For every nice drive and dish he has about 3 TOs. Devoe has improved enough and his outside shot give us a lot more right now.

Other than Hoffarber, our entire offense was terrible again. If Hoff doesn't go off, we only score 40 or so points.

WUG,

>>For every nice drive and dish he has about 3 TOs.<<

He had 5 TO's tonight. Maybe you should check your math.

Westbrook 2-10, 0-5 from 3, Devoe 2-6, Sampson fouls out with 2 points, Carter 1-6. I think its fair to say we struggled to score tonight, and many misses tonight were from point blank range.

shots outside of five feet

That's what is killing us. We need 4 out of 5 guys on the court to be able to make a shot that's not a layup. Recently, we are lucky if one or 2 guys on the court are capable of making a shot that's not a layup.

I am not defending Nolen's poor play tonight, but NOBODY could make a shot and it was more than just Nolen making bad turnovers.

I feel like we are better than Ohio State, and that this was a missed opportunity tonight.

It had very little impact on the game, but why was PJ Hill allowed to play much more physical defense on a ballhandler than our posts were allowed to play in the paint?

Whatever homers. Our PG play carried us during the non conference and early conference play, but how can anyone deny that the position has been a mismatch for the other team since the Northwestern loss?

Earth calling Gophers! Earth calling Gophers!

We have no chance of winning without both Nolen and Joseph, PG is a two man job.

One is a soph, the other is a freshman. The Elite Eight man not be in the cards this year, but the season isn't over yet. We play in the Big Ten and most years that can be very hard on the road without a senior team.

What's with trashing Nolen and his shooting? For one thing, he knows better than to shoot and really doesn't do it unless he's absolutely wide open. Second, for those that criticize a point guard without any shooting game, I recall a Final Four point guard named Eric Harris who couldn't shoot until his Junior or Senior year. He certainly has to work on not turning it over, but why the sense of instant gratification and irritation?????? It shouldn't come as a surprise that big ten point guards (besides Kalin Lucas) need time to develop and Nolen clearly needs more time!

I understand the frustration, but luckily, I set my standards low enough to believe that this would be an average year for the team

He can't shoot.
He doesn't defend a quicker guard.
He walks the ball up he court every time.
He panics against the press.
Missed a critical free throw tonight.

Why was DJ defending PJ Hill tonight instead of Turner?

What's with trashing Nolen and his shooting? For one thing, he knows better than to shoot and really doesn't do it unless he's absolutely wide open. Second, for those that criticize a point guard without any shooting game, I recall a Final Four point guard named Eric Harris who couldn't shoot until his Junior or Senior year. He certainly has to work on not turning it over, but why the sense of instant gratification and irritation?????? It shouldn't come as a surprise that big ten point guards (besides Kalin Lucas) need time to develop and Nolen clearly needs more time!

I understand the frustration, but luckily, I set my standards low enough to believe that this would be an average year for the team

Absolutely! Nolen is not a good shooter but, as you say he rarely shoots. If their talking about the free throw, he's not the only one who misses those. Speaking of missing shots, does everyone still want to see Carter get more minutes?

Pullman, where the heck you been? Cripes, I thought for a while you'd turned into a WSU Cougar fan!

Carter should get more minutes, but his role should be like Ben Wallace/Dennis Rodman. Defend, rebound, frustrate the opponents, and an occasional dunk.

Eric Harris played great defense and took good shots. He did not turn the ball over and played with heart especially on the final four run when he had a dislocated shoulder. Nolen could only hope to show the leadership skills Harris demonstrated.

I have been a big Nolen guy for a while, but he is in a huge slump...he can't do much right. For every nice drive and dish he has about 3 TOs. Devoe has improved enough and his outside shot give us a lot more right now.

Is Joseph not a turnover machine?

Unfortunately all our guards turn the ball over at the same rate. This will get better with stronger post play in future years.

Hey pullman - welcome back! Good post.

Thanks Moonlight. It's good to be back. I just happen to remember that Tubby IS playing with a group of players that are not his. I still have the Monson years freshly in my memory and a handful of mediocre Haskins years so that makes being over .500 in the big ten something I am thankful for.

Eric Harris was, by far, my favorite point guard. But I remembering HATING the fact that he couldn't shoot during his sophomore year and junior year, IIRC. He ultimately turned out to be a splendid big ten point guard and led the team to a conference championship, albeit with an asterick. Don't get me wrong, I get frustrated with Al, but how can anyone criticize him for jogging the ball up the court???? That's obviously something that can be corrected easily by the coaching staff. I believe what he's trying to get across to players by jogging the ball up is that he is "composed," that the team is "composed." Turnovers need to be corrected, but like I said, he needs work and if you have Joseph out there just as long as Nolen, observers would quickly understand that having someone with a year of big ten experience under there belt is better than having a freshman running the offense.

Eric Harris played great defense and took good shots. He did not turn the ball over and played with heart especially on the final four run when he had a dislocated shoulder. Nolen could only hope to show the leadership skills Harris demonstrated.

Harris was much more effective in his junior year than his two earlier years.

If we are going to discuss favorite point guards, let's take you youngsters back in time....check and see if you recognize the name...Flip Saunders.

Nolan

will save us many more times than hurt us.

Top Bottom