Trevor Mbakwe

Reaction score
His Miami Dade JC team is 20-2, ranked 5th in NJCAA poll.

Only L to #1 Chipola and early season forfeit (don't know Y).

Mbakwe averaging 13.6 pts and 11.8 rebs per game.

Yeah, I've been watching these stats on the NJCAA.org web site throughout the year. Mbakwe's been in the top 5 rebounding and top 10 blocks for most of the year (and I wonder how his minutes compare to the other guys; I'd guess his team has a lot of games in hand early). He's by far the leading rebounder on his own team, w/ 2 Memphis recruits on the front line w/ him. Doesn't look like they have any true center.

I was hoping to see them in the nat'l JC championships. However, it looks like there are over 20 regions in junior college but Miami Dade will have to get through #1 (Chipola) just to make it out of their region. I don't know what happened the first time they played, but Chipola beat them by about 20. I think Chipola won it all last yr or the year before.

I think Mbakwe will help us next year as much as any of the new freshmen recruits. Ofcourse, I thought Williams would have a good year before this season started.

Florida JUCO B-Ball

Florida Juco basketball is very good. It's common that teams are filled with a majority of players who will play D-1. At least that is how it was in the panhandle region (Pensacola JC, Okaloosa-Walton, Panama City JC, Chipola, Tallahassee JC) when I lived there in the late 90's.

My point being that the numbers he is putting up is likely against very suitable competition.

that is all fine and dandy but this gopher team cant score if no one was guarding them

and mbawke is supposed to have an offensive game that is almost primitive

that is the part that is blurring my vision on this guy

>>...this gopher team cant score if no one was guarding them<<

We shine against non-conf opponents and struggle against Big Ten defenses. It will always be that way until we can bring in some big time offensive players (Lenard, Jackson, Thompson, etc.). The eventual maturation of Iverson and Sampson might be part of the solution.

Top Bottom