What are you willing to pay for parking next year?

What are you willing to pay to park on-campus on gameday?

• My group or myself will pony up $2,500 for parking for zone 1

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • My group or myself will pay $1,000 or more to park in zone 2

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • My group or myself will take the chance to pay per game for zone 3

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • The rallys at Sally's. I won't pay that much to park nearby.

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

norman dale

Lord, grant me one Rose Bowl
Reaction score
https://onestop2.umn.edu/ppoints/public/parking.jsp

After perusing the brochure I received yesterday from the athletic department regarding the process by which seats will be chosen and the options for premium parking near the stadium I wonder what people are willing to pay "assuming" tailgating on-campus is approved without prohibitive restrictions.

In the above the link the U will designate the various parking lots on campus as zone 1, zone 2, zone 3 or zone 4. Lot designations are TBD but the required annual giving level per pass is $2,500for zone 1 and $1,000 for zone 2. Zones 3 and 4 do not require an annual giving minimum.

Our group of season ticket holders have decided

to walk from downtown where we park now. The Metrodome to campus is one mile, an easy walk. A great walk through campus before the game and after avoiding the conjestion on University Avenue and around campus.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From what I read, the $2,500 or $1,000 is just an annual license or "annual giving" as the brocure says. You would still have to pay for the parking, say $40.00 per game or whatever. That is one expensive parking spot for 7 games a year. They better allow alcohol for tailgates if this is the case. I am pretty dissapointed with the U's decision here. This is no way to promote a team or build a fanbase.

Link is dead.

The brochure didn't even say what lots are what zones.

I would think they will waste all the close spots on people who don't even tailgate.

Talk about disappointment

Where's the Light Rail LinK

Since many fans took the train to the Dome for Gopher Games is the U. Metro Transit or any other provider of transportation looking at the possibilities of running a shuttle from the plaza at the Dome to the Plaza at D;Bank?

I've got to believe that there's got to be quite a bit of demand for the opportunity to do just that.

Nothing. I will park at my neices condo and walk a mile or so. If she gets married off B4 then, its the fair grounds and shuttle bus or train from somewhere on the transit.

Norman Dale - I have to stop reading this thread - not because of the replies, but because of the situation. Quite frankly, it's pissing me off way too much.

The fact that people have to cough up thousands, take the light rail, the bus, whatever train, plane or automobile they can get a hand on...is ridiculous! Wasn't the idea to NOT have to take the bus to a game?

Whoever said that the $2500 spots are not even going to go to tailgators, is dead on. We were just talking about it this weekend. I need to excuse myself from this topic until something more concrete comes out - hopefully, the powers that be will realize that this is HUGE part of the game day experience, and when you have that, people will come even when you're losing...if you're taking a bus in from downtown, how likely is it that you may not hop on that bus if we have a 1-11 year? Pretty likely. It happened a lot this year, and we were 7-1.

I totally agree GopherLady, I am more than willing to pay for a tailgating spot but how does the university expect you to shell out $1000 to $2500 for a spot with no clue where the spot will be. Would you pay $2500 to buy a used car sight unseen because the salesman says trust me you will like it, NO. That unfortunately is what the university is asking you to do. Also, how many spots are in zones 3 and 4 and if you don't get a spot there then what are your options. I would have preferred that the university ironed all these details out before sending out the priority points materials as there isn't exactly a rush to get those out the door.

After thinking about this a bit more I feel that with the prior mailing and the drive to get as much cash as possible right now the U wants nothing to do with pissing off us normal gopher fans that can't afford to drop a couple g's for a good parking spot. i believe they are just trying to get the most cash that they can without revealing the true details of the tailgating plans, if any, in Dinkytown.

I wish the Goal Line club had more power to grab a few of these close lots for us real fans that cheer for this program every game and tailgate for hours during game day.

If I miss my guess

Much like it was at Memorial Stadium, the way to go was at the time to meet at Paul's Place on Snelling for a brunch and take a bus the offered. I know Jacks will have one, and you will see Sensor's, Majors, et all probably offering with a meal and a drink.

They always give the closest spots to big donors, at every school, everywhere.

We have a very urban, dense campus without a whole lot of parking. Our tailgating scene will be a lot more like Wisconsin than Penn State.

Did anyone expect different?

They always give the closest spots to big donors, at every school, everywhere.

We have a very urban, dense campus without a whole lot of parking. Our tailgating scene will be a lot more like Wisconsin than Penn State.

Bingo. I think this sucks as much as anyone. And I wonder if the U should have resisted the $$$ right off the bat and eased a plan like this in. But ya know what? Then people would bitch that they've been tailgating at the same spot for 4 years or whatever and that they are getting a bait and switch to have to pay the $$$. This is no win. The only way to make everyone happy here is to not charge premium fees for parking and guess what...that never has and never will be an option. Want a program that wins? $$$ are a big part of that and the U is making it clear that they will leverage every $$$ they can out of TCF. The only way I think they truly F this all up is if they make a high % (like 60% +) of the lots listed cost money. If its 50% or less than I see the uproar being lessened.

It sucks and I think the fairgrounds are not a great option. But guess what...this is much less of an issue if the city stops being bull headed about their tailgating ordinances...if private lots could offer tailgating there would be plenty more options. Not all would be true tailgate lots, but the extra beer gardens, radio tailgates, etc. would add to the atmosphere.

I hate to say it, but Wisky or Iowa are the models to shoot for. Wisky creates a great environment by leveraging all available open lots (private and UW). Many small private lots become beer gardens and other private lots become tailgate locations. But guess what...all the UW lots are pricey! I tailgate with friends about a 15 min walk from Camp Randall. The UW lot that is maybe 2 min closer to the stadium? $2500 a year to earn the right to pay more. I suspect we've found one of the few reasonable options near CR that is a UW lot and is free.

I wish we had fields like Indiana and could all park for $5/$10 like they do. But we don't.

Top Bottom