Devoe Joseph

Goph4phan

Reaction score
I realize that Paul Carter has already been discussed fairly thoroughly on this board. For the most part we all agree that he should start because of the energy and shot creation ability he brings to the court.

What about Devoe starting for Al? I'd love to see the starting 5 shaken up a bit and think Devoe (with PC) could really bring the energy that we have been lacking to start games. Devoe plays with the same swagger and confidence that PC plays with ... and I think Al has been broken. He needs to watch a few more minutes than what he's been playing to settle him down a little bit. He hasn't been playing like the Al Nolen that we all have grown accustomed to watching.

Then for the first (line change) subs Tubby could bring in:
Al
Colt
Hoff
?
?

Thoughts?

No thanks. Devoe has the worst TO rate on a team that ranks 292nd nationally in oppenents steal %. He's not a guy I want dominating the ball.

I think at the end of the shot clock when we need someone to create their own shot devoe is the best option. he doesent lose the ball like westbrook and he shoots better than nolan. I'd like to see him get chance to go to the basket, pull up or draw a foul. I wouldn't want him in for al though

I don't know if he's quick enough to be a primary PG. In a lot of ways, it would be nice to have Joseph develop into more of a solid option at the 2 and to be on the court with Nolen more.

Does anyone else see the lack of ideal quickness for a combo guard? Regardless he should develop into a solid player.

I like what Joseph brings to the court. He and Carter came in and looked like the 2 players who had energy against MSU. I don't know about starting him, but i would love to see him get more minutes. He's really getting better! He's also been our best jumpshooter in the last few games.

No thanks. Devoe has the worst TO rate on a team that ranks 292nd nationally in oppenents steal %. He's not a guy I want dominating the ball.
Remember he was a shooting guard coming into the season. He has also been doing better holding on to the ball as of late. But, I agree. I would rather see Al bringing the ball up the court against pressure.

I love Devoe, but I have to disagree with this. While its nice to have a PG that scores, let's remember their primary job is to bring the ball up, distribute, and play good D. I really hope Devoe evolves as 2, but I don't mind him getting PG minutes now because Nolen needs a break and it will help him protect the ball down the line.

Devoe will remembered as our 2 guard. But, as of right now, he should be getting more minutes at PG. I don't know if he should be starting, but Al is clearly struggling and having Devoe in there will only help both out.

I agree with Big L...

I like DeVoe alot but the anti-Al fervor in some corners strikes me as way over the top. Al is our best defensive guard and our best point guard. Period. Sure he got lit up by MSU twice but that doesnt mean you throw the baby out with the bath water! I am a big supporter of Al Nolen. We didnt get trounced at MSU because of Al Nolen. We got trounced at MSU because we were out manned and out played at every position no matter who we had out there. Yes, Carter and DeVoe were the bright lights in an otherwise dark night and should see more playing time for it, IMHO. That doesnt mean you start them both.

Finally, I wish the thread with Al's name in it was deleted. Blasting one of our players like that, to use the authors own words, "SUCKS". Al puts it on the line every game and doesnt deserve to be trashed by someone hiding in the shadows of the internet.

Isnt natedawg a regular?

I like DeVoe alot but the anti-Al fervor in some corners strikes me as way over the top. Al is our best defensive guard and our best point guard. Period. Sure he got lit up by MSU twice but that doesnt mean you throw the baby out with the bath water! I am a big supporter of Al Nolen. We didnt get trounced at MSU because of Al Nolen. We got trounced at MSU because we were out manned and out played at every position no matter who we had out there. Yes, Carter and DeVoe were the bright lights in an otherwise dark night and should see more playing time for it, IMHO. That doesnt mean you start them both.

Finally, I wish the thread with Al's name in it was deleted. Blasting one of our players like that, to use the authors own words, "SUCKS". Al puts it on the line every game and doesnt deserve to be trashed by someone hiding in the shadows of the internet.

Odd that he would trash a player.

I'm hardly hiding in the shadows of the internet, I think my picture has been posted on this site dozens of times.

Sucks was a poor choice of words, he could obviously kick my ass at basketball.

You can hash and rehash stats all you want, but a great point guard leads a great offense.

Our offense is putrid.

Point..

I'm hardly hiding in the shadows of the internet, I think my picture has been posted on this site dozens of times.

Sucks was a poor choice of words, he could obviously kick my ass at basketball.

You can hash and rehash stats all you want, but a great point guard leads a great offense.

Our offense is putrid.

Point taken.

Is there a great PG in the conference? I think Lucas may be the best point guard in the big ten but I am not sure I would call him great. Top 5 in the country would be great, is Lucas top five? I dont know.

Our offense is putrid. This is a correct statement and it applies to 8 out of the 10 conference games. We have won games purely off of defense and hustle. A good thing.

I think our starting lineup is not a good situation. 2 young big guys who aren't real comfortable in a half court offense. A great forward who gets his points off of defensive hustle and junk. A 6-1 point guard who is not a great outside shooter (but who still is a good point guard despite recent poor play) and a two guard that is 5-11. Against teams like MSU that have tall quick guards we are dead in the water with this lineup. To top it off the starting lineup does not tend to move well without the ball.

The second stringers, Hoffarber,Carter ,et al tend to move without the ball better and this is making it a little easier on Joseph at the point. I would like to see Joesph out there more and more but I would put him at the 2 guard with either Nolen or Westbrook and as I have said many times I would give Bostick more time at the 2 as well.

I say all of that having retired with an 0-8 record coaching pee wee ball while Tubby is a hall of famer. This, after all, is the internet.

I believe Al Nolan is the best PG the Gophers have had since Terrence Simmons. Al is just so much better than anything we've seen in Maroon and Gold (and sometimes white) recently that we forget just how good a top Big Ten PG is. I think Al is only a run-of-the-mill PG in this conference, who has been absolutely spanked by at least two of the top ones (fellow sophs Battle & Lucas).

The Big Ten has some pretty good coaches who are figuring out how to take advantage of some Gophers weaknesses, one of which is a lack of scorers (something I pointed out before the season even began). Westbrook has actually been an above average go-to option, but there's nobody else on this team that has really stepped forward on a regular basis. Bostick has been a bust. Carter does everything but get the ball through the hoop. DJ is more of a garbage scorer. Sampson has shown some inside moves but keeps missing open mid-range shots. And this has resulted in Nolan playing to a big weakness, trying to score points.

Enter Devoe Joseph. The Gophers need another scorer. I think the Gopher offense has actually looked better, more often, with Devoe in the game. So start Devoe?

It's not like the Gophers are having a terrible season. I fact they are doing better than many expected, so don't panic. Start Al, but get Devoe in earlier if Al and the offense is struggling and leave Devoe in if he's producing.

Here's my opinion of Al. He's a very solid PG. But he is not an offensive weapon. It's not a good option for the Gophers (right now) when Al is looking for his shot. Instead, his points need to come from transition or when he's absolutely wide open. But, his half-court offense definately needs work. Instead, he should focus his offense around his management on the court and getting other players involved.

I guess "starting" Devoe over Al may be a little over the top. I'm just sick of watching:
1. Our offense start turtle slow and getting into holes against competition that won't let us dig ourselves out.
2. Al walking the ball up court and getting into our sets (whatever those might be) with 20 seconds left on the shot clock.

My frustration and reasoning for this thread is because I am sick of watching the boys start nearly every game slow on offense, getting dug into a hole, and having to dig themselves out. I'm not saying that this would solve anything, I'd just like to see the starting 5 shaken up, and see where that takes us. If it doesn't work, well, we're back to the internet message community drawing board, I guess.

Our offense is not putrid

We have seen putrid. This is not it.
Lots of room for improvement and lots of reasons to think we will improve.

Who is our "offensive coordinator" for basketball? It seems like we have a defensive head coach. Don't we need to bring in some one who knows offense?

I guess "starting" Devoe over Al may be a little over the top. I'm just sick of watching:
1. Our offense start turtle slow and getting into holes against competition that won't let us dig ourselves out.2. Al walking the ball up court and getting into our sets (whatever those might be) with 20 seconds left on the shot clock.

My frustration and reasoning for this thread is because I am sick of watching the boys start nearly every game slow on offense, getting dug into a hole, and having to dig themselves out. I'm not saying that this would solve anything, I'd just like to see the starting 5 shaken up, and see where that takes us. If it doesn't work, well, we're back to the internet message community drawing board, I guess.

Should the coach not recognize this and try something different for a game or two?

TruthTeller obviously wasn't around for that clemson game at home. Its kinda sad that your so bitter about Tubby doing just a good job at Kentucky your posting here. We are very happy with him turning our program around, and unlike Kentucky, we understand there are bumps in the road. Now please go back to catpause and b*tch about your new coach instead of your old one.

TruthTeller obviously wasn't around for that clemson game at home. Its kinda sad that your so bitter about Tubby doing just a good job at Kentucky your posting here. We are very happy with him turning our program around, and unlike Kentucky, we understand there are bumps in the road. Now please go back to catpause and b*tch about your new coach instead of your old one.

I was actually there.

Very, very similar offense this season.

By the way, I have never posted on a Ky board.

Well then you would know that offense wasn't the problem in that game. The gophers just folded under Clemson's fullcourt press. Its odd that someone who was at that game didn't know that.

"The truth".....

is the Kentucky poster, not Truth Teller.

Can we get back to Devoe for a minute! He's going to very good, but probably as an off guard. He moves well without the ball, is a good passer and can hit the open jumper. As soon as he learns to get to the rim a little bit more, his offensive game may take off!!!

Well then you would know that offense wasn't the problem in that game. The gophers just folded under Clemson's fullcourt press. Its odd that someone who was at that game didn't know that.

When the opposition is pressing, the other team is on offense I believe.

What is odd is someone who cant see, and admit to the similarities between the offense that season and the offense this season.

Playing putrid and being putrid are not the same thing. Should we sztay on topic as Lefty suggests?

I enjoy seeing Devoe and Al out there together and look forward to more of that as the situation warrants. And its great to have more than one guard who can play the point when in the past we seldom had even one.

When the opposition is pressing, the other team is on offense I believe.

What is odd is someone who cant see, and admit to the similarities between the offense that season and the offense this season.

And we have had no problem at all with the press this year. Because of Al Nolen.

And just as a reminder, we are 18-4. 18-4!! Where were we two years ago?

42 - 16 ???

42-16 at half not putrid?

Rancid perhaps?

I prefer to enjoy these numbers : 18 - 4 !!!!

18 - 4
18 - 4
18 - 4
18 - 4
18 - 4

etc, etc, etc, when was the last time we started 18 -4 without breaking the rules and getting our hands slapped ?

I think Devoe has the capability, and all the weapons to start. He can create his own shot, take care of the ball and penetrate to the basket, and he plays hard.There are still some things he needs to improve, but given the chance to play more minutes, I think he would do so. You can tell his basketball iq is very high and he has a presence when he is on the court. Starting over Al is a bit much, but that doesnt mean he shouldnt ever start or get more pt..what about the thought of them starting together some games???..in a game like the one we saw against Michigan State, it would have been nice to see a small starting line up to change things up for once.

Top Bottom