Embarassing game recap by Randy Shaver on KARE11

Art Vandelay

Banned
Reaction score
Further proof that the media in this town is clueless and doesn't watch the games.

Shaver leads the sports news tonight by saying the Gophers put together a great effort but came up short losing 63-58.

Not only did he get the score wrong but saying the Gophers had a "great effort" and "came up short" couldn't be further from the truth.

What a joke....

Further proof that the media in this town is clueless and doesn't watch the games.

Shaver leads the sports news tonight by saying the Gophers put together a great effort but came up short losing 63-58.

Not only did he get the score wrong but saying the Gophers had a "great effort" and "came up short" couldn't be further from the truth.

What a joke....

While that is embarassing, I wouldn't say that "came up short" is false.

"Embarassing" thread titling by Art Vandelay on GopherHole

Every morning I catch part of Shaver's sports talk on 93X on the way to work. He is generally just awfully clueless about the Gophers it seems. I can't see why the media can't put one decent person to know anything about Gophers and be able to report on it.

Also today he claimed that the next Michigan game was in Ann Arbor and then defended it when the DJ's told him he was wrong.

He also has claimed that this year's dunk contest was "the best in the last decade", when it doesn't break the top 3 or 4.

Give the guy a break. He's a TV guy, not a sports guy. Nobody ever told him he should get it right.

At least the newspaper reporters can all remember when newspapers were supposed to get it right, well the ones over 40 years of age.

Every morning I catch part of Shaver's sports talk on 93X on the way to work. He is generally just awfully clueless about the Gophers it seems. I can't see why the media can't put one decent person to know anything about Gophers and be able to report on it.

Also today he claimed that the next Michigan game was in Ann Arbor and then defended it when the DJ's told him he was wrong.

He also has claimed that this year's dunk contest was "the best in the last decade", when it doesn't break the top 3 or 4.

I sometimes listen to 93X in the morning and I heard the same thing about this weekend's game being in Ann Arbor. He admitted that the newspaper had it wrong which means he does nothing more than read from the newspaper instead of doing his own research and having the knowledge of being a sports anchor for 20+ years on the #1 rated news station.

How does someone is Shaver's position not have the Gopher's schedule memorized - or at least the next 5-6 games? When I talk sports with my buddies or co-workers I can tell you the upcoming schedule for the next 2-3 weeks for every team in this town - and I don't even get paid six figures to talk about it on air for about 30 minutes total a day.

Embarrassing.....

I only watch/listen to Shaver if I accidently stumble accross him. Seems to me he 'reads' the sports new. No research, leg work or real interest. Grab a chair, sit down, look pretty and read the news.

Definitely take Rosen or Schmidt over Shaver.

Rosen is OK but Joe Schmit (sp?) is absolutely brutal. The only person worse then Schmit in this market is Jim Rich on Fox9 (if we're talking lead sports anchors only).

Each station seems to have their own Russell Shimoka's on the weekends....

Schmit would be correct.

Edit. I must have been thinking of; Crane..Pool..and Schmidt.

In other news I did get to listen to Spencer Tollackson talk Gophers on the drive home on KFAN. I enjoy how enthusiastic he is about the Gophers, but also how willing and ready he is to call them out when something doesn't make sense. He really brings a lot of intelligence to Gopher's bball analysis when there is a definite lack of it,

Top Bottom