I wouldn't even accept a NIT invitation

Rickman55

Banned
Reaction score
just stay home so we don't have to watch anymore of this patethic display.

Maturi will be happy as a billygoat to take one.

:eek: I believe when the NCAA bought out the NIT an NCAA team can no longer decline an invitation. They must accept - for one game at least.

Being in the NIT would obviously be a bitter pill for a team that had very realistic NCAA Tournament aspirations really not all that long ago, but I'll watch them in the NIT and there's no real downside to them playing in it. We'd be almost guaranteed at least one more home game in the NIT, which equates to more revenue for the athletic department, and beyond that it's basically 'free basketball', another game (or games) in which these young players can get more experience and playing time against high-level competition. And there are always plenty of good teams in the NIT, teams that for whatever reason did not meet the criteria for playing in the Big Dance, and that's always good too.

Its meaningfulness and significance pales in comparison to that of the Big Dance, but still the NIT is a worthy tournament in its own right, and a good run in the NIT can be a real springboard for a young team heading into the next season.

The NIT is the tournament I hope the Gophers never have to play in, but quite often it has value, especially for teams with some young players. And we certainly have several of those.

Just as I'd much rather play in the NCAA than the NIT, I'd much rather play in the NIT than nothing at all. That's enough of the NIT discussion for now; let's beat Michigan and stave it off for a little longer.

The post of Angry Fan on every team's message board right before the buble bursts.

The post of Angry Fan on every team's message board right before the buble bursts.

+1

As a close friend of mine reminds me when I'm upset after a sports game, they're just going to play next year. It's just a game.

I wouldn't even accept a NIT invitation

It's not like you're on the team. That's a ridiculous statement.

Shaking my head in disgust at the OP.

MaroonGopher and Rickmann55 - you guys are brilliant.

You're right - Let's turn down a chance for extra practice time for our young players, $$$ for the program, and more TV exposure so that you can sit and sulk and not have to be 'subjected' to the team's play.

With fans like these...

You're right - Let's turn down a chance for extra practice time for our young players, $$$ for the program, and more TV exposure so that you can sit and sulk and not have to be 'subjected' to the team's play.

With fans like these...

If only there was a law saying you couldn't be forced to watch.

Yeah the extra practice will help about as much as making a bowl game in football helps a football team because of the extra practices.....please don't give me that argument. It's a day later and I still don't think they should accept an invitation.

With fans like these...

if we are worried about "exposure" we have more problems than a losing season in the Big Ten. "Exposure" is not a concern, we are in a major conference and nearly all of our games are on television. Nothing drives me crazier than hearing "exposure" is needed in our athletic dept.

we are not a bottom tier mid major

if we are worried about "exposure" we have more problems than a losing season in the Big Ten. "Exposure" is not a concern, we are in a major conference and nearly all of our games are on television. Nothing drives me crazier than hearing "exposure" is needed in our athletic dept.

we are not a bottom tier mid major

Are you suggesting that additional game time exposure does nothing for us? Exposure can also be measured in QUANTITY too. Say we get 3 games deep into the NIT - that's 3 more games than say Iowa or Indiana get exposed to the nation, even if its a limited audience.

That's 3 more games that Maverick, Chip, and Austin get PT in. Its 3 more games that Blake (and hell, maybe even Al) get to play before riding off into the sunset. Not to mention it brings in more cash.

Rickman and Maroon - Why stop at just rejecting an NIT bid? Why not just cancel the rest of the season too? They should just forfeit the rest of their games by your fractured logic.

You don't want to see the Gophers play any more this season. Then don't. Turn off your TV or sell your remaining tickets. Do us all a favor, and donate this time you'd save to a charitable cause.

Are you suggesting that additional game time exposure does nothing for us? Exposure can also be measured in QUANTITY too. Say we get 3 games deep into the NIT - that's 3 more games than say Iowa or Indiana get exposed to the nation, even if its a limited audience.

That's 3 more games that Maverick, Chip, and Austin get PT in. Its 3 more games that Blake (and hell, maybe even Al) get to play before riding off into the sunset. Not to mention it brings in more cash.

Rickman and Maroon - Why stop at just rejecting an NIT bid? Why not just cancel the rest of the season too? They should just forfeit the rest of their games by your fractured logic.

You don't want to see the Gophers play any more this season. Then don't. Turn off your TV or sell your remaining tickets. Do us all a favor, and donate this time you'd save to a charitable cause.

I would love the nit for the practice elements for our young guys. we are in the big ten we don't need "exposure" we get plenty!

Top Bottom