Clem's teams rarely lost at the barn

Go Gophs

Reaction score
Just sayin...

You have to protect your home court. This team doesn't do it. It is sad when even marginal teams can come in here and take it to us. I remember back in the day if you weren't a top 10 national team, you were not going to get a win at Willum. Sorry to say those days are gone.

I wanna puke. NIT here we come. What a letdown after a start of the season that had me thinking sweet sixteen or better. Minnesota sports suck.:mad:

at least with Clem the building had life. biggest game of the year. a game the team needed to have and to play like they did is just sad. no energy, no energy in the crowd. a whole different feeling under this current head coach surrounding the team.

His teams played hard as hell and the barn was one of the best and toughest arenas in the Bigten if not the country. This teams plays like they are sleepwalking and looks like they could care less half the time. There is something to be said for a coach that can get their players up to play big games.
I like Tubby, but comeon. No reason for us to lose as many games as we have been at the barn.

The other day I saw on the B10 network an old game between MN and WI, made me miss Clem! Bobby Jackson, Courtney James, Sam Jacobson.

Im sure it's tough to get excited when a team scores 21 in a half. Beside's Chips play in the 2nd half, what was there to get the crowd on its feet?? Don't blame the crowd.

His teams played hard as hell and the barn was one of the best and toughest arenas in the Bigten if not the country. This teams plays like they are sleepwalking and looks like they could care less half the time. There is something to be said for a coach that can get their players up to play big games.
I like Tubby, but comeon. No reason for us to lose as many games as we have been at the barn.

I saw his teams play twice. Nov 1989 at Cincinnati (UC won) and Mar 1997 versus Kentucky (UK won) but both Gopher teams played very well in those 2 games.

A while ago it was "Tubby never loses 4 in a row". Now it will be Tubby has never lost 4 in a row at home when Michigan comes to the Barn Saturday.

I saw his teams play twice. Nov 1989 at Cincinnati (UC won) and Mar 1997 versus Kentucky (UK won) but both Gopher teams played very well in those 2 games.

Well I can tell you this. If a Michigan State team this marginal were to come into our house and shoot as bad as they did against one of his teams, they would have been blown out by 20.

Clem's teams rarely lost at the barn....and rarely ever won on the road. That's what I remember anyway.

Seemed like we were 8-1 at home in the Big Ten every year and always 1-8 on the road under Clem. And always a bubble team. His teams were like night and day between home and road games.

I'm gonna join this Chicken-Littlefest and just add that it is just frustrating as all heck when the powerhouses are beatable, and we can't muster 40 minutes of intensity to get the W. Sheesh, Izzo's squad was soooo beatable tonight, and the intensity wasn't there, the execution wasn't there, the ball care wasn't there, the shooting wasn't there.

I don't go negative very often, but this team had the audacity to raise hopes by beating some really good opponents, and now this.

Grrrr...

Okay, got that out of my system....

Go Gophers!

I'm gonna join this Chicken-Littlefest and just add that it is just frustrating as all heck when the powerhouses are beatable, and we can't muster 40 minutes of intensity to get the W. Sheesh, Izzo's squad was soooo beatable tonight, and the intensity wasn't there, the execution wasn't there, the ball care wasn't there, the shooting wasn't there.

I don't go negative very often, but this team had the audacity to raise hopes by beating some really good opponents, and now this.

Grrrr...

Okay, got that out of my system....

Go Gophers!

That was a different team.

Clem's teams rarely lost at the barn....and rarely ever won on the road. That's what I remember anyway.
Seemed like we were 8-1 at home in the Big Ten every year and always 1-8 on the road under Clem. And always a bubble team. His teams were like night and day between home and road games.

That was my first thought also.

I will say, players reflect their coach in terms of demeanor, style of play, etc. Clem was a fire-cracker on the sidelines and preached his "play hard" mantra. The team (and the fans) reflected his fire-cracker style. Burton, Newborn, Voshon, Jackson, etc.--they were all firey emotional players. This might explain their strong record at home and weak road record. The players and coach Clem could rile up a crowd in no time. They also were prone to fouling (a ton), unlike Tubby who preaches that fouling negates hustle.

Tubby is very measured and plodding. Much more of a control freak. He's made a few comments since he's been here about how players need to control their emotions and be focused. Tubby has also seemed disinterested at times--as do his players at times.

Both were high on tough defense (albiet Clem's defense was more of the mobbing, beat them over the head with a stick type defense, while Tubby's defense is more about length and jumping into passing lanes).

In the end though, they have two very different coaching styles. I think Tubby should stay, but man I wish he would loosen up and be more animated on the sidelines.

(Also, I wish Tubby would engage his players more during the game -- for the Clem fans, it seemed like every time he took a player out of the game, Clem would have an extended conversation with him on the sideline, offering some tips and encouragement. The players now look like they are scared as hell of Tubby when they are taken out of the game.)

I will say, players reflect their coach in terms of demeanor, style of play, etc. Clem was a fire-cracker on the sidelines and preached his "play hard" mantra. The team (and the fans) reflected his fire-cracker style. Burton, Newborn, Voshon, Jackson, etc.--they were all firey emotional players. This might explain their strong record at home and weak road record. The players and coach Clem could rile up a crowd in no time. They also were prone to fouling (a ton), unlike Tubby who preaches that fouling negates hustle.

Tubby is very measured and plodding. Much more of a control freak. He's made a few comments since he's been here about how players need to control their emotions and be focused. Tubby has also seemed disinterested at times--as do his players at times.

Both were high on tough defense (albiet Clem's defense was more of the mobbing, beat them over the head with a stick type defense, while Tubby's defense is more about length and jumping into passing lanes).

In the end though, they have two very different coaching styles. I think Tubby should stay, but man I wish he would loosen up and be more animated on the sidelines.

(Also, I wish Tubby would engage his players more during the game -- for the Clem fans, it seemed like every time he took a player out of the game, Clem would have an extended conversation with him on the sideline, offering some tips and encouragement. The players now look like they are scared as hell of Tubby when they are taken out of the game.)[/QUOTE]

I remember that very well and have been thinking about it quite a bit lately.

(Also, I wish Tubby would engage his players more during the game -- for the Clem fans, it seemed like every time he took a player out of the game, Clem would have an extended conversation with him on the sideline, offering some tips and encouragement. The players now look like they are scared as hell of Tubby when they are taken out of the game.)

Great post. This is exactly what I was thinking when I started this one.

What was his w/l percentate at home in year 4? Stats? Proof? Anything? Don't start threads without showing anything to back it up.

What was his w/l percentate at home in year 4? Stats? Proof? Anything? Don't start threads without showing anything to back it up.

His fourth year was his elite 8 year, I recall. His third year he went to the NCAA second round. I'm sure you can google his home/road record.

Clem beat about 5 top 10 teams at home in his third and fourth years, including #1 Illinois. I think they went 8-1 both years. Good enough for you?

I think the one thing that Clem did that I'd like to see more of was keep people fired up by throwing his jacket into the crowd, yelling at the refs, etc. Tubby's teams don't get calls. They just don't. I'm afraid it's because the squeaky wheels get grease, and Tubby doesn't ride the refs as much as Bo, Izzo, Painter, etc.

Clem's teams cheated.

Was waiting for somebody to finally mention the 800-lb gorilla in the room. Thanks FTB.

Yeah, I loved Clem too, and some of my fondest memories come from sitting in that student section from 95-99... ...but his accomplishments are completely tarnished by the culture of academic impropriety he allowed. I'm sure our record would be better right now, if we had kids in the gym 24 hours a day instead of going to class.

No doubt Clem's teams were involved in cheating. Even so, the on-the-court comparisons between Clem/Tubby highlight many of the issues people complain of here. In particular, the lack of crowd support, lack of enthusiasm from Tubby and the players, and the strained player-coach relationships we're seeing.

Again, Tubby has seemed less and less interested and animated every year since he's been here and conversely, grumpier and grumpier towards the program and its players.

Eat a turd. You know his teams were better at home unless you didn't watch them back then.

His 4th year he was 23-9(11-7 BT) and took them to the elite 8. I don't know what his home away splits were but I am pretty sure that they won most if not all of their home games. That good enough for ya?

Eat a turd. You know his teams were better at home unless you didn't watch them back then.

His 4th year he was 23-9(11-7 BT) and took them to the elite 8. I don't know what his home away splits were but I am pretty sure that they won most if not all of their home games. That good enough for ya?

Oh ok big man. Way to talk tough. All I am sayin is if you are going to say Clems teams had better home records then lets see the comparison rather than just some random poster who says so. Your post was just your opinion without the home W/L records being compared in year 4. Being pretty sure doesn't count for squat. That being said, my fondest memories were of CLem's gophs.

For everyone that thinks that clem never had any blemishes on his record, besides that whole academic scandal thing ive heard of, they missed postseason play three times, and went to the nit four times...

Clem was about .500 in conference play as a coach. (including his cheating). He won 66% of his games in conference play 1/11 seasons and it was not legal. Get off his....Nevermind

Top Bottom