execution or play design???

Reaction score
Is is that the players can't execute the set plays Tubby draws up late in games, or that they don't draw up anything?

I don't think the Gophers converted on one possession after a called time out tonight.

Not only did the ball handler make some questionable decisions, but there also was no movement off the ball (i.e. screens, back cuts). MSU was just able to play solid on ball D, and the other guys could help some, as they knew the player they were guarding wasn't going anywhere.

FRUSTRATING...

The last play was on Armelin. Instead of taking that step back of balance 3 in when you have your defender beat he needs to go to the hole there. Much higher percentage shot along with a much higher chance to get fouled and go to the line. The Gophers didn't need a 3 they just needed a 2 to tie the game up and send it to OT.

Execution. If a player doesn't get a good screen on someone, a play isn't going to work regardless. It's like a lineman missing an assignment in football.

Go watch the Ohio State game again (or any of their games for that matter). Watch their guys screen and curl. There's a reason Lighty and Buford hit so many jump shots.

Set plays are about guards who can penetrate. We have one in Chip but he will make freshmen mistakes. You have to be strong with the ball as the ticky tak fouls aren't called, and you have to have the quickness to penetrate. I give it 50/50. We have the worst inbounds plays. And we have a team of duplicate parts and we are missing some major ones.

Hollins had a wide open three from the left corner.
Mbwake had a one on one right hook in the middle.
Armelin missed the three pointer from the right.

If you are going to win you have to make those shots. They were open relatively uncontested shots.

If you are going to win you have to make those shots. They were open relatively uncontested shots.
Have to disagree there, all 3 were seriously contested.

Hollins had to shoot a huge rainbow over the D's (I think Summers') hand, Mbakwe was forced out to the middle of the paint and tossed up a contested 1-handed shot over the defender (Green?), and Chip had a hand right in his face as he attempted the pull back 3.

I wouldn't call any of them remotely close to "uncontested."

Have to disagree there, all 3 were seriously contested.

Hollins had to shoot a huge rainbow over the D's (I think Summers') hand, Mbakwe was forced out to the middle of the paint and tossed up a contested 1-handed shot over the defender (Green?), and Chip had a hand right in his face as he attempted the pull back 3.

I wouldn't call any of them remotely close to "uncontested."

Chip had a lane to get an open floater, or at least take it all the way and get fouled. He "settled" for that three, the defender was down and he bailed him out. But yeah, the other two weren't exactly open looks. Mbakwe probably didn't get the look he could have gotten up over Green, probably a little toasted after playing 36 minutes.

Chip had a lane to get an open floater, or at least take it all the way and get fouled. He "settled" for that three, the defender was down and he bailed him out. But yeah, the other two weren't exactly open looks. Mbakwe probably didn't get the look he could have gotten up over Green, probably a little toasted after playing 36 minutes.

I watched the replay after getting home. Driving was possible but iffy. As he started to go forward two guys converged toward him- it's possible he could have split them and gotten to the bucket but it's also quite possible they could have stripped him as they met in the lane. I think if it's just one guy coming at him he goes for it.

The shot that would have won us the game was the Hollins reverse dunk. Would have put us up 9 points. Instead MSU got fast break points on the other end to bring it to 5. That shot goes in the end game plays out differently.

Top Bottom