14-1 in last four minutes

JohnnyGopher

Reaction score
Up 47-39 with 4:15 to play in a game that meant so much and we are outscored 14-1.. Absolutely pathetic

I am just speechless right now, this rivals the illinois choke that Monson had.

Up 47-39 with 4:15 to play in a game that meant so much and we are outscored 14-1.. Absolutely pathetic

That Illinois game was Monson's Waterloo. Michigan 2003 was Mason's. Maybe this is Tubby's. Ugh.

NO PG

The 14-1 happened when they pressed. If they would have pressed all night they would have won by 35.

I never thought my first post would be about basketball (and a bad loss) but, jesus 14-1 run to end the game? No ability to rebound? 48 points?

I have been a fan of the bball team for 25 years, I love them and I am a huge Tubby backer, but this season is terrible. I am speechless, I am actually really upset and I don't let sporting events upset me. This is unacceptable.

BTW I am not a troll in any way, I hate that my first post is about this. :/

No Pg is no excuse in this situation. Look at the last 2-3 minutes of the game, how many 50/50 balls were out there? 4? 5? 6?..How many did the Gophers get? ZERO

Speechless

In addition to speechless I am just sickened. With a chance to salvage the season with a big win the Gophs lost their heads and got outworked when it mattered most.

Lack of PG is a Tubby issue, he can't seem to keep them eligible or in school. He needed to go Juco PG this past summer with Nolen academic issues lingering but choose to give scholarships to Mav and Chip. For a team that you thought would contend this year, unacceptable

No Pg is no excuse in this situation. Look at the last 2-3 minutes of the game, how many 50/50 balls were out there? 4? 5? 6?..How many did the Gophers get? ZERO

Complete lack of hustle. But let's not forget, most of those guys played about the final 10-12 minutes, and at least 2 of those (Hollins, Armelin) have rarely played that long. They may have simply been gassed. One must ask though, when MSU put on the press, why wasn't Ahanmisi in there?

I'm sure Al can hardly wait to heal up and hurry back for the NIT!

I am right there with you johnny. The difference between ILL & 2night was ILL was a decent team. This one really hurts and I am beyond disgusted. Was there any sense of urgency in our team tonight? Did anyone seem to have a bounce in their step? Just wow. Some fo the lazy passes which turned into fast break freebies are uncontiounable (sp?).

Not sure who to blame here. Tubby? Officials? Crowd? all fo the above?

And if I see Iverson on offense NOT cut to the basket when his man leaves to doubleteam on teh perimeter I am gonna lose it.

FINALLY - what do we run on under the basket out of bound plays? Four player 'posting up' their person & lobbing the ball in.....

DISGUSTINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Lack of PG is a Tubby issue, he can't seem to keep them eligible or in school. He needed to go Juco PG this past summer with Nolen academic issues lingering but choose to give scholarships to Mav and Chip. For a team that you thought would contend this year, unacceptable

That's BS.

Nolen and Joseph were set at PG and back-up then.

Ahanmisi was fine tonight. He joined Chip during the run that put the Gophers up 8 with less than 5 minutes to play. But then Tubby took out his best ball handler and turned to a bunch of 2 guards to beat Izzo's press.

No reason to at least not substitute Ahanmisi in on offense down the stretch. Complete Tubby failure in the last 5 minutes.

The big difference is that Illinois was at least a great team. We just got beat 14-1 in 4:15 by a Spartan team that looks like they would have trouble scoring that many against Augsburg in that time frame. Pitiful.

I am right there with you johnny. The difference between ILL & 2night was ILL was a decent team. This one really hurts and I am beyond disgusted. Was there any sense of urgency in our team tonight? Did anyone seem to have a bounce in their step? Just wow. Some fo the lazy passes which turned into fast break freebies are uncontiounable (sp?).

Not sure who to blame here. Tubby? Officials? Crowd? all fo the above?

And if I see Iverson on offense NOT cut to the basket when his man leaves to doubleteam on teh perimeter I am gonna lose it.

FINALLY - what do we run on under the basket out of bound plays? Four player 'posting up' their person & lobbing the ball in.....

DISGUSTINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Maybe we need to bring Monson's assistant Bill Walker back. The guy in charge of "out of bounds plays and special defenses"!

The big difference is that Illinois was at least a great team. We just got beat 14-1 in 4:15 by a Spartan team that looks like they would have trouble scoring that many against Augsburg in that time frame. Pitiful.

Yup...

Pitiful...

Grrr...

Go Gophers!

This was a choke of epic proportions, no doubt about it. No question it was reminiscent of Illinois 2002. Similar season and squad, too. A squad good enough to win games but doesn't know how to finish.

Right now I just want to see us win another game. I hate that's it's come to that, but just win another freaking game. ... preferably Saturday vs. Michigan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jike Spingleton
191 days until football.

But, but, we spent all football season counting days til basketball season...this can't work.

Kinda like an endless loop....:eek:

Sounds like Souhan wrote this thread. A lot the things he said a week or two ago.:(

HOME TEAM: Minnesota 17-10, 6-9
NO. PLAYER FG-A 3FG FT-A OF DE REB PF PTS A TO BK ST MIN
50 Sampson III, Ralph f 5-9 0-0 0-0 3 4 7 2 10 3 2 3 0 33
32 Mbakwe, Trevor f 4-12 0-0 5-8 1 9 10 3 13 1 3 1 1 36
45 Iverson, Colton c 0-2 0-0 0-0 2 1 3 3 0 2 3 0 2 21
33 Williams, Rodney f 1-3 0-1 0-0 0 2 2 1 2 0 1 1 0 11
24 Hoffarber, Blake g 1-8 1-3 2-2 0 4 4 3 5 6 1 0 2 35
20 Hollins, Austin 3-7 0-1 0-1 0 2 2 2 6 1 1 0 2 26
13 Ahanmisi, Maverick 0-1 0-0 0-0 0 2 2 0 0 0 2 0 0 14
04 Dawson, Dominique 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 3
23 Armelin, Chip 4-6 2-3 2-4 1 1 2 0 12 0 2 0 2 21
Team 0-0 0-0 1 1 2 0 0
Total 18-48 3-8 9-15 8 26 34 15 48 13 15 5 9 200

Rodney 1-3(fg) 0-0(ft) 2(rebs) 2(pts) 0(asst) 11(min)
Did Rodney even play the second half?

Complete Tubby failure in the last 5 minutes.

Have to agree. The buck stops with Tubby on this one. ( again )

Regardless, I'm not going to hate these guys for what they aren't and I'm not suggesting you are PJS. This just isn't a very good team so my choices are either to be pissed off about it or embrace it for what it is and if that's a trip to the NIT, so be it.

Did Rodney even play the second half?

Apparently his knee was slightly injured earlier in the week. It was bothering him according to Tubby.

No excuse for this loss. It is on the coaches. I am sick of the pg excuses. If you want to keep players on the team, you keep your key players happy with their roles. Injuries can't be helped, but to have the guards playing that we currently have is a disgrace. Even without guards, the game last night should have been won. Tubby started using clock with 4 minutes left when we have nobody that can go one on one and shoot off the dribble is nuts. No wonder we did not score a field goal the last 4 mins plus.

reserve

Have to agree. The buck stops with Tubby on this one. ( again )

Regardless, I'm not going to hate these guys for what they aren't and I'm not suggesting you are PJS. This just isn't a very good team so my choices are either to be pissed off about it or embrace it for what it is and if that's a trip to the NIT, so be it.

+1

Top Bottom