Tubby is as good as gone...who you got?

Sid Hartman

Banned
Reaction score
I will take Tim Miles from Colorado State...will come cheap (Maturi likes cheap)

Hate to say it, but I agree. It'll probably be sort of mutual with him taking whatever job comes along. Bad luck, uninspired teams and/or coaching, no practice facility, whatever reason you wanna put on it, it's just not looking like it's gonna work out here.

People who want Tubby gone are f'ing fools. You really think Tim Miles is an upgrade? He just lost to UNLV at home in the biggest game CSU has had in years. This team will be fine next year. Right now, we just don't have the depth to deal with the injuries that we have had.

I want no part of Tim Miles, and I want no part of Tubby leaving (He's NOT getting fired) while Maturi is still the A.D.

People who want Tubby gone are f'ing fools. You really think Tim Miles is an upgrade? He just lost to UNLV at home in the biggest game CSU has had in years. This team will be fine next year. Right now, we just don't have the depth to deal with the injuries that we have had.

You just dont want to have to change your name. Tubby can go I wont care one bit. End these stupid rumors every chance a job opens up.

He is too set with his ways. Hoff cannot run a big ten offense, yet we see no changes. We start the game with a shooting guard and four forwards, score 3 points in around five minutes, and yet we see no changes. We see a couple freshmen run the point decently, get the team on a run, yet nothing changes still.

We have one win in the last seven. What is Tubby waiting for, his short term memory to return?

I personally don't want him gone, it just seems like the frustration could be building up on all sides.

We fire future hall of fame coach Tubby Smith for having an off year (still prob win 20 games) with injuries and key defections and we will not get another quality basketball coach or top recruit to come here for 20 years...

You just dont want to have to change your name. Tubby can go I wont care one bit. End these stupid rumors every chance a job opens up.

Not it at all. Why in the world would I want some one who has brought this program back from the dead to go? Tubby not only wins, but he represents this program with class and honor. This season has been disappointing as hell, but injuries happen.

Hate to say it, but I agree. It'll probably be sort of mutual with him taking whatever job comes along. Bad luck, uninspired teams and/or coaching, no practice facility, whatever reason you wanna put on it, it's just not looking like it's gonna work out here.

Um, wut? The reason it's not "gonna work out here" is because we have a team full of Tubby-recruited, Tubby-coached players who cannot play the game of basketball.

This team will be fine when (fill in the blank with this game's/week's/month's/year's excuse.) Right now, we just need (fill in the bland with this game's/week's/month's/year's explanation as to why it's not Tubby's fault) .

Copy, paste, and edit as needed.

He is too stubbron. Mav was doing great. He was making plays and running the offense. There was no reason to sit him. Also, you may have noticed:

Iverson: still sucks (NO improvement from freshman year)
Sampson: sucks (But can shoot now)
Rodney: I dont need to say anything

The only recruits of his that could seriously contribute are gone.

We fire future hall of fame coach Tubby Smith for having an off year (still prob win 20 games) with injuries and key defections and we will not get another quality basketball coach or top recruit to come here for 20 years...

I agree with what you are saying firing Tubby is absurd, but I question how many top recruits watch these games when we score 48 points and get excited to play for Tubby.

I do not want Tubby to leave, but he has been messing up since Nolen has been out. His starting lineup has been just awful on the offensive side of the court. Some of Colt/Rodneys minutes need to be allocated towards the freshmen. Tubbys defensive minded gameplan will not work when we already have a lack of scorers.

I don't want him gone. He has brought us back to at least respectable. We do need to take that next step though. Notice what happened when Rodney sat for awhile? Looked decent there for a stretch.

People who want Tubby gone are f'ing fools.

Come back and make that same statement 3 or 4 years from now when the Gophers are still struggling to finish 6th in the conference under Tubby and one-and-done in the tournament at best. I think Tubby is washed up. The mediocre recruiting that made him bolt from Kentucky is the same thing we are seeing now. His system may work great with the right players....but if we don't have the players, isn't that Tubby's screw up?

I think Tubby's days of having elite teams are long, long gone. I sure hope I'm wrong but... :(

The biggest problem with/if Tubby leaving would be Maturi and Mona doing the hiring for his replacement.

I wouldn't mind the powers that be considering Tim Miles, but he had better not be the only name on the list.

Flip is not gonna take a 2-3 Million dollar paycut to come rescue the Gophers.

The good thing with Tubby is you know what you are gonna get, I am starting to think the bad thing with Tubby is you know what you are gonna get.

Ill give Tubby one more year, because of the changing of the AD. But seriously, if we don't finish over 500 in the big10 next year, he needs to be seriously evaluated. He wont get his practice facility with a team playing this crapily.

Not it at all. Why in the world would I want some one who has brought this program back from the dead to go? Tubby not only wins, but he represents this program with class and honor. This season has been disappointing as hell, but injuries happen.

From the dead?? Its still about as dead as the Monson years but worse than the pre-Monson years. Tubby's not as huge an upgrade over Monson as many think. Keep in mind Monson took over under sanctions and got a winning BigTen team in year 3. Tubby, in 4 seasons, has not produced a team with a winning Big Ten regular season. Tubby hasn't fared as well as Dutcher, Musselman or Clem. I was once a big Tubby fan, but now see why he was run out of town in Kentucky. Tubby is replaceable.

Well, I am ambivalent as to whether Tubby stays, but I really want Maturi to go pronto. He can't keep making hires like Brewster and mucking things up like he's done with the basketball team.

Ben Jacobson from Northern Iowa would be one to consider...Tubby's not going anywhere though.

BTW, was Iverson Tubbys recruit?

Ben Jacobson from Northern Iowa would be one to consider...Tubby's not going anywhere though.

BTW, was Iverson Tubbys recruit?
-----Yes he is

good call on Ben Jacobson

But I don't think Tubby is going anywhere unless he wants to and unless someone offers him 2 mil per year-- is that really gonna happen after his last 2 years here?

The Tubby backers are right: he ain't going to get fired. Nor should he at this point. There have been some bad bounces the past two years. At some point that lays at Tubby's feet, but it's not yet to the point where there would be close to enough justification to fire him. If just one of Royce White, Devoe Joseph, Mbakwe, Nolen's injury goes the other way we aren't even having this discussion. Heck, as someone pointed out we still could win 20 games THIS YEAR.

Now for the unfortunate flip side: we live in the real world. The fact that all the bounces have been bad the past two years start to pile up. Tubby's frustrated, the players are clearly frustrated, the fans are frustrated, the media's frustrated, and the athletic department is probably frustrated.

Couple that with the fact that Tubby always seems to be in the mix for open positions, the un-likelihood of a practice facility anytime soon and I stand by the 'it just might not work out' line where he may take a lateral move (not necessarily a 'better' job, but a 'new' one).

OP Statement and Question: Tubby is as good as gone...who you got?

What a crock of $hit.

OP Statement and Question: Tubby is as good as gone...who you got?

What a crock of $hit.

People keep forgetting to put into account that the B1G is better than it was ever under Monson. You have 9 high quality coaches and a higher overall quality of talent.

He's not getting fired, nor should he be. And there's probably a 75% chance he's not leaving on his own, nor should we want him to. But if he really thinks NC State is better and wants to bolt, I'm not going to get all broken up about it either.

From the dead?? Its still about as dead as the Monson years but worse than the pre-Monson years. Tubby's not as huge an upgrade over Monson as many think.

Wow. How quickly we forget. If you really believe this, you may need to go and have your head examined. 'About as dead as the Monson years'? At full strength, Tubby's teams the last 2 years have the talent and capacity to beat anyone in the country. Monson's teams never had that ability. That alone indicates major upgrade to me. Now the struggles faced this year are supposed to be overcome by a coach alone? The buck stops with Tubby, but there are extenuating circumstances. Monson also took 6 years to finally make a tourney appearance, compared to Tubby's two. He hit 20 wins just once his tenure, Tubby's done in all of his first 3 seasons, with tougher schedules.

And to say Tubby hasn't fared as well as Dutcher, Musselman, or Clem is ridiculous. I'd say in terms of keeping the program clean, he's already surpassed their 'successes', as every one of those coaches was mired in some kind of scandal. Not even an apples to apples comparison.

I will take Tim Miles from Colorado State...will come cheap (Maturi likes cheap)

Good times good times...lol. I got Flip Saunders who has openly admitted he would instantly be interested in this job as he is tiring of the professional game.

From the dead?? Its still about as dead as the Monson years but worse than the pre-Monson years. Tubby's not as huge an upgrade over Monson as many think. Keep in mind Monson took over under sanctions and got a winning BigTen team in year 3. Tubby, in 4 seasons, has not produced a team with a winning Big Ten regular season. Tubby hasn't fared as well as Dutcher, Musselman or Clem. I was once a big Tubby fan, but now see why he was run out of town in Kentucky. Tubby is replaceable.

Did you actually watch the Gophers during the Monson years? DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN WE HAD 9 WINS ONE YEAR. We won 3 games in the Big 10 that year. How can you say that Monson is comparable to Tubby? Its not like Tubby inherited huge amounts of talent from Monson, because he didn't.

Top Bottom