This might be a new low for offensive basketball

gopherbadgerman

Reaction score
Really, this looks like the 1940's...

Glad MN is winning and would take a 35-30 win any day, but my god what an unexciting product. Can't even rip on Wisconsin's offense after watching this...

Coming from a badgerfan? Lol. Go back to the shadow!

Gus

Even Gus used the word UGLY.

We are leading at the half though so it looks good to me.

:)

Even Gus used the word UGLY.

We are leading at the half though so it looks good to me.

:)

Not surprisingly, MSU hitting 3's again, while we are not. God forbid MSU takes more than a 2-possession lead at any point in this game, or it's over.

When is Tubby going to start implementing a D that guards against the 3-point shot? (!!) It's 2011, not 1970.

I don't want to hear about a lack of point guard. Chip and Mav were doing great in the 1st half by driving into the lane. I think there was 1 possession where they picked up 3 fouls. You take them out of the game and its just a bunch of standing around. Colt, Ralph and Trevor hang out by the 3-pt line too damn much. When you get the ball, look to score, their first instinct seems to be to stand and hold it for awhile. And for once, I would like to see them run a legit inbound play. Keep Rodney out of the game until he learns to play offense.

Our defense is not close to being our problem. Get a clue.

Yeah, if you cannot win with offense, then you must play better defense to win with defense. We're 1-5 the last 6 games with "defense is not close to being our problem." OK, genius, so solve our problem.

BTW, just last game, we scored 63 points. With great defense, that should be plenty to win. Penn State beat us last Thursday by doing what, again?:
(a) working the ball inside for easy dunks
(b) driving the basketball for easy layups
(c) pull-up 2-point jumpers
(d) outstanding defense, getting an abnormal amount of steals
(e) shooting 3-pointers

Choose only one. Get a clue.

I don't want to hear about a lack of point guard. Chip and Mav were doing great in the 1st half by driving into the lane. I think there was 1 possession where they picked up 3 fouls. You take them out of the game and its just a bunch of standing around. Colt, Ralph and Trevor hang out by the 3-pt line too damn much. When you get the ball, look to score, their first instinct seems to be to stand and hold it for awhile. And for once, I would like to see them run a legit inbound play. Keep Rodney out of the game until he learns to play offense.

Right now with Rodney on the floor we're playing 4 vs. 5 on the offensive end. He's doing nothing - no movement, no driving, no shooting, no passing.

Chip Armelin is an exciting player. He looks like he could be the next Townsend Orr, who is one of my all-time favorites.

Yeah, if you cannot win with offense, then you must play better defense to win with defense. We're 1-5 the last 6 games with "defense is not close to being our problem." OK, genius, so solve our problem.

BTW, just last game, we scored 63 points. With great defense, that should be plenty to win. Penn State beat us last Thursday by doing what, again?:
(e) shooting 3-pointers

Get a clue.
Your points a,b, and c combined to generate 10 total baskets for Penn state in the last game. Penn state shot 38% from 3.... Again defense is/was not the problem.

I agree that defense is not the problem.

<40% FG, 60% FT, only 2 made 3-pointers and 12 turnovers

We could have a 10-point lead if those numbers weren't so terrible.

If it wasn't for Chip and Mav (the two horrible guards that aren't any where near good enough to play PG) we'd be down by 10.

I agree that defense is not the problem.

<40% FG, 60% FT, only 2 made 3-pointers and 12 turnovers

We could have a 10-point lead if those numbers weren't so terrible.

If it wasn't for Chip and Mav (the two horrible guards that aren't any where near good enough to play PG) we'd be down by 10.

Defense is not the main problem. But it isn't winning us any games, and teams have beat us many games this year (and the past 3 years) using the 3-ball.

Chip needs to be starting over Rodney and playing many minutes. He's a spark plug every time he's in there. Rodney needs to get confidence, but throwing him out there in unproductive minutes isn't going to get it for him.

Finally, under Tubby Smith, the Gophers always have seemed to have their best offensive games when they use a full court zone press on defense. This year, Tubby has rarely used it. However, with long, quick guys like Rodney, Austin, Trevor, and Chip on the floor, I don't understand why Tubby doesn't use it more. On defense, I'd oersonally like to see us use a 1-3-1 more often than a 2-3. Our personnel seem better suited for it.

Tie game MSU. Game over.

Edit: like I said, game over. BTW, up 7 points with 4 minutes to go, the defense gave up 20% of MSU's points in the final four minutes, including a huge 3 to Summers when previously up 4. The offense is hugely problematic, but it's not the only problem.

Finally edit: Puke, yet another blown game. Opposing team hits almost every shot at end of game, we hit none. Predictable. Awful. NIT-bound.

Our zone D gives up enough easy baskets, a full court zone is only going to give them more easy layups. And i think it would be quite easy to break a press put on by the current players.

To your point, our defense may not be winning any games, but our offense has lost plenty this year (and in the process of blowing this one).

(e) shooting 3-pointers

Choose only one. Get a clue.

What is this, 1950? 88% of NCAA teams average 63 points or more per game.

Ralph needs to quit playing basketball. He looks so disinterested. He watches balls go by him, lobs balls around. Slaps at balls instead of getting the rebound.

I have trouble believing someone could watch this team and not think offense is problem 1, 2, 3, and 4, at the very least. Sheesh.

I think Tubby will inform us in the post-game interview that problem #1 is the lack of a practice facility.

I think Tubby will inform us in the post-game interview that problem #1 is the lack of a practice facility.

and the 2nd problem being the players are just not physically strong enough because they have to walk outside to lift weights.

My money is on lack of practice facility also... cause you can't blame Blake nor Rodney tonight. You can blame Ralph but then again he won't because of his friendship with Ralph's dad.

I have trouble believing someone could watch this team and not think offense is problem 1, 2, 3, and 4, at the very least. Sheesh.

Of course you are right, offense is the problem, or lack of.

Tubby spends the majority of his time coaching defense.
Listen to how many times he mentions the word "defense" in his interviews
or radio shows.
As we know successful teams have a good balance of both offense and defense.

He is so focused on defense that the offense develops very little.
It gets him through most of the early year cupcake games but as proven
by his Big Ten record since taking over the Gophers, the lack of a true
offense catches up with him.

Of course you are right, offense is the problem, or lack of.

Tubby spends the majority of his time coaching defense.
Listen to how many times he mentions the word "defense" in his interviews
or radio shows.
As we know successful teams have a good balance of both offense and defense.

He is so focused on defense that the offense develops very little.
It gets him through most of the early year cupcake games but as proven
by his Big Ten record since taking over the Gophers, the lack of a true
offense catches up with him.

Yet I'm still curious why any of you think that the Gophers play good defense. Where is the evidence for that? The Gophers' D seems about average at best.

Any team that shoots well from the outside can light up this defensive scheme.

I disagree that this wasn't a good offensive game... I found it very "offensive".

One more knee-jerk expression of disgust, then I'm off to bed. The offense was disorganized, and Hoff seems to disappear after he makes the initial pass. There is no system to free him up to use that great shot of his. Rodney doesn't seem interested in creating much. Hollins plays like a freshman, and could have really helped with that look from the corner in the last minute. Mbakwe wants the ball, and really is good in the paint, but I felt he was under-utilized down the stretch-he seemed like the only guy who really wanted to create offense. He also deserves a lot of credit for his improvement from the line. But really, somebody show some leadership and create some offense. Somebody, take that good look and drain it!

Ugh...

Go Gophers!

Top Bottom