MN Daily: Tubby Smith upset with vulgar chants

first the students pat themselves on the back on here over and over, then they get owned by 150 louder and more orchestrated fans from illinois and now tubby criticizes them for their language. tough year for the team, tough year for the coaches and tough year for the fans. we're all mediocre this year.

He did the same thing last year for the chants against the Badgers. Does anyone really care?

Well, he's pretty much right, the language does nothing to intimidate any more than general stuff does. It's volume that intimidates, not telling a player or coach "F you!" Don't think it'll change much though lol.

What is Tubby supposed to say...Keep the profanity coming?! I have no problems with this. Ask any coach in the country if they like profanity coming from the student section and they will say no. They have to.

"I promise to bring our A-game to the remaining three games at the Barn, and I know you’ll bring you’re A-game too!"

DP - you'd better walk on down to Tubby's office and give him a quick grammar lesson.

He was made to say this. We got some sort of warning from the Big 10.

The $%^& Bo Ryan chant last year is the only time I've ever clearly heard a chant at the Barn on TV other than 'Let's go Gophers' in the last two years. That's kind of sad.

DP - you'd better walk on down to Tubby's office and give him a quick grammar lesson.

"I am incredibly appreciative of your e-mail, Orlando, but I must express my disappointment at the misusage of homophones directed at the Gopher basketball fanbase."

"I am incredibly appreciative of your e-mail, Orlando, but I must express my disappointment at the misusage of homophones directed at the Gopher basketball fanbase."

High IQ humor! I like it, even if I had to google homophone to get the joke!

I'm going to be honest with you guys, I'm pretty sure Sullinger went around 1/5 from the ft line when the you're a p**** chants started. Not encouraging it - but just saying. In a close game who knows what those free throws could mean. That being said, I really want to encourage the Barnyard leaders to make a free throw strategy. It's really embarrassing as a student section to not have a trick up our sleeves for free throws. I mean come on! NU has one!

Gotta admit that I was a bit shocked when I began to read some time ago of the foul language of some fans. Luckily, I suppose, I haven't heard this kind of language at other big-time conferences/programs. Is this vulgarity a Big Ten "thing"?

Good move Tubby.

Not that I never let one slip out, especially on the golf course, but the vulgarity from the crowd's gotta' go. Gotta' be more creative than that. As my parents taught me, "A foul mouth = a weak mind." I've found that to be mostly true.

As usual, we are supposed to model ourselves as the polite, moral young lady while the rest of the country is vile and disgusting.

And then we wonder why we're mediocre and soft. It's the culture within our athletic dept. I bet Tubby was directed to write that by Maturi. I'm sure anything we've said pales in comparison to Kentucky.

That sounds like the end result of a memo from Maturi.

File this one in the T cabinet, under "Trash."

As usual, we are supposed to model ourselves as the polite, moral young lady while the rest of the country is vile and disgusting.

And then we wonder why we're mediocre and soft. It's the culture within our athletic dept. I bet Tubby was directed to write that by Maturi. I'm sure anything we've said pales in comparison to Kentucky.

I have been to some of the rowdiest CBB arenas in the nation in multiple conferences against their biggest rival in many cases, and never have I heard a student fan base as organized, loud, passionate, CREATIVE, intense and impactful as KU's. Whether they are playing Texas in a Big Monday showdown or Washburn College (a D3 exhibition game) the fan base is nuts. And only one time in four years of going to every home game did I hear the students become over the top with vulgarities and that was Norm Stewart's last visit to Lawrence as the students chanted "FU#K YOU NORM" and at the first time out, Roy marched right over to the student section (right past Norm and the Missouri team) and yelled at the students for using that language to an opposing team/HC.

Go Gophers!!

And I'm disappointed with being on the bubble every year when we pay our coach tons of cash. We all have our disappointments. I still support Tubby, but frustration and disappointment is a two way street.

Good move Tubby.

Not that I never let one slip out, especially on the golf course, but the vulgarity from the crowd's gotta' go. Gotta' be more creative than that. As my parents taught me, "A foul mouth = a weak mind." I've found that to be mostly true.

I agree that it reflects poorly on us. Besides trashiness, it shows the lack of creativity and good ideas. It's easy to just swear. Maybe it goes along with the whole dumbing down / grade inflation thing. The students were laugh-out-loud clever with chants when I was in school.

Good move Tubby.

SS, what I have discovered in the last thirty years was that if we took the "F" word out of the English language, most kids of today would be mutes.

Good doctor, I've learned the same thing. The F-bomb, "like" and "whatever" seem to be the words of choice for today's college-age crowd. Not impressed with anyone who uses those words 5 or 6 times in the same sentence, but if you're on a college campus you'll hear 'em more than any others. I've trained my 16-year-old niece to never use "like" or "whatever" in my presence, and she's a bright girl so she doesn't have to be told to avoid the F-enheimer

Good doctor, I've learned the same thing. The F-bomb, "like" and "whatever" seem to be the words of choice for today's college-age crowd. Not impressed with anyone who uses those words 5 or 6 times in the same sentence, but if you're on a college campus you'll hear those words more than any others.

Holy *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#, SS, are you like trying to like tell me that like you see the like same things I like see?????
Like, whatever!

Sunday

Good move Tubby.

I admit to having a very weak mind on the golf course!

:(

I would like to tell you a story.

I have five children. One, two, three, four, five. Five... Five children. I live in Minnesota with my wife, Camille, and my five children. Now, of the five children that we have, there are four girls and a boy. The boy's name is Ennis. He loves everything the Gophers do. Comes home from school the other day with a big smile on his face. And my son looks just like me. He walks through the door, looking at me with this big smile, and I cannot resist, because it's such a beautiful smile. And he walks up and I say, 'What are you smiling about?' And the child says to me: 'I'm smiling because I need money to go see the Minnesota Gophers. Please give me money for a ticket.'

Now, if the child is smiling this way because he needs money for a ticket, I have to give him money for a ticket. I do not handle the money in the house. My wife, Camille, handles the ticket money. So I must go into the kitchen, to where my wife is cooking dinner for the family. And she is inside the kitchen cooking. And she's got a bowl. And she's cooking up the food, man. She's cooking it up. And the child walks in the room with the smile and he says, 'Mother, please, money.' She gives him the money, he runs off to see your team.

Now.....we sit in the living room waiting for Ennis to return. At about 2:00 in the morning, the child comes through the door. He has a different look on his face. A look like he heard something at the game that he's never heard before. And I say to my child, I say, 'Child... ' I say, 'What did you hear at the game? ' And he says, 'Pop, the student section says these things.' I say, 'Well, what did they say? ' 'Pop, they says some stuff.' "I say, 'What did they do? ' 'Pop, they stand up and go: "Hello, suck this, and MF and kiss my big black stuff. And suck it and stick it down in your mouth and suck it, suck it."'

You cannot say filth, flarn, filth, flarn, filth in front of people.

I would like to tell you a story.

I have five children. One, two, three, four, five. Five... Five children. I live in Minnesota with my wife, Camille, and my five children. Now, of the five children that we have, there are four girls and a boy. The boy's name is Ennis. He loves everything the Gophers do. Comes home from school the other day with a big smile on his face. And my son looks just like me. He walks through the door, looking at me with this big smile, and I cannot resist, because it's such a beautiful smile. And he walks up and I say, 'What are you smiling about?' And the child says to me: 'I'm smiling because I need money to go see the Minnesota Gophers. Please give me money for a ticket.'

Now, if the child is smiling this way because he needs money for a ticket, I have to give him money for a ticket. I do not handle the money in the house. My wife, Camille, handles the ticket money. So I must go into the kitchen, to where my wife is cooking dinner for the family. And she is inside the kitchen cooking. And she's got a bowl. And she's cooking up the food, man. She's cooking it up. And the child walks in the room with the smile and he says, 'Mother, please, money.' She gives him the money, he runs off to see your team.

Now.....we sit in the living room waiting for Ennis to return. At about 2:00 in the morning, the child comes through the door. He has a different look on his face. A look like he heard something at the game that he's never heard before. And I say to my child, I say, 'Child... ' I say, 'What did you hear at the game? ' And he says, 'Pop, the student section says these things.' I say, 'Well, what did they say? ' 'Pop, they says some stuff.' "I say, 'What did they do? ' 'Pop, they stand up and go: "Hello, suck this, and MF and kiss my big black stuff. And suck it and stick it down in your mouth and suck it, suck it."'

You cannot say filth, flarn, filth, flarn, filth in front of people.

Well played Mr. Murphy. The next time that MF'r calls, tell him I said suck my.....Tell him to have a coke and a smile and shut the F up...

Top Bottom