Column on Tubby: Legend's visit shows strength of 49ers; says we offered Welch

Bleed...I don't know how you find time to dig out all of these links you provide us, but a sincere THANK YOU to you for finding them and sharing them with us old farts who are lucky enough to get to them. Thanks again, buddy. Doc

Another Dr. thanking Bleed for finding all this great reading material.

"I'm not a doctor...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express". Thanks, Bleed for the great research and post.

I gotta say, being a 60 year old man and chasing after 20 year olds kids to play for your team must get awfully tiring at times.

I gotta say, being a 60 year old man and chasing after 20 year olds kids to play for your team must get awfully tiring at times.

it reads like the 49ers coach loves recruiting and selling the program- maybe Tubby should take a look at him too.

yea seriously. i honestly wonder what ron jirsa and vince taylor do for a living besides having the best seat in the house. its seems anytime anyone wants some real recruiting done, its tubby who pulls off the job

yea seriously. i honestly wonder what ron jirsa and vince taylor do for a living besides having the best seat in the house. its seems anytime anyone wants some real recruiting done, its tubby who pulls off the job

They also recruit on the road. But Tubby wants to see the recruits play, too.

Well. Its even more exhausting being a 65 year old man and chasing after 20 year old girls.
:party:

This kid sounds intriguing. I like the fact he's got some D-I experience, and with some productivity at a pretty decent level (Big West). A Freshman of the Year is a Freshman of the Year, in any conference. That's a pretty good indicator that he's got some game. We need an experienced PG (or two) for next season, that's for sure, someone that can play major minutes right away.

The fact that he previously attended Rouser's alma mater is an added bonus.;)

k but in every video on him, hes not even playing point, hes playing the 2/wing/offgaurd. how many assists does he average? how many turnovers?

They mention him as a combo guard, so I take that to mean he can handle the ball. Combo guard would be fine, too. We need shooters as well as someone that can run the show.

According to Ryan James on GI the Gophers have in fact offered Julian Welch

yea thats what the subject line of this post and the article say. seems like tubby liked what he saw.

yea thats what the subject line of this post and the article say. seems like tubby liked what he saw.

In the article it says "Rumor has it." Doesnt really sound like they are sure if he has an offer. Figured James' tweet could put end to that speculation whether he has an offer or not.

well we can probably say goodbye to daniels and nash and colvin if we have offered. no way this kid turns down our offer for kent st

Sounds like Welch is insurance in case we don't land Colvin, or maybe a way to apply some pressure to Colvin (?).

Tubby needs 4 players in this class. A Juco PG, prep PF, a prep PG & a prep wing/scorer. If we can land Colvin (My hope) then that covers the Juco PG, our top choice for he PF is the kid from Georgia who it seems we have a good chance with, Andre Hollins is the prep PG (but he will play at the 2 as well if we have a Juco PG since he's a scorer) & Coleman is the prep wing/scorer.

maverick ahanmisi 2.0, welcome to the gophers

You're an idiot. There's nothing wrong with Maverick, he just got thrown in before he was ready. The kid was never supposed to take the floor this year. He was supposed to red-shirt & be a contribute his Jr & Sr years. Remember Arriel McDonald or Eric Harris as Freshmen? Point being is players develop & there's no reason Mav can't develop too. Welch on the other hand was FOY at Cal Davis & now the leader on this Yuba team, so he should be able to have an immediate impact for us.

Sounds like Welch is insurance in case we don't land Colvin, or maybe a way to apply some pressure to Colvin (?).

Tubby needs 4 players in this class. A Juco PG, prep PF, a prep PG & a prep wing/scorer. If we can land Colvin (My hope) then that covers the Juco PG, our top choice for he PF is the kid from Georgia who it seems we have a good chance with, Andre Hollins is the prep PG (but he will play at the 2 as well if we have a Juco PG since he's a scorer) & Coleman is the prep wing/scorer.

Only way were getting 4 players is if Mbakwe enters the draft or if someone else transfers. Only 1 open scholarship right now.

maverick ahanmisi 2.0, welcome to the gophers
Mav has played better than I expected him to this season, but I don't know if he would have been freshman of the year in any D1 conferences. Maybe Welch would be better if we even get him.

point is, he is a sg who will be forced to play pg, isnt that our problem this year? we either need a true PG or might as well really go for a 5 star sg/sf since we have the chance. why grab another combo gaurd?

point is, he is a sg who will be forced to play pg, isnt that our problem this year? we either need a true PG or might as well really go for a 5 star sg/sf since we have the chance. why grab another combo gaurd?

I agree. We really need at least one true PG on the roster. Andre is not. Even Mav was a combo guard in HS I believe. If this kid can handle PG that's fine. But the current mess should make it clear having a pure PG is the best bet.

Exactly. I just want someone suitable for next year. I know a lot of others have already concluded that we'll be horrible next year and that we shouldn't waste a scholarship on someone who isn't a 4 * recruit. I think we'll be fine next year. The BT will be down.

This kid sounds intriguing. I like the fact he's got some D-I experience, and with some productivity at a pretty decent level (Big West). A Freshman of the Year is a Freshman of the Year, in any conference. That's a pretty good indicator that he's got some game. We need an experienced PG (or two) for next season, that's for sure, someone that can play major minutes right away.

The fact that he previously attended Rouser's alma mater is an added bonus.;)

I don't follow the recruiting scene closely & don't get hung up on how many stars a guy has, but after reading about this kid in no way did I have the same impression of him that I had when I first read about Maverick. This kid has proven himself at the D-I level. Much better likelihood that we're getting a known quantity and someone ready-made to contribute.

"I wish my team executed this well," Smith said.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the squad.

Clipped From Nor Calif JC Website

The best junior college talents in northern California?
Here's a stab at the top basketballers in northern California junior college play this season:

* Casey Arent, center

21.8 ppg., 11.3 rpg.

He can write his college future if he nails the grades.

* Julian Welch, guard

20.2 ppg.

Not a lot of three-pointers made but he creates and is always at the foul line

* Peter Pappageorge

20.4 ppg.

Some doubt his body and athletic ability in the D-1 ranks but Canada is 9-0 and nobody can stop him from scoring

* Collin Chiverton

19.1 ppg.

Just get it/keep it together personally and that will flow over on to the court -- he's a remarkable talent

* Jonathan Williams

14.5 ppg.

Strong and athletic, he'll be a solid and complementary guy at the next level

Top Bottom