Marcus- Rico Tucker had a 46" vertical

9194Gophs

Reaction score
I'm one of the few that really enjoyed watching Rico. Great defense, poor shot and would often drive into traffic get stuffed or heave up a prayer.

He was athletic, maybe 36" vert... Anyone else recall a nearly 4' vertical?

GophersNow PiPress Gophers Now
It would have been great to see Rodney Williams vs. Sam Jacobson in his prime in a dunk contest.
11 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

@
@hoff0172 Didn't know John Thomas was a dunk contest guy. Who won? Jacobson I assume.
11 hours ago

Based on comments and my guess, the MN all-time dunk contest participants so far are Graves, Tucker, Williams, Grier and Jacobson.
11 hours ago

Doesn't anyone think Sam Jacobson should be considered one of the top dunkers in program history.
11 hours ago

Tucker's vertical was also 46 inches if I remember correctly. Looks like Graves and Tucker might be the best leapers in MN history.
11 hours ago

@
@JeffHamiltonMn Too bad there wasn't any You Tube back then. I'd really like to see some old footage of Graves' dunking.
11 hours ago

@DownwithGoldy I like Rico Tucker's dunks in layup lines and midnight madness. But Vince Grier's game dunks were pretty freakish.
12 hours ago

@
@JeffHamiltonMn Graves was Willie Burton's teammate and played under Clem Haskins in the late 1980s, right. How tall was he?
12 hours ago

In theme of NBA dunk contest tonight, I'm wondering who fans think is the best Gopher dunker of all-time? Williams has to be on list obvsly.

I'm one of the few that really enjoyed watching Rico. Great defense, poor shot and would often drive into traffic get stuffed or heave up a prayer.

He was athletic, maybe 36" vert... Anyone else recall a nearly 4' vertical?

It would have been great to see Rodney Williams vs. Sam Jacobson in his prime in a dunk contest.
11 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

@
@hoff0172 Didn't know John Thomas was a dunk contest guy. Who won? Jacobson I assume.
11 hours ago

Based on comments and my guess, the MN all-time dunk contest participants so far are Graves, Tucker, Williams, Grier and Jacobson.
11 hours ago

Doesn't anyone think Sam Jacobson should be considered one of the top dunkers in program history.
11 hours ago

Tucker's vertical was also 46 inches if I remember correctly. Looks like Graves and Tucker might be the best leapers in MN history.
11 hours ago

@
@JeffHamiltonMn Too bad there wasn't any You Tube back then. I'd really like to see some old footage of Graves' dunking.
11 hours ago

@DownwithGoldy I like Rico Tucker's dunks in layup lines and midnight madness. But Vince Grier's game dunks were pretty freakish.
12 hours ago

@
@JeffHamiltonMn Graves was Willie Burton's teammate and played under Clem Haskins in the late 1980s, right. How tall was he?
12 hours ago

In theme of NBA dunk contest tonight, I'm wondering who fans think is the best Gopher dunker of all-time? Williams has to be on list obvsly.

There was a guy at Memphis 20 or 25 years ago (forget his name) who supposedly had 50" vertical leap.

Tom Thacker at Cincy in early 60's supposedly had 48" vertical leap.

Probably David Thompson at NC State in early 70's had number like those.

Tucker could not leap that high, no chance.

Sam, Vincent and Rodney would be my picks.

Guy from Memphis, I believe his name was Michael Wilson and I actually believe that one. He was with the Harlem Globetrotters and I did see him dunk on a 11'10'' hoop he didn't make the 12 foot hoop when I was there. He however did not have any other game except his leaping ability, but it was fun to watch. This is his Wikipedia page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Wilson_(basketball)

Game dunks...loved Greier and Sam J. had one spetacular dunk while running the wing in a game during his Fr year where he lept from outside of the lane and landed on the other side of the lane and dunked as he flew by the hoop...it was awesome.

That said, RW's in game dunks are simply spectacular. I love the way he just keeps rising when he can step into the jump...it is a work of art...imo.

I think it's gotta be Rodney hands down. Jacobson could rise, but he didn't have nearly as many spectacular in-game dunks. Grier's were powerful and often of the facial variety, but he rarely did anything creative--just went hard and force people out of his way, which was awesome. All three were fun to watch.

I don't remember Rico having many dunks. He usually dribbled the ball off his leg before he got to the hole. But I do remember one awesome alley-oop two-handed jam that was incredible for a 6footer.

There was a guy at Memphis 20 or 25 years ago (forget his name) who supposedly had 50" vertical leap.

Tom Thacker at Cincy in early 60's supposedly had 48" vertical leap.

Probably David Thompson at NC State in early 70's had number like those.

Who was the college player from Memphis? Cincinnati? whose nickname was 'Helicopter?'
From about 10 or so years ago?

He had some hops.

David Thompson, whom you've mentioned, could put a silver dollar on top of the backboard.
He could then jump up, take the coin off the top of the backboard, and put it in his pocket before he landed:eek:

Didn't he get pushed down the steps of Studio 54 in Manhattan and blow out his knee...back before knee reconstructive surgery could bring you back to 100%?

Melvin Levitt was "the helicopter".

Couldn't shoot that high of percentage but had a ton of bounce and he shot well enough to hit the big shot against the Gophers in Williams to win that December of 98 game in OT. It was on national TV and had guys like Randy Moss, Chris Carter, and Brad Johnson in the crowd.

Rodney seems to get to those heights with so much ease. It almost looks effortless.

Sorry guys....I think you have been sucked in on this jumping myth. First, vertical jumps are measured standing from two feet, not running off of one foot. Secondly, not even the great David Thompson in his prime is putting change or taking it off a backboard. A lot might be saying they did it or can do it, but there is not any documentation that anyone has actually done it.

Here is an article you might want to read...

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/4307/james-white-vs-a-jumping-myth

Who was the college player from Memphis? Cincinnati? whose nickname was 'Helicopter?'
From about 10 or so years ago?

There was also a playground legend who had the name "Helicopter." I would guess I read about him in Rick Telander's book Heaven is a Playground. It's probably 20 years since I read the book, and it's one of the best sports books I've ever read.

Yeh the Helicopter's first name was Herman. Playground legend at Ruckers NYC. Along with the Hawk, aka Connie, and I'm sure many others. We need to not forget the Big Fella who jumped over the Harley. Huge hops period, big guy or not. So it comes down to personal taste. Griffin jumping over a KIA nothing big IMO compared to our guys here.

Top Bottom