Tubby: Don't use the 3 bigs against MSU

Reaction score
The lack of quickness in the zone and MSU athletes and shooters will kill us. MSU is hanging on ny a thread to get in the tourney. Izo will have them playing at their best. I would sit Ralph and start Hollins. This gives us our best matchups. He can run the bigs against Michigan and Northwestern and probably get away with it. The return against PSU I would alternate Hollins and Chip against Battle. Make the other PSU players beat you. Another thing Tubby could do is not have Hoff bring the ball up court so much. Give him as much rest as you can. If the team isn't pressing with the 3 bigs in let Rodney bring the ball accross the timeline. With either Hollins or Chip in let them bring it up ( sorry Mav, you scare me with your ball handling ) Finally, you couldn't have an easier schedule in the final games to get to the NCAA. I will be extremely perplexed if we falter.

The lack of quickness in the zone and MSU athletes and shooters will kill us. MSU is hanging on ny a thread to get in the tourney. Izo will have them playing at their best. I would sit Ralph and start Hollins. This gives us our best matchups. He can run the bigs against Michigan and Northwestern and probably get away with it. The return against PSU I would alternate Hollins and Chip against Battle. Make the other PSU players beat you. Another thing Tubby could do is not have Hoff bring the ball up court so much. Give him as much rest as you can. If the team isn't pressing with the 3 bigs in let Rodney bring the ball accross the timeline. With either Hollins or Chip in let them bring it up ( sorry Mav, you scare me with your ball handling ) Finally, you couldn't have an easier schedule in the final games to get to the NCAA. I will be extremely perplexed if we falter.

All great points and I agree with almost everyone of them. The only team that this lineup of these 3 big guys can beat is Iowa. It did beat NW and Michigan, however, I would prefer we didn't tempt those two teams again because they can easily drop in 15 3-pointers in a game.

They need to find ways to let Hoff move away from the ball. Last night, the majority of our runs came when Mav was running the point and Hoff was playing the 2. I am not as confident with Mav, but he can hold down the point for a few minutes each half to give Hoff some time away from the ball and a quick break. I definitely think there can be a few minutes a game where Chip/Hollins can bring the ball up the court. During these minutes, though, they better make sure and get up and down the court with some purpose - not into a half-court set.

One other thing, I would really like to start seeing the team use Rodney in the post. It doesn't have to be a set play, but with all the switching that everyone is doing against us, RW is bound to have a smaller player end up on him. At those points, there needs to be recognition and he needs to get to the block. If RW won't attack from the wing, he should be able to do it from the block with a smaller defender.

It must be in Tubbys contract

that he cant bench Ralph.

T Another thing Tubby could do is not have Hoff bring the ball up court so much. Give him as much rest as you can. If the team isn't pressing with the 3 bigs in let Rodney bring the ball accross the timeline. With either Hollins or Chip in let them bring it up ( sorry Mav, you scare me with your ball handling ) Finally, you couldn't have an easier schedule in the final games to get to the NCAA. I will be extremely perplexed if we falter.

Rodney can't even dribble the ball off by himself without losing control of it. Sadly, I'm not exaggerating.

I would be shocked if Ralph or rodney do not start every game the rest of the entire career.

I still don't understand the 3 bigs lineup and probably never will. We're just way too slow.

It is probably because Tubby does not have enough confidence in his young guards...

The flow on offense seems much better with Mav at PG. I really wish they would let him start or at least start Austin for defensive purposes.

The flow on offense seems much better with Mav at PG. I really wish they would let him start or at least start Austin for defensive purposes.

I completely agree. Blake is much better when he isn't getting pressured at the top every single possession, and Mav is much better when he gets a consistent run of minutes to build his confidence. If pressure becomes a problem, Blake is still on the floor and can help out but Mav should be able to handle it the majority of the time

Interesting on your lack of faith in Mav. On Tubby's show on BTN he's indicated a couple times that Mav is the best ball handler on the team. He's not the TO machines the bigs are.

Top Bottom