Can't complain about tonight

bga1

Reaction score
We are a better team then PSU and we'll beat them at the Barn. I thought we actually played pretty well tonight. I think Tubby has them working an offense that looks better. I think we can win the rest of our games if we play this way. Two issues to clean up: 1. We need to find soem way to create turnovers. PSU had only 5 - almost no way you beat a team in their own house if they only turn it over 5 times. 2. Gotta find the shooter. Just gave Battle way, way too many open looks. Overall good job by Tubby getting this team to look like it has some form and purpose to it. Unhappy with the loss but I can live with it.

Clean sweep the Michigan pair at home as we should. 8-8

Now you have the Mildcats and PSU between us an NCAA bid. Not a bad set up considering.

beeg

Nice to see someone not experiencing a meltdown.

It was a lost opportunity but the lads have four to play and only one more road game.

:)

I respectfully disagree!

We needed this game badly, because we don't matchup well with MSU and will likely lose now that they are playing with more purpose.

Also, Michigan are playing much better than we are right now. The Gophers could get swept or split, but I don't think we can count on the sweep in our favor. We're too sloppy, and too charitable for opponents.

I respectfully disagree!

We needed this game badly, because we don't matchup well with MSU and will likely lose now that they are playing with more purpose.

Also, Michigan are playing much better than we are right now. The Gophers could get swept or split, but I don't think we can count on the sweep in our favor. We're too sloppy, and too charitable for opponents.

I don't know Moses- I fear MSU most of the rest of the teams- because of their coach. Otherwise out weakness is matching up to teams that shoot the three well. MSU is just so-so as an outside shooting team.

We are a better team then PSU and we'll beat them at the Barn. I thought we actually played pretty well tonight. I think Tubby has them working an offense that looks better. I think we can win the rest of our games if we play this way. Two issues to clean up: 1. We need to find soem way to create turnovers. PSU had only 5 - almost no way you beat a team in their own house if they only turn it over 5 times. 2. Gotta find the shooter. Just gave Battle way, way too many open looks. Overall good job by Tubby getting this team to look like it has some form and purpose to it. Unhappy with the loss but I can live with it.

Now you have the Mildcats and PSU between us an NCAA bid. Not a bad set up considering.

Offense has been better the last two games, but I'm not sure we're better than Penn State. Why? Because our zone defense is, to put it politely, not very good. Any team that has any idea about zone offense will shred it. We give up wide-open looks all the time and when we're not doing that, teams penetrate the gaps like cutting through butter.

Do I think we can win some of those games? Yeah. But I hesitate to say we're better than anybody (sans Iowa) right now.

I agree. This program is exactly where everyone wants it to be in Year 4 of the Tubby Regime - using the "Aw Shucks" mentality after losing another game they should've won.

Bad loss. No room for error left on the schedule. The Gophers got a ton of breaks tonight and still found a way to throw a very winnable game away.

I don't think that Northwestern or Michigan can beat us. They don't have the size or strength to play against us down low. We should be able to beat at least one of the two games between Michigan St. and Penn St. I didn't think that we were going to win this game, so it doesn't really change my opinion that we will sneak into the tournament.

I agree. This program is exactly where everyone wants it to be in Year 4 of the Tubby Regime - using the "Aw Shucks" mentality after losing another game they should've won.

I've been complaining plenty Art- just not quite at your consistent level. I don't like losses and I don't like where we are at. My complaints haven't been so much that we have lost but how we have lost. Tonight I thought we showed some things that will win perhaps the rest of the games this year if they play this way and clean up a few issues. For sure, ths is one we could have and should have had. But it looked better to me.

MSU will beat the Gophers by simply being MSU. Playing great defense, getting turnovers, fast break buckets and offensive rebounds, which they steal away from the weak and clumsy hands of Ralph, Rodney and Colton.

Michigan and NW COULD win by hitting 15 threes and if we struggle from the FT line again.

In theory, we could win all 4, but we could certainly lose all 4 as well. We don't have much room for error.

Like Penn State?

I fear Talor Battle as much as any shooter in the Big Ten. Our M.O. has been to not find the good shooters and that continued tonight. MSU doesn't have anybody at the level of battle for making key threes.

I fear Talor Battle as much as any shooter in the Big Ten. Our M.O. has been to not find the good shooters and that continued tonight. MSU doesn't have anybody at the level of battle for making key threes.

PSU came in shooting under 32% from 3.

"Clean sweep the Michigan pair at home as we should. 8-8"

how anyone could post this considering the current make up of the team is beyond me. complete denial and delusion.

I DVR games and then start them about an hour later to skip commercials. I hate to say this, but I can't take watching these losses anymore! Last month I wasn't able to watch a game until hours later and heard we had beat Purdue before I was able to watch it. At first I was mad that the ending was spoiled for me. But, the good thing was that I was able to calmly watch the game and enjoy it without the anxiety.

I've decided that for the next couple games I'm going to wait and find out the score, and if we win, I can watch the replay and enjoy it. I know this is an example of a pathetic fan, but I need to give my heart and blood pressure a break! At least for a couple of games.

Oh, I can definitely complain about last night's game, there's good material to do it with. But this game doesn't tell me anything about whether we can finish off strong or not. Obviously a win would have been really good, but losing this game doesn't tell me "Well, here we go to the NIT". A loss to Michigan at home would though. Beat Michigan, @ NU, and PSU at least to get to that 20 wins and I think we're good. We've beaten two of those teams already, and PSU we get at home after a tough loss. MSU is beatable, though it looks like they're starting to come around again, which sucks.

People can complain about where we are in Year 4 of Tubby, but I'll tell you what, I could have never imagined a Gopher squad that could lose as much as it has the last two years (plus it's top two PGs this year) and still have a reasonable shot at the NCAAs before Tubby came around. While it's not the "progress" we wanted, it's still a lot better than it has been over the years.

I DVR games and then start them about an hour later to skip commercials. I hate to say this, but I can't take watching these losses anymore! Last month I wasn't able to watch a game until hours later and heard we had beat Purdue before I was able to watch it. At first I was mad that the ending was spoiled for me. But, the good thing was that I was able to calmly watch the game and enjoy it without the anxiety.

I've decided that for the next couple games I'm going to wait and find out the score, and if we win, I can watch the replay and enjoy it. I know this is an example of a pathetic fan, but I need to give my heart and blood pressure a break! At least for a couple of games.

I DVR games when I can, too, and it's great. But the anxiety is what makes all of this so fun -- for better or worse. Last night ... worse.

My anxiety level is way down right now. This just isn't a very good team right now, and I can't get too worked up over it. Last year at this time we were looking ahead to this season with Nolen, Joseph and Carter. Even Cobbs would be helping right now. Walker was added later, then we lost him. You just can't lose that much -- or at least Minnesota can't -- and expect to stay at the same level. We can argue about how much of this is on Tubby and how much isn't. But the fact is that right now, the Gophers, MSU, Michigan and PSU -- and maybe Northwestern -- are all pretty much the same. We could win the next four or lose the next four. Neither would surprise me.

I can

I wish I could say this was a good effort, but it wasn't. I was looking forward to seeing whether the Gophers had turned the corner with effort and energy like they showed against Iowa. It just wasn't there last night. They didn't get out on shooters (obviously); they lost guys in transition; they looked slower than they really are. You could tell from Tubby's face that he's running out of buttons to push.

This game wasn't just winnable - it was won. Up by three and give up an offensive rebound and putback...with all the size on this roster...really? And when it matters most, give up a wide open jump shot to the opponent's best player...really?

Oh, I can definitely complain about last night's game, there's good material to do it with. But this game doesn't tell me anything about whether we can finish off strong or not. Obviously a win would have been really good, but losing this game doesn't tell me "Well, here we go to the NIT". A loss to Michigan at home would though. Beat Michigan, @ NU, and PSU at least to get to that 20 wins and I think we're good. We've beaten two of those teams already, and PSU we get at home after a tough loss. MSU is beatable, though it looks like they're starting to come around again, which sucks.

People can complain about where we are in Year 4 of Tubby, but I'll tell you what, I could have never imagined a Gopher squad that could lose as much as it has the last two years (plus it's top two PGs this year) and still have a reasonable shot at the NCAAs before Tubby came around. While it's not the "progress" we wanted, it's still a lot better than it has been over the years.

These are almost exactly my thoughts. To say that people are happy and "aw shucks" in year 4 is completely ignoring the adversity that this team has gone through in the last 2 years. And is a comment that I wish I wasn't even responding to.

Last night's game was a disappointment. That being said, Wisconsin, MSU, and Illinois have all lost at PSU this year. We were up by 3 w/ 2 minutes left and then took a terrible shot and had 2 TO's that cost us the game. It should have been a win (if we had a PG). We got beat by a team that is very similar to us right now and a player that went 7-14 on 3-pointers. This is basketball, and it happens.

I personally think that we need to start to show a little bit of life here in the next couple weeks, otherwise, I don't know if we will make the NCAA. Our overall body of work is pretty solid (last night's loss does not fall in the bad-loss category) and as it stands today, should be enough to get us in. However, w/out Nolan, we are a very different team and as much as I hate to say it, the committee probably needs to take that into consideration. If we take care of business at home (beat MSU, Michigan, and PSU), that will be enough to get us in.

I think the Gophers are playing 'quite well' for the remaining roster they have.

By losing Al and Devoe we have weakened 3 positions and the bench. We essentially have no guards.

Perimeter players:

1. PG-Blake is not a pg. He has done a very admirable job playing out of position but he doesn't have the skill set to play O or D as a true pg. I'll take Al, he was having his best year when he played this year and easily the best perimeter defender on the team/one of BT best. With Blake playing the point his 3pt shooting is reduced.

2. SG/SF/W-This is where Blake and Devoe would both be starting(IMO) and playing major miniutes. There is no one to play these 2 spots now that can shoot as well or handle the ball as well.

If Devoe and Al were both playing there would not be a debate of who was the better pg because they would both be starting and playing major miniutes.

As it is now we don't have a true pg and no other perimeter players that can shoot or even handle the ball that well. Defensively a lack of perimeter quickness-Ralph playing the three?

With just the loss of Devoe and Al our bench has also been weakened. I could also add PC and Big Mo to the loss of players. None of the 3 frosh have shown the can contribute major miniutes at this point.

Need to win 3 of the next 4.

Go Gophers

The energy level has certainly been inconsistent this year. It doesn't help having 6 players play the majority of the game though. Energy is definitely infectious and right now the only (good) player who seems to really bring it consistently is Mbawke. Guys like Nolen, Carter, and Johnson really rubbed off on the team with their effort. Hollins can be like that but he doesn't always seem locked in.

I wish I could say this was a good effort, but it wasn't. I was looking forward to seeing whether the Gophers had turned the corner with effort and energy like they showed against Iowa. It just wasn't there last night. They didn't get out on shooters (obviously); they lost guys in transition; they looked slower than they really are. You could tell from Tubby's face that he's running out of buttons to push.

This game wasn't just winnable - it was won. Up by three and give up an offensive rebound and putback...with all the size on this roster...really? And when it matters most, give up a wide open jump shot to the opponent's best player...really?

The energy level has certainly been inconsistent this year. It doesn't help having 6 players play the majority of the game though. Energy is definitely infectious and right now the only (good) player who seems to really bring it consistently is Mbawke. Guys like Nolen, Carter, and Johnson really rubbed off on the team with their effort. Hollins can be like that but he doesn't always seem locked in.

Armelin and Hoff are always givng 100% hustle. Hoff is just slow.

PSU came in shooting under 32% from 3.

Battle is very streaky and can be pretty bad one night and ridiculous the next. His percentage isn't very good overall but he can go off from outside on any given night. He had a night earlier this year in which he went 1-10, but also has nights like last night. Michigan St. doesn't have a guy who can light it up from 3-point land like Battle can. That's the point he was trying to make. Battle and PSU are a lot streaker than most teams from the outside.

Battle is very streaky and can be pretty bad one night and ridiculous the next. His percentage isn't very good overall but he can go off from outside on any given night. He had a night earlier this year in which he went 1-10, but also has nights like last night. Michigan St. doesn't have a guy who can light it up from 3-point land like Battle can. That's the point he was trying to make. Battle and PSU are a lot streaker than most teams from the outside.

Yeah, totally agreed. MSU has no 3 point shooters. Not Durrell Summers, not Kalin Lucas, nobody.

Look dude, the Gophers can make any team look good from 3 land. They don't need good shooters, they just need to drive and dish for a wide-open shot each and every time after our guards foolishly collapse off of the shooter.

+1
how could they leave Battle? :mad:
they need some Hoosier-style D:

Stick with your man. Think of him as chewing gum. By the end of the game, I want you to know what flavor he is.
:cheer:

For the most part, yes. Chip I wouldn't say that's always true on defense. Hoffarber pretty much but that's just not his style of play. By that I mean that his effort (defensively for example) isn't as noticeable as someone like Nolen or DJ where it rubs off. Nothing against him, it's just not the same.

Armelin and Hoff are always givng 100% hustle. Hoff is just slow.

Yeah, totally agreed. MSU has no 3 point shooters. Not Durrell Summers, not Kalin Lucas, nobody.

Look dude, the Gophers can make any team look good from 3 land. They don't need good shooters, they just need to drive and dish for a wide-open shot each and every time after our guards foolishly collapse off of the shooter.

As often as not, it's not foolishness - it's the ball line defense. Believe it or not, the players are coached to collapse on the post player and leave the shooter relatively open or - as we've seen too many times this year - hang out in no-man's land, not really guarding either player. Sorry to be negative, but it chaps my hide.

Top Bottom