Any Sleepers looming in Minnesota?

Moses87

Banned
Reaction score
I don't recall Leuer or Taylor being 5 star recruits coming out of HS. Were either of them offered by Minnesota?

With that in mind, I'm wondering if some of you closer to home(I'm in Miami), see any sleeper prospects among this year's senior class in Minnesota?

Are there any senior Point Guard's who could step in next year for Nolen?

Leuer and Taylor were not sleepers. Leuer was a 4 star Rivals 150 guy and Taylor was a 5.7 3 star Rivals 150 guy. Both were ranked nationally for their positions.

Jon Leuer was a 4 star on Rivals and Scout with a multitude of offers. Taylor was a high 3 on Rivals and Scout. They weren't exactly sleepers. And yes, both were offered by Minnesota.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of B10 level talent in this class. Minnesota has been producing a lot of D1 talent the last decade but we don't seem to have a lot of top tier division 1 talent. With that being said, I am a firm believer that you can win with Minnesota kids on a consistent basis.

the promblem with taylor and getting recruitment by the gophers is
1. Wisconsin was his first offer and he committed right away.
2. Nolen was already committed and it wouldnt make to much sense to take a PG in back to back classes for both Taylor and Gophers
3. nobody thought 4-5 years ago that he would develop to be this good, so why go after him that hard.

the promblem with taylor and getting recruitment by the gophers is
1. Wisconsin was his first offer and he committed right away.
2. Nolen was already committed and it wouldnt make to much sense to take a PG in back to back classes for both Taylor and Gophers
3. nobody thought 4-5 years ago that he would develop to be this good, so why go after him that hard.

Plus, he had a major stiffy for Dolly Madison well before he was even thought of as a high-major prospect. I don't think hiring anyone short of Jesus Christ himself would've convinced Jordan Taylor to sign with the Gophers.

Was Nolen regarded higher than Taylor when both were seniors?

I don't recall Leuer or Taylor being 5 star recruits coming out of HS. Were either of them offered by Minnesota?

With that in mind, I'm wondering if some of you closer to home(I'm in Miami), see any sleeper prospects among this year's senior class in Minnesota?

Are there any senior Point Guard's who could step in next year for Nolen?

I'm wondering why someone who is enough of a dickhead to hope that a Gopher player gets hurt keeps pretending he's a fan. You're a real piece of work.

Any decent seniors in the Minneapolis conference this year? Must be a decent PG who could match what Nolen has done.

Any decent seniors in the Minneapolis conference this year? Must be a decent PG who could match what Nolen has done.

Syani Chambers is the only decent MN PG coming, but I believe he is a 2012 and Gophers seem lukewarm on him right now.

Moses= Jackass

Please go back and read the quote again...For the record, I never wished any new injuries on him...only hoped his injury in the 2nd half of the IU game (which turned out to be a nick and nothing more) was serious enough that it would have meant more playing time and experience for Armelin, Hollins and Mav in a season that looks hopelessly lost to a dissapointing NIT season. I realize it was in bad taste, but I was steaming mad about that loss...Would you rather have fans who swallow losses like desert? His play was so abhorent that he should have been benched. Not only was his shooting as bad as ever, but he only had 1 rebound in 28 minutes in a game that that featured 80 missed shots.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of B10 level talent in this class. Minnesota has been producing a lot of D1 talent the last decade but we don't seem to have a lot of top tier division 1 talent. With that being said, I am a firm believer that you can win with Minnesota kids on a consistent basis.

You say Big10 talent like it's the holy grail of college athletics. Mn produced at least 4 players with Big10 talent in '11.

Joe Coleman - Gophers
Shelby Moats - Vanderbilt
Ross Travis - Penn State
Jake White - Wichita State (offers from Iowa etc)
Marvin Singleton - UNI (offers from others)
Jordan Smith (rumors of a NW offer)

That's pretty solid. 2010 wasn't a strong year. But 2012 looks very strong as well. What in the opinion of Khoffman33 is strong?

"Plus, he had a major stiffy for Dolly Madison well before he was even thought of as a high-major prospect. I don't think hiring anyone short of Jesus Christ himself would've convinced Jordan Taylor to sign with the Gophers."

That is actually very false, Jordan and his family we're huge Gopher fans.

Rivals shows that Taylor did not have a Gophers offer.

You say Big10 talent like it's the holy grail of college athletics. Mn produced at least 4 players with Big10 talent in '11.

Joe Coleman - Gophers
Ross Travis - Penn State

That's pretty solid. 2010 wasn't a strong year. But 2012 looks very strong as well. What in the opinion of Khoffman33 is strong?

Speaking of Jordan Smith...it looks like he will be heading to the Ivy League.

Joe Coleman - Gophers
Ross Travis - Penn State

Sorry, I should have said BCS or high level mid-major conference teams. I realize the B10 is not the holy grail of college athletics, unless we're talking wrestling. It was an example, and you proved my point by showing that our top recruits are not going to high level teams. Only one
(maybe 2) guys on your list is going to be going to a team that will be a top 25 team next season.

Johnny, I hope you know that I greatly respect your opinion, but how do you explain this article?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/luke_winn/02/12/badgers.buckeyes/index.html

Is Luke Winn just making it up?

Maybe he and his family were huge Gopher fans, but it was more important to them to play for a better team, which unfortunately at the time Wisconsin clearly was. If Tubby had gotten here a year earlier maybe Taylor would be playing for the Gophers.

Johnny, I hope you know that I greatly respect your opinion, but how do you explain this article?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/luke_winn/02/12/badgers.buckeyes/index.html

I read an article, that Jordan cried when MN lost in the final four (he would have been pretty young). So to say he wasn't a "Gophers fan" would be inaccurate.

Did he ever want to play at MN and Dan Monson? It doesn't appear he had any interest in that what so ever, and wanted badly to play for Bo Ryan at Wisconsin.

Sorry, I should have said BCS or high level mid-major conference teams. I realize the B10 is not the holy grail of college athletics, unless we're talking wrestling. It was an example, and you proved my point by showing that our top recruits are not going to high level teams. Only one
(maybe 2) guys on your list is going to be going to a team that will be a top 25 team next season.

Every one of those players listed is going to at least a high level mid major. Apparently, my making of your point was dubious. And just out of curiosity how many high level mid major conference (not even sure what that means) teams will be in your early 2011-2012 preseason rankings?

"Plus, he had a major stiffy for Dolly Madison well before he was even thought of as a high-major prospect. I don't think hiring anyone short of Jesus Christ himself would've convinced Jordan Taylor to sign with the Gophers."

That is actually very false, Jordan and his family we're huge Gopher fans.

Wait a second, are you telling me dpodoll might have been wrong about something???
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

They probably were all big gopher fans, just not Monson fans. It didn't really look like the program was going up during his recruitment. It's possible he wanted to play for the gophers but since the program was in crap shape he wanted to go somewhere that he knew would be good.

Wait a second, are you telling me dpodoll might have been wrong about something???

First of all, I'm often wrong, and will admit to it when it is so, unlike many others here.

Second, I don't believe that I am wrong here. Did you read the article? Also, "being a Gopher fan" and "wanting to play for the Gophers" are two very different things. I don't doubt that Seantrel Henderson (for example) was a Gopher fan, but there was no chance in hell that he was going to play here - just like Jordan Taylor.

Joe Coleman - Gophers over offers from Seton Hall, Iowa St, amongst others

Shelby Moats - Vanderbilt over Northwestern and Wash State in the end I think it was. He had a Minnesota offer at one point last summer and 20 plus offers overall.

Ross Travis - Penn State over his offer from Iowa and some others.

Jake White - Wichita State. Jake did not have an offer from Iowa, his other offers came from UTEP, Colorado State, and Navy. Also had an offer from Northern Iowa at one point.

Marvin Singleton - UNI over a couple other offers, the best of the others was Wofford.

Jordan Smith - there is no Northwestern offer. Sounds like either the IVY League or Carelton for Jordan.

The best of what is left in Minnesota is:

Zach Lofton and Roosevelt Scott although I haven't heard of offers that either have. Both are talented but not sure if Big Ten talented right now. Maybe down the line though.

Alex Richter who had some D1 offers although I'm not sure anything is there anymore unless something has come in recently.

Eric Robertson who has a handfull of offers like Florida Gulf Coast, the Citadel, Army, and a few others.

Marcus Alipate. He had some good offers from Wofford, South Dakota, and some others but didn't take them.

Marquel Curtis although I heard he may go juco.

T.J. Okafor who continues to get good interest from low and mid major America as well as most of the NSIC on him.

There are division one players left in Minnesota but I really don't see much high major talent there. Maybe after some prep or juco experience.

Top Bottom