Pregame Thoughts: at Penn State 2/17/11 and Other Notes

Reaction score
Pregame Thoughts: at Penn State 2/17/11

"The Penn State Nittany Lions (13-11, 6-7) start four seniors, but it appears this group of veterans will fall short of making the NCAA tournament. They still have an outside chance to dance, but with their remaining schedule (road games at Wisconsin, Northwestern and Minnesota and a home game against Ohio State) they need to beat the Minnesota Golden Gophers (17-8, 6-7) at the Bryce Jordan Center and then head directly to church for some serious praying. Tipoff is schedule for 6pm CT on Thursday, February 17, 2011 and will be broadcast on ESPN."

...and a couple of other notes.

On Twitter: J.B. Bauer

I would expect to hear from USAFChief on this.

"Snapshots from a CPA
Random numbers and/or miscellaneous data

Without Al Nolen in the lineup…

…the Gophers have held opponents to a lower three-point field goal shooting percentage than games in which Al has played.
…the Gophers average more assists per game.
…the Gophers average fewer turnovers per game.
…the Gophers average more steals per game".

Pregame Thoughts: at Penn State 2/17/11

"The Penn State Nittany Lions (13-11, 6-7) start four seniors, but it appears this group of veterans will fall short of making the NCAA tournament. They still have an outside chance to dance, but with their remaining schedule (road games at Wisconsin, Northwestern and Minnesota and a home game against Ohio State) they need to beat the Minnesota Golden Gophers (17-8, 6-7) at the Bryce Jordan Center and then head directly to church for some serious praying. Tipoff is schedule for 6pm CT on Thursday, February 17, 2011 and will be broadcast on ESPN."

...and a couple of other notes.

On Twitter: J.B. Bauer

Good update on Westbrook. 94% from the Line - maybe he could stop over and provide a lil instruction.

Found this interesting as well.

"By the way, Minnesota is shooting 68.5% from the line in Big Ten games. The D1 average is usually around 69% each year. Don’t sweat it".

I saw this before pretty much every game but when I wake up on game day I look forward to reading the pregame thoughts. Thanks for putting this together.

This line stands out in my mind as one of your best due to its subtlety. "

Earlier this month, Brooks dislocated his right shoulder and missed a game on February 6. While the rumor is that his sex life has gone from minimal to nonexistent after the injury"

Keep up the good work GW

Found this interesting as well.

"By the way, Minnesota is shooting 68.5% from the line in Big Ten games. The D1 average is usually around 69% each year. Don’t sweat it".

That may be true, but it is also true that the Gophers are DFL in the B10 in FT shooting %.

#7 tOSU: .696
#8 MSU: .691
#9 Mich: .683
#10 Iowa: .673
#11 MN: .653

That may be true, but it is also true that the Gophers are DFL in the B10 in FT shooting %.

#7 tOSU: .696
#8 MSU: .691
#9 Mich: .683
#10 Iowa: .673
#11 MN: .653

It's extremely frustrating to miss foul shots, but the kids just need to get their minds right and handle it...

We've got far more pressing issues than missing free throws (which is almost all mental - if a kid has a huge flaw in his mechanics and you want to instruct him on changing it, that's one thing, but otherwise I am not going to waste my limited practice time having kids shoot free throws).

If 7th best FT shooting team (%) in the Big Ten is good enough to be a No. 1 seed in the tourney, I'm not going to freak out about it.

Free throws have been great for us this year. We've made more than the #1 FT% team in the Big Ten has taken and score about 4 more points from the line per game than they do.

In a game or two it might burn us (and I concede against I4 it did), but there are a lot of other things I worry about much more than free throws... and most of those things can be quickly worked on and addressed in different ways... free throws, I'm not so convinced. I think having a kid talk to a shrink might be more useful than having him run wind sprints.

gw

So will the Gophers make more free throws tonight than Battle attempts?

:)

Top Bottom