Freshman from Osseo

ITS GOLD JERRY!

Reaction score
I heard a firsthand account of Saul being at Osseo last night and watching the 6-8 freshman from Osseo Ian Theisen. Has anyone else watched him much and what are your thoughts about him?

More to what story? And what sort of trouble/who would be getting in trouble out of this?

I haven't seen the Osseo boys varsity yet this year. You could tell that Ian had flashes of great ability last year (he was getting substantial minutes as an 8th grader). He was a bean pole then, not sure if the 225 lbs means he's put weight on.

Watching Ian makes me think of Kevin Love and wonder what Love looked like at 15. Ian plays in our conference so I've seen him a lot. Shoots the 3 at an over 50% and rebounds well. I saw him against Hopkins and he had some nice blocks/fouls on Joe Coleman going to the hole so that was good to see from an athletic standpoint getting up and challenging Joe. He battled Marvin real well that night and if you know Marvin, that kid is a man! Quickness and athleticism are the key to his future.

I watched Ian play quite a bit last year and he has very good skills. Still a little awkward in his body (understandably so) but he can finish with both hands and looks like he understands how to post up and score with his back to the hoop. I will say that he needs to work on quickness and jumping. His legs needs to get stronger but that can happen over time.

I don't remember him playing away from the basket much but I know he can knock down a jump shot and rebound. At 6'8" 225lbs he doesn't need to grow much. 2 inches and natural weight gain and he will have a B10 body.

predicting him as a senior

So would 6'10" 240 be a good guess for his senior season? That's about what Colt was comming out. I'm sure Colt wasn't as good as a freshmen. Is Kevin Love a good comparison? Love is 6'8" without shoes but has the strength, IQ, and will to be an all-star!

So would 6'10" 240 be a good guess for his senior season? That's about what Colt was comming out. I'm sure Colt wasn't as good as a freshmen. Is Kevin Love a good comparison? Love is 6'8" without shoes but has the strength, IQ, and will to be an all-star!

I say Love more from an interest standpoint and someone to emulate his game after more than anything. And I doubt I'm in the miniority when I say, I didn't like Love would be an all-star. His "will" to win is unmatched in the NBA today.

Theissen is a nice player. He could be a good piece for B10 team but I don't think he is very athletic. Just because he is about the same height as Love and can shoot the 3 doesn't mean he is even close to him. I never once saw Theissen dominate a game.

For him to be more than a good piece for a B10 team I think he needs to be closer to 7ft. He has a big frame so I could see him getting up to 260-270 in college. He is very skilled and has the size but needs to work on some stuff. Its really hard to project a post into the NBA when he is 15. I think he is a D1 talent and will likely end up at a BCS school.

He seems passive when I see him play and I know he is a kid but he needs to show some fire.

In terms of potential or skill set, I don't think Ian is close to Kevin Love. Ian has an alright mid-range shot, but I just don't think he's anywhere close to being as athletic as Kevin Love.

And yes, I don't think Colt was as good of a frosh as Ian is. I think Ian definitely has the potential to be better than Colt too.

Kevin Love, in the 9th grade had an uncanny feel for the game that was uncommon for a kid that young. He was arguably one of the best players in the state of Oregon even as a freshman. Ian's progression hasn't been that rapid but he has potential to become a Cole Aldrich type by his senior year.

Kevin Love, in the 9th grade had an uncanny feel for the game that was uncommon for a kid that young. He was arguably one of the best players in the state of Oregon even as a freshman. Ian's progression hasn't been that rapid but he has potential to become a Cole Aldrich type by his senior year.

I think everyone could live with that. As for Love's uncanny feel, I'm sure his family helped him find that.:)

this topic came up 6 months ago.. he was ranking in the top50 nationally on some website.. some of the holers took issue when i suggested he would not finish in the top 150 as a SR... so be careful what you say.. showin', Jake, et al will come for your throat.

Theissen is a nice player. He could be a good piece for B10 team but I don't think he is very athletic. Just because he is about the same height as Love and can shoot the 3 doesn't mean he is even close to him. I never once saw Theissen dominate a game.

For him to be more than a good piece for a B10 team I think he needs to be closer to 7ft. He has a big frame so I could see him getting up to 260-270 in college. He is very skilled and has the size but needs to work on some stuff. Its really hard to project a post into the NBA when he is 15. I think he is a D1 talent and will likely end up at a BCS school.

He seems passive when I see him play and I know he is a kid but he needs to show some fire.

My god, the kid is in 9th grade!?!?!

I heard a firsthand account of Saul being at Osseo last night and watching the 6-8 freshman from Osseo Ian Theisen. Has anyone else watched him much and what are your thoughts about him?

Word is that Tubby might extend an offer to Ian, in the spring of 2014 if Ian doesn't sign with WI during the early signing period.

I say Love more from an interest standpoint and someone to emulate his game after more than anything. And I doubt I'm in the miniority when I say, I didn't like Love would be an all-star. His "will" to win is unmatched in the NBA today.

duth, didn't you say earlier that Harrison Barnes was a 'lock' for 1st team AA?

duth, didn't you say earlier that Harrison Barnes was a 'lock' for 1st team AA?

Not a lock but thought he'd be top 5. His freshmen year has been a disappointment up to recently. Still wouldn't be surprised to see him taken in top 5 of the NBA draft.

Word is that Tubby might extend an offer to Ian, in the spring of 2014 if Ian doesn't sign with WI during the early signing period.

Word is that.... if this..... Holy Jesus Martha, more rumor mongering.

Top Bottom