Przybilla on leaving the U mid-season: “Was it maybe a bad decision? Maybe."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
An alleged tiff with Monson may have led to the decision, though Przybilla wouldn’t comment on it Monday, saying simply that there were “some side factors that went down behind the scenes that a lot of people don’t know about.

“It was just time for me to move on,” Przybilla said. “People ask me if I regret it. No, not a minute. I look back and I’m in my 11th year in the NBA. I met my beautiful wife [while playing] in Milwaukee and we’ve got two wonderful children. I couldn’t ask for anything better. It’s made me grow into the person I am today.

“Was it maybe a bad decision? Maybe. But I look back and I wouldn’t change it for the world.”

http://www.mndaily.com/2011/02/16/transition-joel-przybilla

Go Gophers!!

Hard to say it was a poor decision considering how his career turned out, but really, I don't think that part changes a lot if he stays the whole year. But who knows what was really going down behind the scenes.

Has a player ever said that leaving early was a mistake? I would like to hear one person say it. RICK RICKERT, TELL ME IT WAS A MISTAKE!

“Was it maybe a bad decision? Maybe. But I look back and I wouldn’t change it for the world.”

It was a great decision if you only care about your own selfish wants. Has anybody asked the teammates he left behind what they think of the decision?

It was a great decision if you only care about your own selfish wants. Has anybody asked the teammates he left behind what they think of the decision?

Exactly. He quit on them. If he's as competitive and as much of a leader as the article says he is, then he can't possibly look back at the fact that he quit in the middle of the season and say that it was a good decision... regardless of his issues with Monson.

Why didn't they ask him to comment on winning the MN Daily's "slapnut of the year" award in 1999? He's still a punk!

still not a big fan of players leaving during the season but my opinion of Przybilla has really changed after talking to somebody who was pretty close to the situation and hearing Joel's reasons and some of the things Monson was doing.

still not a big fan of players leaving during the season but my opinion of Przybilla has really changed after talking to somebody who was pretty close to the situation and hearing Joel's reasons and some of the things Monson was doing.

Interesting. It's never cool to quit in the middle of the season unless it's something really intolerable, IMO, but who knows what the details were. I also think there is a difference between leaving a team that pretty obviously isn't going anywhere like that team (I think that was the year we weren't even eligible?), and bailing on a potential Sweet 16 team.

Unless the reason was Monson was molesting him, there isn't a "good" reason for leaving. I really don't see much of difference between leaving a championship team or a last place team. In both cases, a committment is made to your teammates that you're going to be there with them through it all--good or bad.

I left in mid-season and it pi$$ed off my now ex-wife.

Top Bottom