PiPress: PG of the future, Andre Hollins, trying to fit in at unfamilar position

Scares me to think Tubby is essentially putting all his eggs in one basket. If Hollins struggles making the transition to PG at the college level, the Gophers will be worse off than they are right now. If he does well, it could be a very good season for maroon and gold.

Personally, I hope he eventually gets put back to his natural spot at SG in college. That means Tubby would need to sign a college-ready PG in 2012.

We'll see...

I have some of the same fears as you but I think Tubby knows what he's doing. Hollins is a very smart kid and he's getting a head start on the transition by switching to PG this year. I have also liked Maverick's development this season, I think he'll give us solid PG minutes off the bench next year.

Just hoping that he won't be the next Devoe Joseph. Not that he quits.... but that he's a true shooting guard just trying to play point because he needs to. Never really liked Devoe there, hopefully Andre can prove me wrong.

Andre seems like a real good, authentic kid. I'm really getting excited about these two (maybe 3 or more) new guys coming in and really pushing the tempo and aggression. Maybe it's kick Ralph in the butt and make Colt just as aggressive, but less turnover prone. We really don't have a guard that pushes the offense. Hoff tries to when he's off the ball and Chip tries, but is still raw.

me-likey-very-likey.jpg

Just hoping that he won't be the next Devoe Joseph. Not that he quits.... but that he's a true shooting guard just trying to play point because he needs to. Never really liked Devoe there, hopefully Andre can prove me wrong.

From everything I've seen (highlight videos), Hollins is much better at creating both for himself and others. Devoe never really had that skill, he wasn't even that great at creating for himself, he was mostly a jump shooter. That distinction I think is huge when comparing their transitions to pg.

Scares me to think Tubby is essentially putting all his eggs in one basket. If Hollins struggles making the transition to PG at the college level, the Gophers will be worse off than they are right now. If he does well, it could be a very good season for maroon and gold.

Personally, I hope he eventually gets put back to his natural spot at SG in college. That means Tubby would need to sign a college-ready PG in 2012.

We'll see...

You're pessimistic about something related to Gophers basketball? That's so unlike you!!!

I have some of the same fears as you but I think Tubby knows what he's doing. Hollins is a very smart kid and he's getting a head start on the transition by switching to PG this year. I have also liked Maverick's development this season, I think he'll give us solid PG minutes off the bench next year.

I agree. He has 467 career W (in 20 years) and put 18 of his players into NBA (and/or got drafted).

Kentucky "fans" forget that 14 of his UK players (over 10 years) made NBA and 2 more (recruits) made it after he left UK in 2007.

From everything I've seen (highlight videos), Hollins is much better at creating both for himself and others. Devoe never really had that skill, he wasn't even that great at creating for himself, he was mostly a jump shooter. That distinction I think is huge when comparing their transitions to pg.

Agree. Their skill sets are a tad different in regards to how they get their points. Hollins appears to be a better ball handler than Devoe was, and probably (based on the little I've seen) can get to the rim easier than Devoe. I wouldn't necessarily compare the two coming in. That's still not to say I wouldn't rather see Hollins at scoring guard instead of trying to run the point, but I don't think it'll be as much of an issue for him if he has to go there.

I agree. He has 467 career W (in 20 years) and put 18 of his players into NBA (and/or got drafted).

Kentucky "fans" forget that 14 of his UK players (over 10 years) made NBA and 2 more (recruits) made it after he left UK in 2007.

Because every single decision Tubby Smith has ever made has been the correct decision. He literally cannot make a mistake.

Because every single decision Tubby Smith has ever made has been the correct decision. He literally cannot make a mistake.

And conversely, the Gopher program is in utter shambles because Tubby Smith is an over-the-hill has-been who doesn't know the first thing about running a successful big-time Division I basketball program (tongue firmly in cheek).

Top Bottom