BT only has 3 recrits in McDy's AA game; only 1 in Jordan Classic

You forgot Dawson made the McD game for Michigan State.

Not very impressive recruiting (on paper at least) for over half the Big Ten. Scout has all 4 of Penn State's recruits as 2 star. I know it's just Scout but...

Branden Dawson for MSU in the McD's game

Yep, my bad on missing Dawson. I also mis-spelled "recruits" in the headline so not a great initial post on my part.

Go Gophers!!

Kentucky had 4 on their own lol. But it's not like the BT got waxed.

SEC: 7 (As I said, 4 to KY)
Big East: 5
ACC: 5
Big Ten: 4
Big 12: 2
Conference USA: 1

Good article on ESPN insider about how flawed the selection process is for the McDonald's game and about how it really is a showcase for Duke, UNC, Kansas and Kentucky recruits.

Nothing to worry about from the Big 10 perspective.

Robbie Hummel, E'twaun Moore, JuJuan Johnson

None made McDonalds A-A or Jordan A-A but they have done pretty well.

25 W, 27 W, 29 W, and now 20 W and counting. That's 101 W (+) for them.

None made McDonalds A-A or Jordan A-A but they have done pretty well.

25 W, 27 W, 29 W, and now 20 W and counting. That's 101 W (+) for them.

Not sure what this really proves...sure, they weren't McDAA guys, but that Purdue recruiting class was elite and rated very highly by all accounts. People aren't stupid enough to believe that the only good HS players in the nation are in the McDAA game. They don't take 100 guys for that game. If you're trying to prove that rating systems are flawed, your statement actually works against that assertion. Do you actually think that you need to convince people that there are good HS players who aren't in the McDAA game?

The Big Ten typically has from 2 to 4 players in the McD's AA game if you look back at the roster for every game, which you can do from this website:
http://statsheet.com/bhsb/mcdonalds_all_american_team/2009
(just select the "Other McDonald's Teams" drop-down bar on the right and you can look at the roster for all the past McD's AA teams).

The one year where it looks like the Big Ten got a particularly deep and strong haul of top talent was 1991, when the Fab Five came in along with Alan Henderson (IU) and the big dog Glenn Robinson. The Big Ten had six McD's AAs that year (and all of them really good players), and I don't think the Big Ten has had as many as 6 in any other year. Like I said before, the Big Ten typically has 2-4 McD's AAs. 2009 and 2005 were outliers because no McD's AAs went to the B10 in those years (and only one in 2004). So 2011 is a little better than average as far as pure numbers of McD's AAs entering the B10 go, but clearly quality is more important than quantity, and quality varies wildly. If you look back on past McD's AA teams as a whole, there is a lot of variation in terms of overall quality of the McD's AA team. Look at 1979 - James Worthy, Dominique Wilkins, Isiah Thomas, Ralph Sampson, Byron Scott, John Paxson, Sam Bowie, Clark Kellogg, etc. Then look at 1999 - the best players that year were Carlos Boozer and Jason Richardson. Clearly some years are exceptionally strong, and I think that was the case for 2007 when you had Kevin Love, Derrick Rose, Blake Griffin, and Eric Gordon among a host of NBA players as McDonald's AAs - clearly that was a year where guys who weren't McD's AAs (like Moore, Johnson, Hummel and Evan Turner) were a lot better than top-50 or so guys are in the typical year. But most years are not especially strong outside of the top four or five players.

It seems like the ideal college player is rarely a McDonald's All-American. Blake Hoffarber will contribute much more than Kris Humphries ever did. Ideally you would get good players who are not quite NBA material for one reason or another and who therefore stay 3 or 4 years. The three Purdue guys are like that. In fact, the Big Ten is filled with players like that this year, which is why the league is very strong.

Not sure what this really proves...sure, they weren't McDAA guys, but that Purdue recruiting class was elite and rated very highly by all accounts. People aren't stupid enough to believe that the only good HS players in the nation are in the McDAA game. They don't take 100 guys for that game. If you're trying to prove that rating systems are flawed, your statement actually works against that assertion. Do you actually think that you need to convince people that there are good HS players who aren't in the McDAA game?

You figured it out. There are elite college players who were not McD A-A HS players.

Top Bottom