Steals

washgopher

Reaction score
Steals and deflections are are big stat with Tubby and should be. Austin leads the team in steals since Nolen went down, nearly double anyone else at 2.2SPG

It makes sense. His length is perfect for getting in passing lanes. He should turn into quite the ball hawk I'd think over the next few years.

Pretty good Stl/game #s, considering he doesn't play starter minutes. To me though, it highlights exactly how valuable Nolen is defensively, given that no other starter approached Nolen's ability to generate turnovers via steals.

This is especially important as our team has always shown a far greater ability to generate offense in the open court off of turnovers than in a half-court set. Getting a steal allows us to get the ball to Blake in open positions, feed our bigs for dunks, and generally get a nice offensive flow going.

also a steal can get Mav breaking down court for a layup, something he's adept at and fearless to boot.

Damian said we'd miss him, and we do.

I like Austin's potential as a defender.

I like Austin's defense also and Mav flies around on defense and has very quick arms and hands, must be very distracting to the guy he's guarding.

He is only a Freshman?

Austin is a really lenghty player and is the best defender of the Freshman. Thats why Tubby has started him. He has a really bright future. He plays defense, shoots three pointers, slashes to the basket and even comes up with a rebound or two. His weakness is that he isn't a fantastic ball handler and is subject to turnovers. If he can eliminate turnovers he will continue to see his minutes increase. Tubby doesn't like to play Freshman, but Austin has the potential to be something special as he gets stronger.

Austin is going to be a good 4 year guy for us. Solid perimeter shooter, ability to slash, and a quality lengthy defender. No doubt that we've missed Al's ball pressure though, not to mention that it's made our press pretty easy to beat.

Austin is a really lenghty player and is the best defender of the Freshman. Thats why Tubby has started him. He has a really bright future. He plays defense, shoots three pointers, slashes to the basket and even comes up with a rebound or two. His weakness is that he isn't a fantastic ball handler and is subject to turnovers. If he can eliminate turnovers he will continue to see his minutes increase. Tubby doesn't like to play Freshman, but Austin has the potential to be something special as he gets stronger.

Austin does not shoot threes. Not well anyway.

Freshmen

Freshmen rarely shoot a great 3pt percantage. Usually the biggest adjustment for them is shot selection. I wonder what Austin shot from there in high school? His release looks good, but he has a bit of a elongated shooting motion. I'm thinking the weights will help there.

I think he is a great player and he definitely has a strong basketball IQ.

Top Bottom