Jerry Palm on weakness of at-large candidates

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
From Jerry Palm at collegerpi.com. This would tend to bode well for the Gophers, especially with those wins over UNC and WVU still in their hip pocket.

"It's hard to figure out where the bids will come from. The Big East is solid, and the Big Ten is ok, but the ACC, SEC and Pac 10 are all down from their usual standard. Also, no non-major has stepped up to grab berths. We may see some typically fatal statistics end up not being so fatal this year. For example, the committee may be forced to take teams that aren't .500 against the RPI top 200, which has been an extremely rare occurrence in the past.

"Florida St won on Saturday, but lost leading scorer and rebounder Chris Singleton likely for the season with a broken foot. That puts the Seminoles in the position of having to reprove themselves without him. Minnesota (Al Nolen) and Michigan St (Korie Lucious) are also trying to replace key players that are not expected back this season. The committee will put a little more emphasis on how a team does without that player if he is not expected back for the tournament. However, the entire season is considered. It's not like the games those players played suddenly don't count."

Speaking of which

Minnesota (Al Nolen) and Michigan St (Korie Lucious) are also trying to replace key players that are not expected back this season. The committee will put a little more emphasis on how a team does without that player if he is not expected back for the tournament.

Al Nolen tweeted that his foot is getting better and hopefully he'll be back for the Big Ten tournament.

I'm hesitant to believe it until I see it. Would be great though. :)

Al Nolen tweeted that his foot is getting better and hopefully he'll be back for the Big Ten tournament.

I saw that too and I would never be happier to be proven wrong in my prediction that he was done for the year.

We'll see I guess.

From Jerry Palm at collegerpi.com. This would tend to bode well for the Gophers, especially with those wins over UNC and WVU still in their hip pocket.

"It's hard to figure out where the bids will come from. The Big East is solid, and the Big Ten is ok, but the ACC, SEC and Pac 10 are all down from their usual standard. Also, no non-major has stepped up to grab berths. We may see some typically fatal statistics end up not being so fatal this year. For example, the committee may be forced to take teams that aren't .500 against the RPI top 200, which has been an extremely rare occurrence in the past.

"Florida St won on Saturday, but lost leading scorer and rebounder Chris Singleton likely for the season with a broken foot. That puts the Seminoles in the position of having to reprove themselves without him. Minnesota (Al Nolen) and Michigan St (Korie Lucious) are also trying to replace key players that are not expected back this season. The committee will put a little more emphasis on how a team does without that player if he is not expected back for the tournament. However, the entire season is considered. It's not like the games those players played suddenly don't count."

When you bold that part it doesn't look like it bodes too well for the Gophers.

That won't be a problem though if Nolen heals up soon!

I kind of wondered about that myself. Makes sense I guess. Maybe Tubby should state that Al WILL be back for the tournament.;)

Having Al back would be huge. All we can do is hope.

We should just say Al's gonna be back regardless so we get in. ;)

Top Bottom