STrib: The once proud, storied institution of North HS is a quickly fading memory

I thought that the strib was the once proud institution that is a fading memory.

A truly sad story. I was fortunate enough to play against North several times in the mid-90s. From Khalid, to Ozzie Lockhart, Jabbar Washington, Chris Rainey, etc., across the board, they had a mystique and a fanfare that was unmatched, and I don't believe it will ever be matched in any post 90s era in Minnesota basketball. I for one would love to see a revitalization of Minneapolis city hoops, and see the North's, Henry's, etc. of the city elevate their game. The unfortunate reality with civic issues in the mix, open enrollment and shrinking budgets make that hope a long shot.

I would encourage everyone to visit the North side and specifically Khalid's restaurant: www.efishhouse.com

A truly sad story. I was fortunate enough to play against North several times in the mid-90s. From Khalid, to Ozzie Lockhart, Jabbar Washington, Chris Rainey, etc., across the board, they had a mystique and a fanfare that was unmatched, and I don't believe it will ever be matched in any post 90s era in Minnesota basketball. I for one would love to see a revitalization of Minneapolis city hoops, and see the North's, Henry's, etc. of the city elevate their game. The unfortunate reality with civic issues in the mix, open enrollment and shrinking budgets make that hope a long shot.

I would encourage everyone to visit the North side and specifically Khalid's restaurant: www.efishhouse.com

Yeah, but it really does start at the lowest levels. You gotta get kids going through the Minneapolis public school system from start to finish and that's not happening anymore. Whatever needs to be done, you gotta build the resources to draw people back in. There's a lot of city talent going to suburban schools because simply, they're better schools with better resources for the kids. That's just the reality of the situation.

Yeah, but it really does start at the lowest levels. You gotta get kids going through the Minneapolis public school system from start to finish and that's not happening anymore. Whatever needs to be done, you gotta build the resources to draw people back in. There's a lot of city talent going to suburban schools because simply, they're better schools with better resources for the kids. That's just the reality of the situation.

The city schools get more money than the suburban schools in terms of tax revenue, but the suburban schools definitely have better booster clubs and gate receipts. If a city school hires the right coach, they can create a powerhouse fairly quickly. The talent is there for basketball and doesn't need to start over in the elementary schools. Can't say the same for football. I can't envision a future with a competitive city football squad.

"Long live Tony Queen."

When i was about 10 years old and living in South Minneapolis, Tony Queen was lost and knocked on our front door asking for a phone book and to use our phone. He was larger than life and I remember seeing him on tv during the tournament thinking "he was in my house!" Pretty cool memory for a young kid.

The amazing thing about the city schools to me is just how few students some of them have.

According to enrollment numbers on the MSHSL page here are the current 9-12 enrollments:
Edison: 666
North: 370
Henry: 868
South: 1694
Southwest: 1574
Roosevelt: 778
Washburn: 726

Here are some random enrollments of some suburban schools for context:
Apple Valley: 1910
Bloomington Jefferson: 1614
Henry Sibley: 1342
Maple Grove: 2325
Coon Rapids: 2356
Edina: 2364
Eden Prairie: 3079

I'm just surprised that five of the Minneapolis city schools don't average 250 students in a class. That's smaller than most of the schools in outstate conferences such as the Big 9 and the Central Lakes.

The amazing thing about the city schools to me is just how few students some of them have.

According to enrollment numbers on the MSHSL page here are the current 9-12 enrollments:
Edison: 666
North: 370
Henry: 868
South: 1694
Southwest: 1574
Roosevelt: 778
Washburn: 726

Here are some random enrollments of some suburban schools for context:
Apple Valley: 1910
Bloomington Jefferson: 1614
Henry Sibley: 1342
Maple Grove: 2325
Coon Rapids: 2356
Edina: 2364
Eden Prairie: 3079

I'm just surprised that five of the Minneapolis city schools don't average 250 students in a class. That's smaller than most of the schools in outstate conferences such as the Big 9 and the Central Lakes.
Those are the adjusted enrollment numbers the MSHSL gives out, not the actual enrollment. If you're a poor kid, the MSHSL only counts you as being worth 60% of the other students. The city schools are still smaller, but most are still over 1000 in actual enrollment.

Played against North back in 92. I was a freshman on the varsity from Eau Claire, WI. Got dunked on by Andre something or other (can't remember the last name). Us white boys were a little intimidated by the neighborhood and the bars up on the school. We couldn't even use the boys locker room cuz they thought our stuff would get stolen so we dressed in the gym. I think it was during the second quarter when the lights suddenly turned off in the gym and someone in the crowd yelled out, "Rat-ta-tat-tat, all the white boys gonna die!" And we all hid under our chairs! LOL Good memories. They kicked our asses by the way and deservedly so.

Didn't know about the adjusted enrollments from the MSHSL.

Here are enrollment numbers from Minneapolis Public School website.

Edison: 891
North: 267
Henry: 1142
Roosevelt: 902
South: 1959
SWest: 1766
Washburn 972

Edison, North, Henry and Roosevelt all have more than 80 percent of students receiving free or reduced lunch. Washburn has 62 percent receiving free or reduced lunch.

ACLU sued and got open enrollment. Now the ACLU is threatening to sue because North is going to be closed, because of open enrollment. BTW you are paying for the "free lunch!"

Top Bottom