Tubby and Hoffarber

Doc1001

Reaction score
Just as I feared Blake was afraid to shoot during the Iowa game. He only took six shots. Sure it worked when they played a lower tier Iowa team that had an off night on top of it. But if we are going to have a chance at getting to the NCAA tournament Blake will need to feel free to shoot and not be afraid. Otherwise we are dead meat. I didnt like Tubby limiting Blakes offense. Six shot attempts? I figured it would happen and it better stop. Even if Blake takes a bad shot now and then he is about our only outside hope. We need Blake to have confidence not fear of getting criticized by the coach regarding his shooting. Criticize him all you want for turnovers etc but not shooting. PS I am not the Doc on here calling for Tubby to be fired. Thats another Doc.

PS I am not the Doc on here calling for Tubby to be fired. Thats another Doc.

And don't *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ing blame me. The Doc you refer to is a DocfromDarwin and after yesterday and his bull*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#, he should be banned.

Maybe he will dare show his face and apologize for his comments and behavior yesterday, we MIGHT be slightly forgiving for being drunk, stupid, and an ass.

And I'm not calling for Tubby to be fired, NOR am I a Dr. I just stayed a holiday inn express last night.

Just as I feared Blake was afraid to shoot during the Iowa game. He only took six shots. Sure it worked when they played a lower tier Iowa team that had an off night on top of it. But if we are going to have a chance at getting to the NCAA tournament Blake will need to feel free to shoot and not be afraid. Otherwise we are dead meat. I didnt like Tubby limiting Blakes offense. Six shot attempts? I figured it would happen and it better stop. Even if Blake takes a bad shot now and then he is about our only outside hope. We need Blake to have confidence not fear of getting criticized by the coach regarding his shooting. Criticize him all you want for turnovers etc but not shooting. PS I am not the Doc on here calling for Tubby to be fired. Thats another Doc.

Disagree...if Blake has to play PG then he has to play like a PG and become a pass first player. Granted I would like to see us run a few more plays for him...but in the end...Blake needs to feed the beast inside and manage the game. I agreed with Tubby on Blake's play against OSU and IL and think calling him out for not doing what he was being asked to do is the right thing.

We all love Blake, but it was clear that Tubby asked him to be a PG and Blake didn't do the job in those two games. Last night agains IA, Blake managed the game, the clock and the team...and we won going away...time to be men and do your job.

I'm not sure Blake is quick enough to generate his own shot playing PG. That might be the main reason he is taking fewer shots, certainly why he isn't getting as many good 3 point chances.

Mostly we need Blake to run point, get Mbakwe and other players the ball in positions where they can succeed. If he scores it is a plus but not required in my opinion. In some ways the less he shoots the better as he will get others involved, he will stay fresher and be able to play at a high level for longer.

We beat Iowa soundly and I am happy, Penn State is next.

wrong diagnosis doc!

Doc1001, I think you're way off on your assessment of Hoff being shackled by Tubby and any further criticism. If Iowa did one thing well on Sunday, it was the fact that they always had a guy in Hoff's jock. I'm sorry, I just didn't see these shot opportunities that you think he had. Hoff's not a pansy and he knows his importance to this team as well as Tubby does. I'm by no means an insider over there, but I sense there is alot of mutual respect between Hoff and Tubby.

I agree

I think Tubby and Hoff get along fine. But I want him shooting when he has the chance and not second guessing. Who else is going to make our three point shots? Not always but most of the time when the gophers shine Blake is hitting the threes. Yes you need an inside game and they should take advantage of their size. But all in all you need someone to make the three or you are going nowhere. How long can you win with no one making the three? Name the other person who can consistently make the three?

Doc1001, I think you're way off on your assessment of Hoff being shackled by Tubby and any further criticism. If Iowa did one thing well on Sunday, it was the fact that they always had a guy in Hoff's jock. I'm sorry, I just didn't see these shot opportunities that you think he had. Hoff's not a pansy and he knows his importance to this team as well as Tubby does. I'm by no means an insider over there, but I sense there is alot of mutual respect between Hoff and Tubby.

+1, I did not see an abundance of shots for Hoff to take, or the need to take them.

answer the question. Were there any open shot attempts that Hoffarber didn't take?

Name the other person who can consistently make the three?

DocfromDarwin.

Blake said on TV...I believe one of the Journey episodes, that Tubby gives him free reign. I don't think Tubby was telling him not to shoot, but he should shot fake more so that he can get to the line. Also, Blake is a horrible shooter under duress. I don't know if I've ever seen him make a 3 pointer under total duress. He should be taking shots when he's got a clean look at the basket.

Totally agree with this. I really don't think Hoff changed anything. I can't recall one time watching that game where I said, "Wow, Blake normally woulda launched that" until pretty late in the game when we were basically running clock off, but of course, we haven't exactly had a lot of blow outs to run clock this season lol.

Also, Blake is a horrible shooter under duress. I don't know if I've ever seen him make a 3 pointer under total duress.

That's a good one, KY. Top 10 three point shooter in the country - all on wide open looks. Sheesh.

I think Tubby and Hoff get along fine. But I want him shooting when he has the chance and not second guessing. Who else is going to make our three point shots? Not always but most of the time when the gophers shine Blake is hitting the threes. Yes you need an inside game and they should take advantage of their size. But all in all you need someone to make the three or you are going nowhere. How long can you win with no one making the three? Name the other person who can consistently make the three?

I don't know if I've ever seen Blake not shoot when he's open from 3-point land (unless we have a lead late in the game of course). And I'm talking about over his four years as a Gopher. When he's open from the outside, he will shoot. No doubt about that. He just wasn't open much yesterday. The three games prior to Iowa, he shot 27 3-pointers. That's nine a game. I don't think he's second guessing out there at all. He's just not going to throw it up there just for the sake of it.

I will take back

that he was afraid to shoot. I cant read his mind. But he only took two shots in the second half. Thats what I was afraid of. With no three point shooter teams will soon sag the middle and we will be sunk. Maybe the game was just an aberration but Blake needs to get his shots one way or another for us to go anywhere even if he is playing the point. Thats my point. And Tubby must know this.

How do you know he was afraid to shoot during the Iowa game? Blake usually doesn't force shots. He did the other night against Illinois and Tubby let him know. Telling him that he took too many ill-advised shots isn't really "limiting his offense" in a bad way.

that he was afraid to shoot. I cant read his mind. But he only took two shots in the second half. Thats what I was afraid of. With no three point shooter teams will soon sag the middle and we will be sunk. Maybe the game was just an aberration but Blake needs to get his shots one way or another for us to go anywhere even if he is playing the point. Thats my point. And Tubby must know this.

Didn't we lead by 15+ the majority of that 2nd half? Why would Blake want to come even close to forcing a shot in that situation? Seems to me that if ain't broke, don't fix it?

Didn't we lead by 15+ the majority of that 2nd half? Why would Blake want to come even close to forcing a shot in that situation? Seems to me that if ain't broke, don't fix it?

Exactly. They were getting any look they wanted in the paint that second half. Eat clock and take the high percentage shots they give you.

I know I've badmouthed Tubby's public handling of the Hoffarber situation, but I'd be surprised if they didn't sit down and get straight exactly what's expected of Blake. Like most, I was really pleased with his management of the Iowa game. I was worried about him being hesitant, but I didn't see that at all.

All that said, I still wish Hoff could go back to floating around without the ball and assassinating off the catch.

His six points

came on four free throws and a layup LOL

I think the "shot-fake" comment has been misunderstood by many. I believe in Tubby's context he was talking about the three-position stance that a player has with the ball ...pass, shoot,and dribble. While Blake was playing point he became a two-position player and gave away that he never had an intention of shooting....only passing. Keep 'em honest, Blake. I saw your one "shot-fake" in the Iowa game.

Top Bottom