Did anyone else hear...

ilovethebarn

Reaction score
the student section chant, "wash your face," while Colton was on the free throw line? That was a pretty tasteless chant in my opinion. You are beating a team by 31 and you have to throw that out there. I know we got our butts handed to us, but come on student section show some class.

I will now step down from my soap box.

Nothing. Ask Steve Kerr about student sections during his time in college.

I heard that also and thought the same thing. Unfortunately, like others have posted college kids don't really care.

its the student section's job to get in the head of the opponent and it seemed to work seeing that colton missed both free throws

its the student section's job to get in the head of the opponent ...
As opposed to cheering for their team?

I think that the rationalization of "it's our job to get in the head of the opponents" is simply trying to justify any form of immature and classless behavior on the part of so-called "fans." Maybe we should just acknowledge that "kids will be kids" and they'll grow out of it?

Or is there a true "job description" that lays all this out? ;)

it's american morality in a nutshell

and most people on here think nothing of it

air ball is fine, overrated is fine, etc.

but wash your face just shows what we all know......this country is a mess and there is no respect for you, nor I, nor anyone else

Nothing. Ask Steve Kerr about student sections during his time in college.

For those who don't know that story, his Dad was Malcolm Kerr (US diplomat murdered in Lebanon).

A rival Pac-10 student section shouted, "Where's your Daddy?" at Kerr one game. Ugly, it was.

I would bet Saul Smith would know a thing or two about student section chants from home AND away games.

Actually, if I recall with Kerr, the year they played at Arizona State after his Dad was killed, the chant was "PLO, PLO", the organization responsible for killing Kerr's dad.

I fully agree with MN Snowman and Goldteam. We have slipped, badly, in terms of ethics and morality in the USA. This shows up in our political, financial, business, and athletic venues, just to name a prominent few. It's why we are in the mess we're in now, economically.

People of good will have a hard time getting in the faces of jerks, just like the people going to work every day--the ones who pay the taxes to subsidize the net "takers"--have a tough time with political activism. They simply aren't wired that way (even if they had the time to go to rallies, write their politicians, etc.). I wish it were enough to just lead by example these days, but there's so much ground to take back that leading by example alone is not going to cut it. The losers appear to badly outnumber the winners & the trend ain't good.

I think you are going a bit deeper than you need to on this one. You have to remember the students are mostly teen agers or very young adults. They are not very far removed from the days in Middle School and High School where a few of them saw nothing wrong with picking on or bullying certain kids that weren't "cool". And most of them would never ever say anything about the bullying as long as it was not directed at them. Now most students (not all) certainly can't see any harm in mocking someone for something they cannot control. It's funny to them and that's all that matters. Just like many in the Barnyard thought it was hilarious to mock Ryan Wittman about his dad who was about to lose his job.

That said the Barnyard is generally a very positive bunch that rarely crosses the line like some of the Spartan students did last night. I really doubt that kind of chant would have occurred at the Barn.

Honestly, I don't seem to be all that bothered by it. It's not like they were questioning his sexuality or making fun of a dead parent. I'm sure Colton wasn't all that bothered by it either. In fact, I would say that's a pretty clean way of trying to get into someone's head.

I mean, didn't we bring that picture of that Wisky post player last year wearing a bra?

I mean, didn't we bring that picture of that Wisky post player last year wearing a bra?

Bryan Butch put that bra on all by himself.

Bryan Butch put that bra on all by himself.

True, and I know Colton has no control over his acne. But, the MSU students could have been worse. I still think it's a clean and innocent way of trying to crack an opposing player IMO.

Actually, if I recall with Kerr, the year they played at Arizona State after his Dad was killed, the chant was "PLO, PLO", the organization responsible for killing Kerr's dad.

That may well be. I knew it was ASU but couldn't remember the actual words.

I think it was a very disgraceful and classless chant towards Colton!! I can't believe that so many of you are dismissing this and saying it's good clean fun. You disgust me.

It would be one thing if it was a few students chanting it and it faded quickly, but it was obviously a large portion of the student section and the chant lasted for an extended period of time. I lost all respect for the MSU student section when I heard that.

I feel that the barnyard would never stoop that low and has much more class than that. Brian Butch with a bra is good clean fun and should not be compared with making a personal attack on someone in front of thousands of people. That is junior high level of immaturity and I would be embarrassed to be an MSU fan if my student section was doing that.

The barnyard would never be creative enough to pull off that chant. We have a long ways to go.

If Colton was on an opposing team the first thing I would think to do is a "Pro-Act-ive!" chant. Why does everything have to be so politically correct these days??? Lighten up people. Colton's a big boy, he can handle it.

And really, don't blame me because no one else thought that Mike Tisdale looks like a turtle.

If Colton was on an opposing team the first thing I would think to do is a "Pro-Act-ive!" chant. Why does everything have to be so politically correct these days??? Lighten up people. Colton's a big boy, he can handle it.

I don't think political correctness has anything to do with this particular chant. If you would think to do that chant if he was on the other team and if Colton is a big boy and can handle it, why even do the chant in the first place? If he is a "big boy" and can handle it, obviously it won't effect his game at all so why do it? All student sections are exactly the same. Trying to be more clever than the other sections even if it means doing chants like these.

The word civilization begins with the word civil. The internet generation has so little sense of what is OK, what is not OK, that they can say it is OK, no matter what "it" is.

But, it is a generation thing as well. When I was young I would have had my head knocked off for being a pig, today........? The young people today think that they are part of the game and they can do whatever they want that enters their heads.

To quote Bill Clinton: "I did it for the worse possible reason, because I could."

Rude is just rude, no need to put lipstick on that pig.

So, you all you "old timers" that complain that the barn is no longer intimidating yelled "nice shot chap" at the opponents long ago? I'm not buying it.

I've always had a soft spot for the MSU student section... Back during the Miles Tarver era, they started the chant, "Tarver's Ugly"... and then they tricked him with the fake shot clock countdown, "forcing" him to shoot the ball with about 9 seconds left... And then they started chanting "Tarver's Stupid, clap-clap, clap-clap-clap". I've always thought that was an absolute classic, and have basically been jealous of them ever since. Our student section could use an influx of creativity. This one's a little more mean spirited, but I think these guys can handle it.

Top Bottom