A good read on Tubby's UM tenure

Easily the fairest thing I've read with regards to Tubby's tenure.

Take any team in the big ten and take the starting point guard out and then the backup point guard out and slide over a shooting guard to point and see where that team would be. Probably not doing so hot.

Great read. Again, it's sad that our major papers in town pay people to write tripe when there are people like PJS out there.

As I keep saying in Tubby hater thread after another...Tubby's record for 4 years will be better than any coach in Gopher HISTORY if we make the NCAAs. And its his firts four years...wait till we get to the second 4 where they are all his recruits running his system for 3-5 years.

While I wont agree with FOT regarding Wiscy's traditions vs ours...I will say this...we don't have a storied basketball tradition...we've had some good teams...but have NEVER had year in and out excellence...Tubby gives us what we have been missing...a chance to make the NCAAs every year.

How is this a good read? Anyone could have wrote this without following he program any closer than reading the headlines in the paper.

This article pretty much sums up everything I've been saying and feeling about our program for the past month or so. Great job by PJS.

Tubby is not above criticism, but he deserves to be treated fairly when the chips are down too.

This article pretty much sums up everything I've been saying and feeling about our program for the past month or so. Great job by PJS.

Tubby is not above criticism, but he deserves to be treated fairly when the chips are down too.

+1 It just bugs when fans instantly turn it into blaming the idiot columnist in the local paper. They write the way they do for entertainment and to play devils advocate.

As I keep saying in Tubby hater thread after another...Tubby's record for 4 years will be better than any coach in Gopher HISTORY if we make the NCAAs. And its his firts four years...wait till we get to the second 4 where they are all his recruits running his system for 3-5 years.

While I wont agree with FOT regarding Wiscy's traditions vs ours...I will say this...we don't have a storied basketball tradition...we've had some good teams...but have NEVER had year in and out excellence...Tubby gives us what we have been missing...a chance to make the NCAAs every year.

Tubby has the best record since Musselman. Not even close to Mussy's four year record. Three top three finishes in the Big Ten and one 8-8 finish. Today that's 3-4 NCAAs. Plus a Big Ten Champion. Nothing rivals that era in Gopher buckets. Many of the fans sitting in the stands today got hooked on Gopher hoops in the stretch.

Fair?

Quote: "Joseph's self-medication off court issues led to a transfer" (note: self medication should be crossed out but formatting is lost).

This is a Jim Souhan type line. If you have guts go on record and say Joseph was going to be suspended for smoking tree. You can not be sued if it is true. A line like this is most certainly not fair.

Tubby has the best record since Musselman. Not even close to Mussy's four year record. Three top three finishes in the Big Ten and one 8-8 finish. Today that's 3-4 NCAAs. Plus a Big Ten Champion. Nothing rivals that era in Gopher buckets. Many of the fans sitting in the stands today got hooked on Gopher hoops in the stretch.

You are correct about no one coming close to Musselman's time here. Musselman was by far the best coach we have had and most likely will ever have. The teams he put together were very good and some of the players were great. Too bad he cheated and bolted.

You are correct about no one coming close to Musselman's time here. Musselman was by far the best coach we have had and most likely will ever have. The teams he put together were very good and some of the players were great. Too bad he cheated and bolted.

The Barn was the place to be, and I enjoyed those years tremendously. However, I'm not sure you can call a guy who racked up over 120 violations and got us on probation, the best coach we have had.

Funny. The author says the losing streak allowed some "aged and divisive" Strib colunmists to take some "cheap shots." He then spends a good portion of his article taking cheap shots, mostly at Joseph of course--the favorite Gopherhole whipping boy--without offering a shred of evidence. He even got the facts of the transfer wrong, claiming Joseph transferred "after a 1-3 start" because he was "about to be suspended again." As we all know (well, all of us except the author and apparently some Gopherholers), Joseph transferred after the MSU game, at which point the Gophers were 0-2. By the way, at the time, Tubby Smith was quoted as follows: "Devoe wasn't at practice for the last couple of days but that's the only issues that we've had so far."

Furthermore, the author apparently believes wholeheartedly in using "speculation" regarding Joseph--which furthers his point, of course--but refuses to even mention the speculation that their was more to the Carter transfer than just his sister's unfortunate situation.

Anything can be spun, and this is just another spin job. No more, no less, and no better than Souhan's article.

Funny. The author says the losing streak allowed some "aged and divisive" Strib colunmists to take some "cheap shots." He then spends a good portion of his article taking cheap shots, mostly at Joseph of course--the favorite Gopherhole whipping boy--without offering a shred of evidence. He even got the facts of the transfer wrong, claiming Joseph transferred "after a 1-3 start" because he was "about to be suspended again." As we all know (well, all of us except the author and apparently some Gopherholers), Joseph transferred after the MSU game, at which point the Gophers were 0-2. By the way, at the time, Tubby Smith was quoted as follows: "Devoe wasn't at practice for the last couple of days but that's the only issues that we've had so far."

Furthermore, the author apparently believes wholeheartedly in using "speculation" regarding Joseph--which furthers his point, of course--but refuses to even mention the speculation that their was more to the Carter transfer than just his sister's unfortunate situation.

Anything can be spun, and this is just another spin job. No more, no less, and no better than Souhan's article.

Interestingly enough, and this may surprise you, it's not the poster's job to keep up on the local sports scene. He may do it, because he loves it, but he's not being paid to do so. Further, most posters don't have inside access to people in the program. Therefore, holding him to the same standard Souhan is held to might seem absurd to most people. And oddly enough, Souhan fails to live up to the standard set by about 90% of the posters on Gopherhole.

By the by, I'm sure you won't mind answering a quick question. You're related to Devoe, right? I know you're not Devoe, because you seem semi-literate. But you're his uncle or something, right? I've wracked my brain, and I can't think of any other reason why anybody would defend a gutless quitter other than the ties of blood.

Therefore, holding him to the same standard Souhan is held to might seem absurd to most people.

So you're claiming the article from "The Daily Gopher" wasn't even up to Souhan's standards?

That seems a bit harsh to me--after all, as you say the person's just a blogger, with no access to the program and all, so all his claims about players are pure speculation--but if you say so, I guess I'll have to defer to your obvious expertise in the area of low standards.

And no, I'm not related to Joseph. I don't even speak Canadian. //rim-shot//

By the way, it's semiliterate. No need for the hyphen.

Devoe vs Al:

Does anyone agree that if they were both here they would both be playing, along with Hoff, approx 35 miniutes per game. With Rodney's slow development I see no reason why Tubby would not once again use a '3 guard' line-up down the stretch and tournament time. That's the line-up we are missing.

Top Bottom