No Armelin

bga1

Reaction score
Injured? Or is he getting Bosticked?

The lineup on the floor was working.

Not a good idea to not keep a kid in the action who pretty much always stirs up positive energy on the court. Nice win, but this seems odd. Armelin played well on both ends for the 4-5 minutes he was on the floor. No turnovers, 2 boards, 2 points. Oh well.

I've said it before, but I honestly think he's in Tubby's dog house for some reason. He's the best that the gophers have at creating shots.

The more court time mav can see in non-pressure situations the better.

I've said it before, but I honestly think he's in Tubby's dog house for some reason. He's the best that the gophers have at creating shots.

Tubby has 8 scholarship players. There is no doghouse. Armelin has been getting 10-15 minutes PT and scoring 4-5 pts (most games, not all).

I have been hoping he could provide the type of surprise spark that Joseph provided down the stretch last year for us. I don't know if Tubby just doesn't like this kind of player or what the deal is.

Beej, then as long as you don't know, please take a break and enjoy tonight's win.

$hit, did we lose tonight?

As I said Don - nice win tonight..... we needed it badly. I want the Gophs to be the best squad we can be down the stretch, I think we'll need Armelin to do so.

I think Maverick took Chip's PT, Mav took a few baby steps forward today.

Yeah...I was asking the same question about Armelin but figured that since he likes to score and we really needed to hold the ball...plus Maverick needs to get minutes on the floor with Hoffarber if we are to have any chance at doing anything this year...he is our only PG.

I thought Mav played decent...glad to see Tubby leave him in even after he dribbled into the trees with 25 sec on shot clock when we were up by 15 and turned the ball over...need to build his confidence and use those as teaching moments.

I was interested to see Chip only had a handful of minutes, he seemed to be playing pretty well. I didn't see any glaring issues out there (except a couple missed block outs that Tubby seemed really ticked about).

Accept it, beej - it didn't turn out as you envisioned - it turned out better. We needed to work on a whole new offense, and it worked. Mav and hollins are ball handlers - Chip is not yet. Chip will get his minutes when we have an offense. Frankly, I am impressed. I didn't see much of a hope for fixing this team.

Zone = less Chip

Could it be that tubby wanted more length in the game because of the zone D they played all night?

Accept it, beej - it didn't turn out as you envisioned - it turned out better. We needed to work on a whole new offense, and it worked. Mav and hollins are ball handlers - Chip is not yet. Chip will get his minutes when we have an offense. Frankly, I am impressed. I didn't see much of a hope for fixing this team.

It was a good win.

Chip is a better ball handler than Mav- but Mav had a nice game tonight. And we need that. What Mav is- is a better outside shooter than Chip. I can see reasons for differing lineups- I can't figure a scenario with zero second half minutes for Armelin-no even mop up when we were up 20.

It was a good win.

Chip is a better ball handler than Mav- but Mav had a nice game tonight. And we need that. What Mav is- is a better outside shooter than Chip. I can see reasons for differing lineups- I can't figure a scenario with zero second half minutes for Armelin-no even mop up when we were up 20.

Chip is a better slasher/finisher, but I wouldn't call him a better ball handler.

Chip is a better slasher/finisher, but I wouldn't call him a better ball handler.
Agreed - he is a point guard which we are currently lacking. I'm not sure why the discussions here consistently ignore the difference between the roll of the PG & the SG.
Mav HAS to develop this year for us to succeed. I don't see the same urgency for Chip.

Agreed - he is a point guard which we are currently lacking. I'm not sure why the discussions here consistently ignore the difference between the roll of the PG & the SG.
Mav HAS to develop this year for us to succeed. I don't see the same urgency for Chip.

Chip is also a known quantity, and has plenty of confidence. Maverick needs to get better, and needs to know he can play better.

The only person responsible for "Bosticking" Bostick was Bostick. He was enigmatic, puzzling, and capable of a few offensive outbursts, but mostly unreliable on D and a major source of disappointment. I suspect Chip will be fine, Maybe there is more to it, but I doubt it.

Chip needs to improve his defense a ton before he sees more minutes.

man vs. boy

The only person responsible for "Bosticking" Bostick was Bostick. He was enigmatic, puzzling, and capable of a few offensive outbursts, but mostly unreliable on D and a major source of disappointment. I suspect Chip will be fine, Maybe there is more to it, but I doubt it.

But... Bostick was a man... Chip is a boy.

Chip is also a known quantity, and has plenty of confidence. Maverick needs to get better, and needs to know he can play better.

This does not make any sense to me. Both are known quantities at this point. We have seen a fair amount of playing time from both of them and know what they are both capable of. The only difference I see is that Chip is the one player on this team capable of taking the ball to the hole. Mav has played well at PG for a freshman, but Chip has showed more promise in my eyes.

Both are known quantities at this point. We have seen a fair amount of playing time from both of them and know what they are both capable of.

We have no idea what either one of them is capable of. We've only seen them play sparingly. I'll give you that we know the *style* of play they bring to the table. But not the ceiling.

Mav appears limited, but he surely may improve. He seems to have a pretty decent outside shot, in limited reps. Can he learn to handle pressure and move the ball? Can he continue to hit outside shots?

Chip is a tad wild, but plays with confidence and can get to the rack. Can he learn to finish? Or will he always be wild, never get the ball in the cup and be a turnover machine?

Whatever the answers, our very glaring need is now at PG. But there will be games - this past vs. Illinois comes to mind - where a couple drives to the rack AND THROUGH THE BASKET - could prove useful.

Even though they don't play the same position, I think Chip's minutes hinge on Rodney. If Rodney is playing well and getting to the hoop, there is not as much need for Armerlin. If RW is flat then Armerlin comes in for a spark.

Williams played well last night so less minutes for Chip.

Injured? Or is he getting Bosticked?

In the Illinois game Chip showed us how well he slashes to the basket. Unfortunately, he did not finish. In a couple of cases he tried to make the spectacular play but did not finish, and he missed a couple of point blank lay ups. He went 1 for 7. We can't win games like that.

Tubby stated he wanted a more patient offense. He got it last night without Chip. Chip has amazing potential. He is a great athlete that will contribute to this program for years to come. Perhaps sitting on the bench for most of the game last night was to help him to see what Tubby does want out of him now.

In the Illinois game Chip showed us how well he slashes to the basket. Unfortunately, he did not finish. In a couple of cases he tried to make the spectacular play but did not finish, and he missed a couple of point blank lay ups. He went 1 for 7. We can't win games like that.

Tubby stated he wanted a more patient offense. He got it last night without Chip. Chip has amazing potential. He is a great athlete that will contribute to this program for years to come. Perhaps sitting on the bench for most of the game last night was to help him to see what Tubby does want out of him now.

Perhaps...but I haven't seen Chip playing outside the offensive flow so don't know why Tubby would need to make a point. Chip had a tough game against Ill...but so did everyone else...I think Chip is Rodney's replacement...and since Rodney played well last night...less Chip. Austin seems to play more with Rodney and Chip without Rodney...so Austin's time seems more on how the bigs perform and Chip on how Rodney performs...Mav is based on how well Mav is performing...it seems.

Top Bottom