Why aren't we trying Maverick at the point?

ShowinGoldyLove

Reaction score
Now, I realize he's a freshman. However, he seems to have at least a decent skill set in being able to get the ball up the court, he's shooting a decent percentage, etc.?

The only problem I see are his turnovers, but in fairness to him, he often gets thrown into the game for 2-3 min at a time when he is still very cold off the bench, hasn't gotten into the flow of the game, and just looks out of sorts. If he gets more time, I think it'll build on his confidence. Look at the Michigan game; he got more minutes, took care of the ball for the most part, and was a solid contributor at the PG spot.

I don't think Armelin can handle the ball at the point, and Hollins just isn't a ball-handler. However, we recruited Maverick for the point guard spot, and I think we should at least let him try to run with it for more than 1-2 min at a time. Sure, there will be growing pains, but what other option do we have? Have Hoffarber get worn down for 39+ minutes again? We should get him back at the 2, and let Chip and Maverick trade time at the 1. If anything, why don't we try it for 10 min/game to see how it goes?

I think we need to switch something up here, because the guys out there are playing too many minutes in positions that they normally don't play (Williams, Hoffarber, etc.), and it's affecting our ability to be successful.

Ahanmisi isn't a B10 level basketball player, at least at this point. That probably has something to do with it.

Thursday night against Illinois, Maverick Ahanmisi played 15 of the first 31 minutes of the game before riding pine during the final nine.
- When he entered the game, Minnesota was never trailing
- When he left the game, Minnesota was always trailing by at least four points
- 15 minutes with Mav: Illinois 30, Minnesota 13
- 16 minutes without: Minnesota 32, Illinois 21

Pregame Thoughts: at Iowa 2/13/11

He still has a confidence problem from the flat spin that got Goose killed.

:eek: Maybe it's because Maverick is complete garbage! Have you seen him play??? He looks like a high school freshman out there! Are you kidding me??? If we play Maverick 30 mins at pg, he gets 10 turnovers and we get blown out of the gym. Terrible suggestion!

Shut your mouth stupid. Yeah, that's you Jibrah. Are you serious? He is playing in the big-ten as a true freshman. Would it have been nice for him to red-shirt and have a chance to work on his game? Of course it would have. It pisses me off when people keeping talking sh!t about a player when that player gets thrown into the fire before they are ready. You coming in here and dogging on Mav is making you look like an idiot. Grow up or shut your f*****! mouth. He is still a Gopher after all and therefore he is still one of the good guys.

P.S. If we still would have had Cobbs, I wonder how much he would have helped us out this year after a year adjusting to his surroundings and improving as a player

Ooops, you missed addressing a very important sat (sic) -- as a freshman asked to do little on offense other than take care of the ball, turnovers can't be ignored...

Taylor... 1.6 turnovers/40 minutes
Ahanmisi.. 4.7 turnovers/40 minutes

About the only thing those two have in common is that neither will be a top 10 finalist for the Cousy in their junior year.

Hoffarber is worthless as a point guard slow, lousy defender the whole team plays like they don't know what they are doin

Hoffarber is worthless as a point guard slow, lousy defender the whole team plays like they don't know what they are doin

I don't think we're watching the same games, then... Hoff may not be a super athletic defender, but he's fundamentally sound and is arguably the only defender out there who seems to understand things like rotation, etc. Plus, he rebounds.

Also, Hoff is not as good of a PG as Nolen, obviously, but "worthless" is way too far.

Ooops, you missed addressing a very important sat (sic) -- as a freshman asked to do little on offense other than take care of the ball, turnovers can't be ignored...

About the only thing those two have in common is that neither will be a top 10 finalist for the Cousy in their junior year.

Taylor had a subpar (so-so, pick your own words) freshman year at Wisky.

Here http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/Players/Warford_Reggie.html is a player who was TERRIBLE for 3 years, then did very well as a senior.

It can happen. It doesn't often.

Top Bottom