Ruesse on Tubby's comments

I agree that telling Hoff to change his game like that is bad coaching advice. That's how you screw a player up. Have to ask how many other players are getting questionable guidance.

Telling a player to add more to his game is bad coaching? :eek: I disagree STRONGLY.

Lets tell Trevor to stop practicing free throw's, it might screw him up. Better tell Al to stop practicing that jump shot, just bad coaching advice.

I sure hope Hakeem gets in trouble for teaching Kobe Bryant post moves. I mean, that screwed him up very badly. I mean, the guy is a guard!!! Post moves aren't a part of his game.

Wouldn't want Blake to add a pump fake or a drive to his game, that's just crazy talk!

We complain Tubby doesn't improve players, then complain when he suggests things for them to improve on. What sense does that make? Just because Blake shoots 3's well, does that mean he should add nothing else??

Rodney jumps really well. Lets not screw him up by adding a jump shot or anything.

Telling a player to add more to his game is bad coaching?
Not really adding more to his game. He not only talked about a pump fake, but he lamented his shot selection more than anything else, saying that it was basically the reason for the loss (which IMO, was pretty off). I can't really remember any shots where I thought Hoffarber was firing when he normally wouldn't, and where he normally shoots a high percentage. If you know anything about true shooters, you should know that you NEVER make them start second-guessing themselves on their shots; their absolute confidence in their shot is often what makes them successful.

The pump fake really isn't as big of a deal as going off about Hoffarber's shots. I can't think of a player in the past 6-7 years who takes more shots within his rhythm and within the offense than him. And put it this way, who else are we going to have shoot those shots this year if it isn't Hoffarber?

I'm fine with him shooting even some questionable shots, he has to now. Hoffarber has a higher likelihood of making those "tough" shots than our other guards when they're wide open after we've worked for a great shot 30 seconds in on the shot clock.

What Smith is saying is that Hoffarber doesn't have Nolen or Joseph to create shots for him. If he is going to get them he is going to have to do something that generates them himself. Why is that bad coaching.

Seems pretty obvious to me.

What Smith is saying is that Hoffarber doesn't have Nolen or Joseph to create shots for him. If he is going to get them he is going to have to do something that generates them himself. Why is that bad coaching.
Which is where most appear to disagree with you. The shots he took weren't bad shots, or at least, shots that were any different than he's taken over the past 3 years. The end result may have been different (because he missed a majority of them), but they weren't bad shots, at least not for him.

Telling a player to add more to his game is bad coaching? :eek: I disagree STRONGLY.

Lets tell Trevor to stop practicing free throw's, it might screw him up. Better tell Al to stop practicing that jump shot, just bad coaching advice.

I sure hope Hakeem gets in trouble for teaching Kobe Bryant post moves. I mean, that screwed him up very badly. I mean, the guy is a guard!!! Post moves aren't a part of his game.

Wouldn't want Blake to add a pump fake or a drive to his game, that's just crazy talk!

We complain Tubby doesn't improve players, then complain when he suggests things for them to improve on. What sense does that make? Just because Blake shoots 3's well, does that mean he should add nothing else??

Rodney jumps really well. Lets not screw him up by adding a jump shot or anything.

I'm presuming you read the linked article. Reusse makes the point that Blake's strength is getting shots off. Asking him to pump fake and get fouled goes counter to his game; it doesn't add to it. I thought that was a good point. You have to play to your players' strengths, not try to change them around - like telling David Ortiz to become a slap hitter (which Tom Kelly tried to do).

So when can we expect Sampson to play like a "man"? I think I saw a glimpse or two of that the second half against the Illini. I can't stand it when RS gets the ball down low. The game stops for a second or two as Ralph looks for an outlet. Take the damn ball to the hoop Ralph!!!!!!! Or Rodney for that matter? A lot of Minnesota fans are too soft and so are some of Tubby's players. Chip has stepped up and no one questions Trevors approach to the game. Same with Iver.

Hoff can take the jabs. I hope Tubby gets the message to the players that Hoff needs to put it up at least 15 times/game and he needs help from his mates to get that done. And Tubby is right. Hoff needs to focus on getting to the line more often. He is averaging just 4 FT's the past four games and I think some of those may have been shooting technicals. Tubby knows Hoff can be more agressive with the ball even though its not his strength. But he is better at that then in year past.

Same with Trevor. Tubby is right that he needs more touches. That is on Tubby too as well as the players.

So this is show and tell time folks. The players have shown they are soft, are not playing up to snuff and Tubby is letting the world know. Toughen up people.

Williams has remained an erratic, wide-eyed pup in his second season, and Iverson seems to be going through his second annual, middle-of-the-Big Ten-schedule slump.

Sampson takes much criticism for being soft, but for me, he's a player that has kept getting better. I agree with Smith's prior remarks that Ralph the Third will have a significant NBA career.

The No. 1 postgame surprise was when Smith went frontal against Hoffarber. The lefty had a poor shooting night _ notably, 3-for-10 on threes. Tubby said that Hoffarber should have been using a ball fake to draw fouls, rather than to keep firing threes.

This is a three-point shooter with both a spectacular track record of accuracy and with a release so quick it could get him off-the-bench work in the NBA. And now Hoffarber shouldn't be taking those threes when they arrive, even though he is always the Next One Going In from being off on a streak, because there was a theoretical possibility of drawing a foul?

____

Forget drawing a foul, keep shooting.

Has Ralph continued to get better? I don't see it. He is getting more minutes and taking more shots, but I see little improvement. Don't get me wrong he's our best option at center and having a decent year, I just haven't seem much improvement from the last two season. Seems like the same player with a big roll.

"In college basketball, you win with guards,'' Dutcher said. "And we had Trent Tucker and Darryl Mitchell playing the best of their careers as seniors.''

Nearly three decades later, the Gophers are on a four-game losing streak, and it's not because of effort. They are losing because they don't have Nolen, they don't have Joseph and are left with one competent guard in Hoffarber, and he's now being second-guessed by a coach that wants him to be a player that he's not.

I hate to admit it, but Ruesse is dead on. The reason for the losing streak is the loss of Nolen & Joseph, plain and simple.

"In college basketball, you win with guards,'' Dutcher said. "And we had Trent Tucker and Darryl Mitchell playing the best of their careers as seniors.''

Nearly three decades later, the Gophers are on a four-game losing streak, and it's not because of effort. They are losing because they don't have Nolen, they don't have Joseph and are left with one competent guard in Hoffarber, and he's now being second-guessed by a coach that wants him to be a player that he's not.

I hate to admit it, but Ruesse is dead on. The reason for the losing streak is the loss of Nolen & Joseph, plain and simple.

What a profound statement on the part of Ruesse! I never would have come up with that one.

So when will RS finally show his NBA talents? With his current deameanor the NBA bigs will own him. He plays like he is 6-5 and the game freezes when he has the ball. He lacks his dads instincts and agressiveness.

Is it asking too much of such talented players as RS and RW to step to fill the void? Tubby has every reason to be upset. Hoff and TM, for the most part, is doing much more than his part but he can't do it alone.

I'm presuming you read the linked article. Reusse makes the point that Blake's strength is getting shots off. Asking him to pump fake and get fouled goes counter to his game; it doesn't add to it. I thought that was a good point. You have to play to your players' strengths, not try to change them around - like telling David Ortiz to become a slap hitter (which Tom Kelly tried to do).

C'mon man, you think you might be embellishing things just slightly on that comment? Geez.

or telling a 6-5 guard to play in the post?

I sure hope they fire Phil Jackson and send Hakeem to Antartica. How dare they try and change someones game!

Who knew a pump fake was so complicated and difficult. I wonder if JJ Redick or Mike Miller ever used a pump fake?

Tubby isn't telling Blake, stop shooting and only pump fake, never actually releasing the ball. You need to keep the defense honest. A shot fake forces them to play looser defense on you and racks up their foul count. Giving Blake MORE open 3's.

Did you ever hear the story of Ortiz in batting practice getting badgered by Kelly to slap it the other way? Ortiz got fed up and shot back, "Oh, you want me to swing like a pussy!?!" That pretty much got him in the doghouse. Yes, believe it or not, players get questionable coaching once in a while. Ortiz was much better off when he got into a situation that didn't try to coach him away from his strengths.

C'mon man, you think you might be embellishing things just slightly on that comment? Geez.

Did you ever hear the story of Ortiz in batting practice getting badgered by Kelly to drive it the other way? Ortiz got fed up and shot back, "Oh, you want me to swing like a pussy!?!" That pretty much got him in the doghouse. Yes, believe it or not, players get questionable coaching once in a while. Ortiz was much better off when he got into a situation that didn't try to coach him away from his strengths.

There, I fixed it for you.

So, just to clarify, Reusse would have liked Tubby to say yup, we all suck now, we don't expect our guys to play better because we won't win anyway? I'm sure he wouldn't criticize that kind of statement.

Top Bottom