Shooter: Chip is PG of future, Esposito has lost 60lbs, GaTech may go after Tubby

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sunday Shooter:

"Gophers point guard of the future: freshman Chip Armelin."

"ssistant Gophers men's basketball coach Joe Esposito has lost 60 pounds, by design, since September. In addition to a low-carbohydrate diet, Esposito uses a pedometer to make sure he takes 10,000 steps a day (about 4.5 miles).

Since he began his weight-loss workouts, Esposito has dropped his cholesterol count from 267 to 131 and his blood pressure from 187/90 to 114/70. His goal is to lose 100 pounds."

"Here we go again: Word is Georgia Tech could be interested in Gophers men's basketball coach Tubby Smith after this season, when Smith will no longer have a payback penalty in his contract if he were to leave."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_17373788?nclick_check=1

Go Gophers!!

Chip will never play >10 min/game at PG his entire Gopher career, and I'm willing to put a good chunk of money on it.

RE: the rest of the article, eh.

Yeah Chip is definitely not the point guard of the future. Not taking a shot at him, I think he has a bright future here, I just don't think it's at point guard.

per Sunday Shooter:

"Gophers point guard of the future: freshman Chip Armelin."

"ssistant Gophers men's basketball coach Joe Esposito has lost 60 pounds, by design, since September. In addition to a low-carbohydrate diet, Esposito uses a pedometer to make sure he takes 10,000 steps a day (about 4.5 miles).

Since he began his weight-loss workouts, Esposito has dropped his cholesterol count from 267 to 131 and his blood pressure from 187/90 to 114/70. His goal is to lose 100 pounds."

"Here we go again: Word is Georgia Tech could be interested in Gophers men's basketball coach Tubby Smith after this season, when Smith will no longer have a payback penalty in his contract if he were to leave."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_17373788?nclick_check=1

Go Gophers!!

Congrats to Esposito on the weight loss. Good 4 him.

Yeah Chip is definitely not the point guard of the future. Not taking a shot at him, I think he has a bright future here, I just don't think it's at point guard.
That's what I meant. I think Chip could end up being a player; I love his skill set...slasher, gets to the rim, not afraid to take a big shot, etc. However, he's more suited to the off-guard spot instead of the point. If he can just get his 3's up to a decent percentage, he could be really dangerous in the next couple of years.

Seriuosly...has Shooter watched a game this year or seen Armelin play? What a f*cking idiot...the Twin Cities has the absolute worst coverage of college sports of anywhere in the country.

Hell, even Dallas and Philly...notorious pro-team towns manage to cover college athletics with a little bit of knowledge and integrity.

I understand why the morons and at the PP and STrib that are primarily pro guys getting it wrong almost everytime...I just don't know why the editors don't reject their idiocy...but for the college beat writers that can't find thier ass with two hands and a map...makes no sense.

And the radio dinks are the worse...anytime you can say something that makes Mark Rosen look smart...you have said something really stupid...and thats what you get everyday on ESPN radio about the Gophers.

I actually think these guys don't ask these questions at press conferences because they know that Tubby or Kill would just laugh in their faces...so they just write it and forget it. These guys are the Ronco of sports coverage...say anything to sell a paper or get a click and then forget it like it never happened.

Seriously, Armelin at PG...definately a last man standing option. Love his game...as a 2, but he pratically loses the ball coming up court on every possession...might as well put Rodney at point...difficult to understand.

60 year old coaches aren't a hot commodity in the coaching circles. We've got him, he's run into some bad luck but we'll be alright. georgia tech will hire a coach but there will be a lot of hot names out there this spring. i heard sid say that georgia tech is a better job than MN. Are you kidding me sid. he's obviously never been to thier arena, their campus or been to any of thier games. even when they are good they don't draw. nice city, great weather but mn has more basketball tradition than georgia tech.

60 year old coaches aren't a hot commodity in the coaching circles. We've got him, he's run into some bad luck but we'll be alright. georgia tech will hire a coach but there will be a lot of hot names out there this spring. i heard sid say that georgia tech is a better job than MN. Are you kidding me sid. he's obviously never been to thier arena, their campus or been to any of thier games. even when they are good they don't draw. nice city, great weather but mn has more basketball tradition than georgia tech.

Ga Tech has a coach.

Sometimes I wonder how much time people like Reusse, Walters and Souhan have spent watching Gopher basketball this season. It has be under two hours combined.

Seriuosly...has Shooter watched a game this year or seen Armelin play? What a f*cking idiot...the Twin Cities has the absolute worst coverage of college sports of anywhere in the country.

Hell, even Dallas and Philly...notorious pro-team towns manage to cover college athletics with a little bit of knowledge and integrity.

I understand why the morons and at the PP and STrib that are primarily pro guys getting it wrong almost everytime...I just don't know why the editors don't reject their idiocy...but for the college beat writers that can't find thier ass with two hands and a map...makes no sense.

And the radio dinks are the worse...anytime you can say something that makes Mark Rosen look smart...you have said something really stupid...and thats what you get everyday on ESPN radio about the Gophers.

I actually think these guys don't ask these questions at press conferences because they know that Tubby or Kill would just laugh in their faces...so they just write it and forget it. These guys are the Ronco of sports coverage...say anything to sell a paper or get a click and then forget it like it never happened.

Seriously, Armelin at PG...definately a last man standing option. Love his game...as a 2, but he pratically loses the ball coming up court on every possession...might as well put Rodney at point...difficult to understand.

Where does this idea come from that Armelin can't handle the ball?

If he practically loses the ball every time up court- he must be a magician because he gets it back every time. He has 14 turnovers in 264 minutes. And he's doing that while taking more hcances with the ball than most players on team- driving to the basket is usually high risk in terms of turnovers. By comparison Ahanmisi has had 22 turnovers in about 200 minutes. Armelin's turnovers per minute played are right in the range of Nolen's numbers and lower per minute by a fair amount than Devoe Joseph had. He's not a natural point guard but he handles the ball well and might be our best option under the current circumstances. Playing Hoff at the point hurts us at two positions.

Top Bottom