Tubby Smith

PapaHawk21

Reaction score
I have been reading the criticism of Tubby Smith and the Gopher basketball team on this board for the last two weeks. The team is struggling right now because of defections and the overall strength of the Big Ten. It honestly amazes me that many Gopher fans are ripping Smith and this team so much. As an Iowa fan, times have been brutal the last few years and I haven't been this excited about Iowa basketball since 2006 and the Hawks are 10-14 (3-9). The year before Tubby arrived the Gopher program was in a state of decrepitude and due to Tubby Smith this team is now a consistent tournament/bubble team, and that is saying something considering where this program has been during many below average decades. I would be thrilled if Tubby Smith was at Iowa or if the Hawkeyes were where the Gophers are now. Sometimes, I feel like people in this forum forget how bad it was before Tubby arrived. That being said, good luck tomorrow. This should be one of the better games in the series in a few years (for the Hawekeyes at least haha).

I have been reading the criticism of Tubby Smith and the Gopher basketball team on this board for the last two weeks. The team is struggling right now because of defections and the overall strength of the Big Ten. It honestly amazes me that many Gopher fans are ripping Smith and this team so much. As an Iowa fan, times have been brutal the last few years and I haven't been this excited about Iowa basketball since 2006 and the Hawks are 10-14 (3-9). The year before Tubby arrived the Gopher program was in a state of decrepitude and due to Tubby Smith this team is now a consistent tournament/bubble team, and that is saying something considering where this program has been during many below average decades. I would be thrilled if Tubby Smith was at Iowa or if the Hawkeyes were where the Gophers are now. Sometimes, I feel like people in this forum forget how bad it was before Tubby arrived. That being said, good luck tomorrow. This should be one of the better games in the series in a few years (for the Hawekeyes at least haha).

Gophers have 4 B10 championships since The Barn opened in 1920's. And 1 FF since NCAA tourney started in 1939.

Gopher fans have higher expectations than that. And rightly so.

Gophers have 4 B10 championships since The Barn opened in 1920's. And 1 FF since NCAA tourney started in 1939.

Gopher fans have higher expectations than that. And rightly so.

It's not Tubby Smith's fault the Gophers have not had more success historically or that the 1990s success was erased due to cheating. He has made this program more competitive and won over 20 games every season. It may be a shock, but it is going to take longer for Minnesota to move into the upper echelon of the Big Ten. Tubby can get the job done, imo.

They key to this is that a lot of the people on the forum are really stupid.

It's not Tubby Smith's fault the Gophers have not had more success historically or that the 1990s success was erased due to cheating. He has made this program more competitive and won over 20 games every season. It may be a shock, but it is going to take longer for Minnesota to move into the upper echelon of the Big Ten. Tubby can get the job done, imo.

Didn't say it was his fault. Gopher results over 80 years are very subpar. Gopher fans should expect more.

I take it as a significant red flag when an obviously sharp rival fan "endorses" our head coach.

I take it as a significant red flag when an obviously sharp rival fan "endorses" our head coach.

Tubby Smith has proven his capabilities as a Head Coach. If anything, I would enjoy seeing him leave Minnesota so the Hawkeyes would have a better chance haha.

Top Bottom