Tubby has alot of nerve

Doc1001

Reaction score
ripping Hoffarber for taking too many bad shots. Blake is smart enough to realize NO ONE else can make a stinking outside shot on the team so he has to take some chances. And he is playing out of position on top of it. I can think of many players that deserved to get ripped but Hoffarber is not one of them to get it like that.

Possibly he thinks Hoffarber can take it and use it as motivation, I am not going to second guess Tubby's ability to know his players and what makes them tick.

If we are resorting to calling out players in public for motivation, we have huge problems.

No one is immune from criticism the way the team is performing. Well, maybe Trevor based on the Illini game but he was subpar the past few games.

This team has to shoot better, make FT's and take better care of the ball. That doesn't mean they will.

I agree with Doc on this one. Hoffarber would be the last guy I would (publicly) call to the carpet. I'll live with a few bad or forced shots from Blake because he's the only guy we have on the team who can make a shot outside of 15 feet. But like someone else pointed out, I'm sure Tubby knows Blake can take the heat.

After reading that in the Strib today, it appeared to be a lack of maturity on Tubby's part.

What's weird is that when we win, it's Tubby's coaching. When we lose, he throws the players under the bus (all players (except for Hoffarber, our leading scorer and assist leader), that he himself recruited).

I understand trying to motivate players, however, calling Hoffarber out like he did seems a little bit bizarre:

1) Tubby, due to transfers, injuries, and a lack of recruiting on is part, is forcing a kid who has never played PG to get thrown into the spot in the middle of the Big 10 season, playing 38-40 min/game against some of the best PG's not only in the Big 10, but the country. Picture it differently, if Hoffarber went down, we had a viable PG, and Tubby said to Al Nolen "Okay Al, I don't care that you're a PG, you've always been a PG, and we recruited you as a PG...we don't have a SG, so I'm going to need to move you there to hit a number of shots at a good percentage. I don't care if you've never done it before, just learn, and learn quick."

2) The player, due to a lack of rest & hustle against OSU, busts his knee and is questionable for the IL game last night.

3) Obviously exhausted out there from defending and busting through 400 screens on defense while defending McCamey, not only has to play the part of the PG, but SG too, because we have no one else that can shoot.

4) Our team, outside of Hoffarber, is shooting less than 25% from 3 this year, and as evidenced by last night, has NO ONE that can consistently make a jump shot or score.

5) Hoffarber, playing on an injured knee, 35+ min the past 15 games, scores 15 while attempting to take shots he normally hit, but seemed to be exhausted and short on the majority of them, still looked like he was playing hard on D, boxing out, and trying to keep our team in the game.

Yet, Tubby decides to call him out because he didn't make a pump fake with 50 secs left in the game down 8? Not only that, he cites the team cancer of Westbrook and resident toker Bostick as shining beacons of previous senior leadership?

I don't know if he was having a senior moment last night or what...but at some point, Tubby really needs to get himself together, not only for our team's sake, but his own. He doesn't appear to be a HoF with these kinds of strange tirades, and actually appears quite childish.

Agreed! Hoffarber was just off last night...I didn't mind any of his shots.

I agree with Doc on this one. Hoffarber would be the last guy I would (publicly) call to the carpet. I'll live with a few bad or forced shots from Blake because he's the only guy we have on the team who can make a shot outside of 15 feet.

+19

I'll take Hoff putting up a 3 with a defender all over him as opposed to anyone else shooting an open 3.

No one is immune from criticism the way the team is performing. Well, maybe Trevor based on the Illini game but he was subpar the past few games.

This team has to shoot better, make FT's and take better care of the ball. That doesn't mean they will.

Trevor had a good game, that is it, anybody that says Hoffarber had a good game isn't facing reality. The problem is that Hoffarber has limitations, teams know how to cover him, in the Big Ten down the stretch he just isn't as effective. It was the same thing last year, this year there just isn't anyone to take over.

The problem is that Hoffarber has limitations

Everyone on the team has limitations slappy.

Pound the ball to Trevor, why can't we get him shots in the second half?

Tubby may regret some of the things he spouted off about this morning, seemed damn near childish.

i thought Blake was more open on the 3 of the misses down the stretch than he was on some of the makes earlier. A couple were a couple feet behind the line but if two feet behind the line gives a shooter two feet of space from his defender it us usally a better shot. The problem I see was after playing a lot of minutes on a bad leg,the shots were all just a bit short, like the legs weren't there. I have no problem with Blake forcing up a few jumpers. And he does curl around a screen for a 15footer this year, he has added some things but it is hard to be the only threat on the floor besides a dunk.

I am sure Blake can take the heat... he is that kind of player and guy... he will play harder and do even MORE than he already is... on a hurt knee... but you can see it when he plays... Tubby has lost him. Blake has "bought into the system", and is doing everything he can to make it happen... but not so sure Tubby has his heart/respect... something

Blake has made a lot of "bad" shots, then

If Blake's smart, he'll use this as motivation. Everyone already knows he's a great player, it's not like calling him out for taking some bad shots is gonna hurt him or his standing on the team. Fact is, with the things that have occurred this year, we need Blake at his best, and he wasn't last night, specifically shooting the ball. It's not even necessarily of any fault of his own, it's just the circumstances have drastically altered things right now. He's a senior, so he's going to be counted on to do the most.

And yeah, he definitely could use a pump fake or two to clear space or get a foul. When he's on fire, keep bombing away. But when you're struggling a little bit, go ahead and give that little fake, try to get some easier shots in the mid range game or get some easy points at the line. To be fair to him though, a lot of shooters have the mentality of just keep firing away, so I'm not gonna get on him for that.

After reading that in the Strib today, it appeared to be a lack of maturity on Tubby's part.

What's weird is that when we win, it's Tubby's coaching. When we lose, he throws the players under the bus (all players (except for Hoffarber, our leading scorer and assist leader), that he himself recruited).

I understand trying to motivate players, however, calling Hoffarber out like he did seems a little bit bizarre:

1) Tubby, due to transfers, injuries, and a lack of recruiting on is part, is forcing a kid who has never played PG to get thrown into the spot in the middle of the Big 10 season, playing 38-40 min/game against some of the best PG's not only in the Big 10, but the country. Picture it differently, if Hoffarber went down, we had a viable PG, and Tubby said to Al Nolen "Okay Al, I don't care that you're a PG, you've always been a PG, and we recruited you as a PG...we don't have a SG, so I'm going to need to move you there to hit a number of shots at a good percentage. I don't care if you've never done it before, just learn, and learn quick."

2) The player, due to a lack of rest & hustle against OSU, busts his knee and is questionable for the IL game last night.

3) Obviously exhausted out there from defending and busting through 400 screens on defense while defending McCamey, not only has to play the part of the PG, but SG too, because we have no one else that can shoot.

4) Our team, outside of Hoffarber, is shooting less than 25% from 3 this year, and as evidenced by last night, has NO ONE that can consistently make a jump shot or score.

5) Hoffarber, playing on an injured knee, 35+ min the past 15 games, scores 15 while attempting to take shots he normally hit, but seemed to be exhausted and short on the majority of them, still looked like he was playing hard on D, boxing out, and trying to keep our team in the game.

Yet, Tubby decides to call him out because he didn't make a pump fake with 50 secs left in the game down 8? Not only that, he cites the team cancer of Westbrook and resident toker Bostick as shining beacons of previous senior leadership?

I don't know if he was having a senior moment last night or what...but at some point, Tubby really needs to get himself together, not only for our team's sake, but his own. He doesn't appear to be a HoF with these kinds of strange tirades, and actually appears quite childish.

As I posted on another thread.

With everything that is on Hoff's plate right now I don't think he really had time to sit at his desk and go through his notes.

Think about what Hoff really goes through playing pg.
1. Not his natural position.
2. With Al or Devoe they had the quickness to get by defender(backcourt, midcourt or even perimeter) and be left not closely guarded. Teams knew that and more often than not they could bring the ball up the court not even being defended.
3. Everytime Hoff touches the ball he has someone 'glued' to him. That has to be a huge energy drain, especially playing 35+ miniutes a game and still trying be one of our few scoring threats.

Every shot Blake took was a good look, he just couldn't hit many. His passing is another story.

ripping Hoffarber for taking too many bad shots. Blake is smart enough to realize NO ONE else can make a stinking outside shot on the team so he has to take some chances. And he is playing out of position on top of it. I can think of many players that deserved to get ripped but Hoffarber is not one of them to get it like that.

+10000000

I'd rather have a Hoffarber forced three-pointer early in the shot clock (only time where he can even get an open look) than the following options:
1) Blake and Hollins harassed 30 feet from the basket and commit a turnover while trying desperately to dribble in the paint
2) A Sampson/Iverson sweeping hook shot
3) Rodney attempting anything outside of a dunk
4) Ahanmisi trying to be a playmaker
5) Anyone else on the team taking a wide-open three at any point in the possession

The area I see Blake being rippable for is his persistence on throwing bad outlet passes to guys who aren't used to/want to play the transition game. It has led to a lot of deflections/turnovers.

Hoff didn't have time to sit at his desk and go through his notes? Notes on what? I don't get it.

Figure of speech.

Hoff getting ripped for not using a pump fake. With everything that Hoff is forced to handle in a unnatural position sometimes you just react. Playing 35 miniutes plus out of position he might have a lot on his mind and just reacts to what he always done.

Not a great explanation but the best I could do.

Blake should have been providing assists not just more jump shots.

i thought Blake was more open on the 3 of the misses down the stretch than he was on some of the makes earlier. A couple were a couple feet behind the line but if two feet behind the line gives a shooter two feet of space from his defender it us usally a better shot. The problem I see was after playing a lot of minutes on a bad leg,the shots were all just a bit short, like the legs weren't there. I have no problem with Blake forcing up a few jumpers. And he does curl around a screen for a 15footer this year, he has added some things but it is hard to be the only threat on the floor besides a dunk.

Totally agree. I can only think of one or maybe two shots he shouldn't have taken. Especially on a night when nothing was falling for anyone else, go ahead and shoot. Heck, if there was a problem last night, it was players being too tentative - passing up a good shot or a chance to drive and instead working the offense for what turned out to be an inferior shot. I worry that Tubby's criticism will only make the players more tentative.

People ask what's happened to Rodney. To varying extent, it's happened to them all. They're nowhere near as confident and aggressive as they were earlier in the season.

Hoff didn't take a bad shot last night. He just missed. The nerve.

If anything, he should be shooting more. He needs to play with more of a Jimmer Fredette mentality and start gunning. Because honestly, it's our only hope, and he'll make more than he misses.

I am tired of making excuses for Tubby for these past two years. He is the coach and the recruiter. He is responsible for the product on the floor. For year 4, he is not getting it done. He needs to take a look in the mirror and realize maybe his ways of doing things, while once very successful, are not working as well anymore. College basketball has changed, and the number one thing needed is shooters. We have one shooter and we rip on him? OK, Tubs.

People ask what's happened to Rodney. To varying extent, it's happened to them all. They're nowhere near as confident and aggressive as they were earlier in the season.[/QUOTE]

I think that is what Tubby did to Devron Bostick also.

with Rodney he has always been very self critical of his game. That is one of the things I was told in passing by one of his AAU coaches, was that he would get down on himself pretty easily. Combine that with the Tubby stare and the quick hook and I don't see his self-esteem getting much higher.
I actually liked Rodney's aggressiveness in trying to get to the rim and a couple times he got an outlet pass at half court and tried to attack-- of course the results were turnovers and blocked shots and missed dunks, but the thought was there

Tubby is trying to salvage the season and he knows with more of the same kind of soft play they will not win another game. He needs them to fight and they are feeling sorry for themselves at the moment, that does not help, even if they have had bad breaks.
Fairness in everything he says is not his objective, overcoming bad breaks, and achieving despite those breaks is his goal. That is who he is, and that is what we pay him for. If they need to be po'd at him to scrap, then he is doing exactly what he should do. Blake is a senior captain and a really smart kid, I doubt he is breaking down over the criticism. In fact he probably knows Tubby is right more than we do. If you want to be in a leadership position then when your team fails you fail, that includes the captains not just the coach.
Tubby seems to be at his best when he is really annoyed. Should be intersting to watch.

Tubby is trying to salvage the season and he knows with more of the same kind of soft play they will not win another game. He needs them to fight and they are feeling sorry for themselves at the moment, that does not help, even if they have had bad breaks.
Fairness in everything he says is not his objective, overcoming bad breaks, and achieving despite those breaks is his goal. That is who he is, and that is what we pay him for. If they need to be po'd at him to scrap, then he is doing exactly what he should do. Blake is a senior captain and a really smart kid, I doubt he is breaking down over the criticism. In fact he probably knows Tubby is right more than we do. If you want to be in a leadership position then when your team fails you fail, that includes the captains not just the coach.
Tubby seems to be at his best when he is really annoyed. Should be intersting to watch.

+1. This team is about at the same point now as it was when it lost at NW on Valentines Day last year. Tubby pulled it out of the ditch. Can he do it again without a PG but with a slightly easier schedule? If so, he really is the master.

Not sure if anyone else heard the WCCO postgame interview with Tubby, but Spencer asked him how he would handle the guys' confidence and whether he would back off at all after losing 4 straight. Tubby responded with something along the lines of "we tried to back off the past couple days, but that didn't work so I guess we'll have to try something else". Thought it was an interesting comment, and it seems like calling guys out is Tubby's last ditch effort to salvage the season.

I don't think anyone is saying Tubby shouldn't criticize the players. Doing it in the press is the question.

People ask what's happened to Rodney. To varying extent, it's happened to them all. They're nowhere near as confident and aggressive as they were earlier in the season

I think that is what Tubby did to Devron Bostick also.

with Rodney he has always been very self critical of his game. That is one of the things I was told in passing by one of his AAU coaches, was that he would get down on himself pretty easily. Combine that with the Tubby stare and the quick hook and I don't see his self-esteem getting much higher.
I actually liked Rodney's aggressiveness in trying to get to the rim and a couple times he got an outlet pass at half court and tried to attack-- of course the results were turnovers and blocked shots and missed dunks, but the thought was there

The issue with Rodney, IMO, is his decision making (which is probably related to confidence) he catches the ball, holds it, and thinks about what he should do.

He needs to have it in his head before he catches the ball or as soon as he does catch it what he is going to do. Decide if he thinks someone will be open for a pass, decide if he is going to drive, or decide if he is going to shoot. He always hesitates. He will be a much better and more effective player if he gets some confidence.

Sometimes you just need to say, enough with the "Tubby-stare" he can stare at me all he wants. I am confidently making the play (whether it is a pass or a shot) and I am going to make what I think is the right play and not worry about if I get pulled or not. If he pulls me, fine, at least I got pulled giving it everything I had and not get pulled for being tenative and unsure resulting in turnovers, fast breaks, and broken plays. Just be confident and be smart.

Top Bottom