The offense....

Reaction score
16 first half points.

Here is my laundry list of things that I see wrong with the offense.

We take too long getting into our sets.
Notice how fast after a made basket MSU gets the ball up the court? Notice how we let the defense get set EVERY time.​
Our off-ball screens are highly ineffective.
The know where we are going. Every time its a screen with a cut straight up the court. Our momentum is always away from the basket. There are no curls, no fades, no backdoors.​
Our on-ball screens are highly ineffective.
They are just plain bad. See the following comments as to why.​
Our screen angles are ineffective.
Angle is ALWAYS perpendicular to the basket, meaning our ball handling isn't running/dribbling in a direction that makes him an offensive threat in any way.​
Our screeners don't roll.
What MSU's big men hedge before the screen is ever even set. There is no fear at all that the big will receive the ball after setting a screen.​
Our screeners don't pop.
Same as with the roll. No fear at all of a pick and pop.​
We don't get the ball inside.
If anyone was counting the number of times we had the ball inside the three point line before the shot clock was at 15, I bet they wouldn't have to enter double digits.​
Our spacing is horrible.
Our players are all over the place. Most of the time without any rhyme or reason is seems.​
Considering our lack of any sort of effective screen or inside play, our entire offense revolves around a player creating his own shot. Unfortunately, we do not have a player who is consistently capable of doing so.

My solutions:
Push the ball whenever possible and try to create mismatches. When their is a mismatch, you MUST exploit it!

Get the ball inside. I realize Ralph and Iverson are young, but keeping the ball outside the three point line the whole possession isn't going to cut it.

And finally, the picks. You know those things we set that accomplish absolutely nothing.
If you're going to set a pick, you damn well better roll or pop. If you are the guard receiving the pick, you MUST do one of three things: Turn the corner, pass to the roller/popper, shoot the ball. If you're coming off an off-ball screen you need to vary your cut. When you see your man jump on the other side of the screener you need to fade to the corner. If he trails you need to curl. They teach you this in 6th grade basketball. If you are setting an off ball screen you need to read the cutter. He fades, you roll to the basket. He curls, you pop out towards the corner. Screeners often times get open by setting a screen. Set picks at angles that actually benefit your offense. If you don't understand these angles, you should watch MSU set their picks. They are amazing. Guys are wide open all over the place.

Can you tell me why they are missing easy lay ups? What are your solutions for that?

It's obvious they are pressing on their lay-ups (all their shots really). Maybe if they weren't down 15 out of the gate they wouldn't be so tense.
If we made all of our easy lay-ups we would still be down by 20 and maybe could have gotten to 24 points by half.

Really, my point is that analysis of this game is a bit silly.

So I heard that Michael Carter committed this morning!... That high hasn't last long in Gold Country,

Analysis of this game is silly. That is true. But the one big concern about this team is that offensively 8 out of 10 games have been pretty poor. Defensively they bring it most every night and they can beat most teams on that alone. But this team has no clue in the half court offense. The two games we looked good on offense were Penn State and Ohio State. In both games teams gave us a lot better looks and we shot very well.

Really, my point is that analysis of this game is a bit silly.

Why? There isn't anything constructive to learn from this game? If MSU is exposing our weaknesses (besides some bad luck on layups and easy shots) why not figure out what needs to be fixed? I think there's been plenty of examples of what we can work on.

it's easy for me to analyze this game

i follow minnesota sports and this was a big game

THERE......I ANALYZED IT

Please don't take offense with what I'm about to say but offense is not Coach Smith's strong suit. One of the complaints at Kentucky was always his offense. I will never question the man from an X's and O's standpoint but teaching offense isn't his forte. Other coaches have said this both in public and private. He's just not a great teacher of offense. I'd rank him at average to be frank. Drawing up a play is one thing (he's really good at that) but teaching it is another.

What? How not to get spanked by a humiliated powerhouse?

I sat through some of these these last few years. It's not pretty and very frustrating especially if you're a powerhouse program getting spanked by other powerhouse programs.

Truth, this is why we don't care to have you here. I challenge you to find a single fan from minnesota who hangs out at Long Beach to tell them the flaws of Dan Monson during a terrible loss.

Truth, this is why we don't care to have you here. I challenge you to find a single fan from minnesota who hangs out at Long Beach to tell them the flaws of Dan Monson during a terrible loss.

The difference is I've been here cheering on during some of your wins as well. Was here for Wisky, Illinois and offered my support in another thread for this game as well. I just offer honesty.

Edit: If you want nothing but Gopher fans and Gopher talk perhaps you should offer a loyalty test pre-registration and the moderators should police this board differently i.e. Only talk of Gopher victories. I don't go around starting threads on Kentucky or threads to make fun of Gopher basketball when you drop a tough game.

Or, may I add, a Minnesota fan who hangs out at the UK boards to taunt them during their loosing streak and struggles with their new coach.

Ok, here's an analogy:

When the Titanic hit an iceburg and sunk in a huge disaster, did the ship builders of the world just say "well... we sure suck against iceburgs, but trying to figure out what went wrong is pretty silly"?

Or, may I add, a Minnesota fan who hangs out at the UK boards to taunt them during their loosing streak and struggles with their new coach.

Where do I "taunt"? Show me one post where I taunt? You can't. I understand your frustrations but being a hypocrite is no way to act.

Oddly enough, we don't care if you've cheered us on, and we're on to your motives. Any loss you'll be here to fan the flames. I'm quite aware that there are many UK fans who believe that Tubby purposefully undermined their program so no one from kentucky is ever going to be seen as benign here. Now i'm done talking to you.

Oddly enough, we don't care if you've cheered us on, and we're on to your motives. Any loss you'll be here to fan the flames. I'm quite aware that there are many UK fans who believe that Tubby purposefully undermined their program so no one from kentucky is ever going to be seen as benign here. Now i'm done talking to you.

You have no idea of my motives and it's best if you just ignore anything I say since you've shown an inability to think rationally or critically.

You have no idea of my motives and it's best if you just ignore anything I say since you've shown an inability to think rationally or critically.
Ok, I changed my mind.
I don't think the fact i distrust the motives of someone arrogantly self proclaimed as The Truth proves me irrational or lacking in critical thinking skills - on the contrary, and I'll enjoy pointing out whenever i feel so moved.

Ok, I changed my mind.
I don't think the fact i distrust the motives of someone arrogantly self proclaimed as The Truth proves me irrational or lacking in critical thinking skills - on the contrary, and I'll enjoy pointing out whenever i feel so moved.

I enjoy a good debate as long as it remains civil and intelligent. I'm also open to being challenged on any point I make and re-thinking my original position.

So why did you bring up Porter?

Why did I bring up Mike Porter in another thread? Bashing a talented young man who is obviously struggling is not something I agree with. The offensive problems don't lay all at his feet and I'd love to have him in lieu of the less talented Mike Porter.

So bashing Porter at another site is better. Uh huh.

So bashing Porter at another site is better. Uh huh.

I'm not bashing. I'm being critical. Mike is a great young man who brings effort and energy. He understands the game but he's not talented enough to be a starter getting major minutes at argueably the most important position on the floor.

If DeAndre Liggins had Mike Porters effort (or Mike had Liggins' talent) we would not be struggling like we are right now.

If it'll make anyone feel better I can use non-Kentucky parallels to illustrate my point.

We are missing a dynamic scorer -especially a guard or forward that can hit the 3 ball. penn state and NW beat MSU because they can shoot the 3. Wesbrook can occasionally get hot but Nolen, Hoff, etc. are not scorers that we need. Anyway Duke is getting clobbered at Clemson - I think playing MSU after the lost 2 home games was a terrible situation escpecially when they hit 2 threes to start the game. I think playing OSU after they won and we got slaughtered could hlp us! Hope so (Don't pull a football fade at the end of the season please!)

I think Rodney Williams will help you a lot in that regard next season. Is he slated for the 2 or is going to play the wing? He seems to be a player that can create when things bog down in the half court.

Top Bottom