OT: Tubby Hire

How is a guy who has never even been an NCAA head coach a "Tubby hire"?

Ughh, because he coaches the US olympic volleyball team?

He better win immediately and win big or JM will get a lot crap.

Ughh, because he coaches the US olympic volleyball team?

That's great. What does that have to do with NCAA volleyball again?

(By the way, I'm not saying he won't be successful, but Tubby has been coaching NCAA basketball since this guy was in grade school. It's a silly comparison.)

That's great. What does that have to do with NCAA volleyball again?

(By the way, I'm not saying he won't be successful, but Tubby has been coaching NCAA basketball since this guy was in grade school. It's a silly comparison.)

Anyone who follows collegiate volleyball is kind of in shock Minnesota was able to land him, and it probably occurred because his wife is from Minnesota, which makes sense from a family point of view. He led the mens team to an Olympic gold medal in 2008 and will have a womens team who will be extremely strong going into 2012. I am sure he will have girls lining up to play for the gophers. If anything, his resume annihilates any collegiate coach out there. He was the best possible hire the team could have made.

Also, look no further than the current USC womans coach to evaluate olympic to collegiate coaching transitions.

Anyone who follows collegiate volleyball is kind of in shock Minnesota was able to land him, and it probably occurred because his wife is from Minnesota, which makes sense from a family point of view. He led the mens team to an Olympic gold medal in 2008 and will have a womens team who will be extremely strong going into 2012. I am sure he will have girls lining up to play for the gophers. If anything, his resume annihilates any collegiate coach out there. He was the best possible hire the team could have made.

Hell, I would have been happy with the guy from Concordia in St. Paul ;) I should have put the sarcasm alert in my first post.

I do think it is crazy that Maturi has now "fell into" three pretty good hires in Tubby, Kill and VB guy.

Also, look no further than the current USC womans coach to evaluate olympic to collegiate coaching transitions.

Yes, I am aware of all of that. And, again, I am not saying it wasn't a great hire, great fit, or that he won't be successful here.

It's just that his resume isn't even remotely analogous to Tubby Smith's.

Yes, I am aware of all of that. And, again, I am not saying it wasn't a great hire, great fit, or that he won't be successful here.

It's just that his resume isn't even remotely analogous to Tubby Smith's.

What does his resume not being analogous to Tubby Smith have to do with this being a big time hire, which Maxy was referencing in the first place. Unless you're just trying to be difficult which is completely understandable.

What does his resume not being analogous to Tubby Smith have to do with this being a big time hire, which Maxy was referencing in the first place. Unless you're just trying to be difficult which is completely understandable.

yes, he's just being difficult by trying to follow the "tubby smith hire" reference to a tee to prove some weird point in his world, perhaps that he's the most literal person on this board.

tubby smith hire in this case means "big time", or "well reknowned", not someone with an extensive ncaa background who is currently reviled by his current fan base.

So then why not call it a "big time hire"? Why call it a "Tubby hire"? I'm not trying to be difficult - it's that the two have absolutely nothing in common other than being respected coaches in their field and having male sex organs (presumably). There is nothing else even a little bit similar about them.

So then why not call it a "big time hire"? Why call it a "Tubby hire"? I'm not trying to be difficult - it's that the two have absolutely nothing in common other than being respected coaches in their field and having male sex organs (presumably). There is nothing else even a little bit similar about them.

He does have major NCAA experience though before his NT stint.

Going to three final fours in eight years does help attract big name coaches, yes lol.

I agree......to put Tubby Hire as the title to this thread was kinda dumb. So when does he start.....since he's committed to team USA until 2012. I know they say a mutually agreed upon time.........but seems kinda odd. Looks like the assistant might coach this year......and he comes on board next year. Hope it doesn't hurt recruiting. It's the one program at the U that has had consistant success.

It's already rumored that he is being considered for the NC State VBall coaches position. The comparison is apt.

He also needs to produce consistent .500 records in the Big Ten to be considered a Tubby hire.

Volleyball announces coach.

"We are extremely excited to welcome Hugh, his wife Wiz, and their son Andrew, to the Golden Gopher family.”

??

images

images

Pretty Funny..."Tubby Hire" as a term has become as controversial a topic as Obama-care and the legacy of George W. Bush. Would any of the following hires constitute a Tubby Hire in the minds of GopherHolers?

Pillsbury hires Betty Crocker as CEO
College of Design hires Frank Lloyd Wright as Dean
Martha Stewart named chairman of the SEC

If not, what the heck would?

I'm just askin'...

Go Gophers!

Minnesota has finished third or higher in the Big Ten in Volleyball in something like 9 out of the last ten years and we have been to three final fours. I believe we would remain an elite program no matter who the new coach would be. This hire is a home run. I heard an interview with a current player who said recruits will be asking to play for Hugh. Volleyball players know who the Olympic coach is. He coached a gold medal men's team and will have a good women's team. I am very excited about the hire.

Minnesota has finished third or higher in the Big Ten in Volleyball in something like 9 out of the last ten years and we have been to three final fours. I believe we would remain an elite program no matter who the new coach would be. This hire is a home run. I heard an interview with a current player who said recruits will be asking to play for Hugh. Volleyball players know who the Olympic coach is. He coached a gold medal men's team and will have a good women's team. I am very excited about the hire.

Agree on all points. Based on McCutcheon's history and visibility in the volleyball world, I have a hard time thinking we could have gotten anyone better. Count me as one that is VERY excited about the hire and the future of Gopher volleyball.

Just picked up a "Gopher Volleyball" T Shirt!

This is better than the hiring of Tubby Smith. Hugh will be committed to continuing the great volleyball tradition and not just looking for a paycheck. Can't wait for him to take over!

I don't know if it is a better hire or not. What made the Tubby hire a "Tubby Hire" was that the basketball team was awful, and being able to hire a coach of that stature was really a surprise. Tubby had to pull a team out of the ditch, the new VB coach just has to maintain standards. It's a good hire, but it is no surprise that Minnesota VB was able to pull in a good coach.

Top Bottom